Redpill me on the Utawarerumono trilogy

ImperialScrolls

Looking forward to playing these games, but I have some questions.

So, as I understand it, this is the order the games were originally released: Prelude to the Fallen, Mask of Deception, Mask of Truth.

But in America they were localized and released in this order: Mask of Deception, Mask of Truth, Prelude to the Fallen.

What's the best order the approach the series? Go 1,2,3 or the localized order of 2,3,1? Does it matter?

Also, is there any transferring of save files across games, and will I screw things up if I play across multiple platforms? (For instance, I have the "Mask" games on Vita but was looking at getting Prelude on Steam).

Thanks!

Prelude to the Fallen is just a remake of the original Utawarerumono, which was released long before (roughly 13 years) Mask of Deception/Truth. If you want the most out of your experience, you should definitely play Prelude before the others. You'll appreciate cameos and whatnot a lot more. (I sure did, at least.)

And yeah, you can actually get some bonus items in Mask of Truth if you max out the BP and level of a character in Mask of Deception, but they don't make much of a difference if you ask me. They boost EXP and BP gain, but the bonus only affects the character the items are equipped to.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:19 PM, tahu157 said:

They're better on PS4 anyways or just get them on PC.

Not really surprising though, the Vita has been discontinued for a long time now.

8 hours ago, Shaun said:

They're better on PS4 anyways or just get them on PC.

Not really surprising though, the Vita has been discontinued for a long time now.

The article says removed from the Playstation store in general though so PS4 probably isn’t an option either. Not digitally anyway.

12 hours ago, tahu157 said:

The article says removed from the Playstation store in general though so PS4 probably isn’t an option either. Not digitally anyway.

My bad for not actually looking at the article, "Atlus confirms that the licensing has expired for both titles", why would they allow the titles licensing to expire to begin with?

They're just delisted, so long as you already bought them you can still download them again, delisted just means no one else can buy them digitally anymore but that will not prevent you from ever downloading them.  They can't stop you from playing physical copies though which is what I have for Mask of Truth, I used to own the physical copy to Mask of Deception but after platinuming it I sold it.

Edited by Shaun