Small details that make you drop a VN

Larxe1

I'm curious what other small or petty thing that will make other people drop a VN. What I seriously hate a lot and make me drop a game is seeing the chapter name in the title bar of the game. For example, PROLOGUE_01. Its not a chapter name but its literally like the file name of the respective chapter. I think Hooksoft games have this like you see in the title bar PROLOGUE_01, or AZUSA01 ASUZA 02 and so on and so on. It makes the game feel for me incredibly short. Like my expectations are immediately cut off. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but an apt comparison is when you're reading a really good manga and you see the chapter list has only a few chapters.

I don't understand, can you show us an example? I don't think I have ever seen this happening, at least in full patched/localized VNs. And if this gives you a feeling of "budget", many great stories can be told in simple packages [looking at you, Higurashi].

Now, for me one thing that although doesn't make me drop a vn [but annoys me a lot] is a non-voiced protagonist. I don't feel like self inserting and all that jazz, I prefer that the characters have full identities - which also reflect on them having sprites.

A minor complaint is when characters don't change their positions at all, like, there are only one or two sprite variations - not that bad, but some sprites are usually in very specific poses that do not blend at all in every scene. A good example of that is Katahane, that, at least as far as I remember, one pose for each character, maybe more for the major ones.

1 minute ago, Stormwolf said:

You must drop like 95% of the vn's you read xD

It basically depends on how often it happens or how over the top it is, or how unfunny it is.

I dropped Sabbat of the Witch for several months because of the incredible over use of it.

Many VNs that overuse that humor are generally unfunny/not good anyway so yeah I'm very likely not to finish or even start them.

3 minutes ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

It basically depends on how often it happens or how over the top it is, or how unfunny it is.

I dropped Sabbat of the Witch for several months because of the incredible over use of it.

Many VNs that overuse that humor are generally unfunny/not good anyway so yeah I'm very likely not to finish or even start them.

I know what you mean. Its fine once or twice... well, not really, but i can stomach it. But some vn's or animes take it way too far. 

2 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

A girl unfairly calling the MC a pervert in a slice of life/comedy scene for a really stupid, inane, and likely hypocritical reason.

yeh, I kinda understand that :v many VNs, Animes these days usually have types of scenes:

"Walk into room at the wrong time"

"Would you like dinner ? a bath ? or ... me ?"

It's so overused that I no longer think that it's funny anymore.

42 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

I know what you mean. Its fine once or twice... well, not really, but i can stomach it. But some vn's or animes take it way too far. 

Yes. For example, Baldr Sky had it maybe a few times at most but the girl in question actually prostrated herself in apology when she realized she was wrong. That was nice.

35 minutes ago, droganpc said:

yeh, I kinda understand that :v many VNs, Animes these days usually have types of scenes:

"Walk into room at the wrong time"

"Would you like dinner ? a bath ? or ... me ?"

It's so overused that I no longer think that it's funny anymore.

I don't know why this humor even existed to begin with. Are writers trying to subliminally shame guys for liking sexual things through "jokes"?

I think so, but its hard to pinpoint since its very contradictive. You can see boys being very prim and proper (mostly the protagonist), very unlike actually teenagers with raging hormones. Accidents happen (they are accidents) and the girls will punish them, or they get punished by some other circumstance. They never drink alcohol even if it's a time period where age limit would not be a thing. And you can probably pile on more examples, but i can't think of any atm. 

The contradictive part is that it's the self insert being primed to act properly, yet they are showing all these things to real boys. I cannot see the logic, if there are any.

Girls however... I dunno if there are discriminatory reasons for this, but they seem much more free to write girl protagonists however they want. They can be lewd, they can drink even underage, they can spy on guys when they're bathing etc. This happened in male animes too, but 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Girls however... I dunno if there are discriminatory reasons for this, but they seem much more free to write girl protagonists however they want. They can be lewd, they can drink even underage, they can spy on guys when they're bathing etc. This happened in male animes too, but 20 years ago.

Girl protagonists in shounen and seinen - sure.

Protagonists in shoujo (including otome games, as far as I know) either have extremely meek personalities and always rely on guys to solve all of their problems, or extremely thoughtless and always make guys to stop them from doing something dumb. They are also almost required to be completely dense about romance. (and have small breasts).

There are exceptions, of course, but these particular tropes repeat so often that it's pretty annoying.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Males suffer the same fate though, just in a different way. Dense as bricks, or just no personality and we rely on the side cast to make it somewhat entertaining.

It seems they suffer the same fates really, its just opposites of each other. Japanese living in upside down world as usual. They make no sense.

Edited by Stormwolf

• 3 months later...

Things that make me drop a VN...

Horny protagonists. Excessively horny protagonists.

I've dropped one where the story started off pretty neat, and I was getting into it and then whilst he was level-headed and reasonably mature in the main plot, anytime we went into a side story he would just turn into this idiot "MY DICK IS SUPER ENGORGED! LETS PENETRATE SOME LADIES!" *nosebleed*

Not quite that bad, but you get the gist of it. I couldn't really put up with the disconnect from the somewhat interesting main plot to him being this absolute moron ruled by his bollocks anywhere else in the story.

Thats probably mostly the translation even if the protagonist is a pervert. Can't know that for sure of course, but what you quoted sounds like some serious translation liberties. Personally i much prefer a perverted protagonist over typical a meek asexual one who only discovers how to use his penis once he's dated a girl for a while.

Edited by Stormwolf