Anime Spring List of 2021

Sonicboom2.0

• 4 months later...

The anime board seems so dead no one even bothered to make a proper Spring Season thread, so at this point I'll just repurpose this one. I'm not sure I'll watch anything more, but my isekai senses tingled when I saw that the Slime 300 is airing... It's pretty much in the same category as the Otome Villainess series/Bakarina, but even more relaxed/devoid of conflict. It takes the idea of an iskai'd protagonist that gets ultimate power but just uses it to lay low and live a comfortable life (also because in this case they were a miserable wage-slave in life)... And mostly stick with it for the sake of slice-of-life comedy rather than transitioning into some epic adventure. Also making the protagonist female nullifies the harem angle in sake of a "found family" plot. It's pretty banal and after the first episode, which was a nice introduction, the pace of introducing characters and resolving the mild conflicts is way too quick. The humour is also not as consistently good as the aforementioned Bakarina or, let's say, Gabriel Dropout... But it's still a very pleasant show. And considering how quickly the main cast was introduced (4 episodes in the "family" is pretty much complete), there's a lot of time for it to build them up and create some fun scenarios. I'm sure it will grow boring for some... But I personally find the chill factor of it quite satisfying. :3

Also, I think the "average abilities" anime did a very similar thing a few seasons ago? I should probably catch up on that one...

3 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I'm not sure I'll watch anything more, but my isekai senses tingled when I saw that the Slime 300 is airing... It's pretty much in the same category as the Otome Villainess series/Bakarina, but even more relaxed/devoid of conflict.

I watched the first two episodes. Honestly, felt too devoid of conflict for my tastes, so I decided not to continue.

Also, if you want more relaxing isekais I think you might enjoy Saint's Power is Omnipotent, which is also currently airing. I still haven't started the anime, though I definitely should, but the LN really works well for me as a dose of a calm and healing slice of life. I hope it's adapted well. The rating on MAL doesn't seem too good, but it generally doesn't matter that much. 🙂

Also, I think the "average abilities" anime did a very similar thing a few seasons ago?

They are somewhat similar in the way that there's never any real threat for the MCs and their friends, but Average Abilities is more focused on the battles and all that stuff. It's just that the MC is so OP that there's never any real threat for her, but she doesn't use full extent of her power since she tries (and fails) to look "average".

Edit. Honestly, I felt that the anime dumbed down some jokes a bit too much. Though the LN also gets more inconsistent after a few volumes, so I mostly continue reading it on inertia.

Also making the protagonist female nullifies the harem angle

It may be an unpopular opinion, but isekais with female protagonists are generally a lot better. :sachi:

Edited by Dreamysyu

On 5/15/2021 at 12:12 AM, Dreamysyu said:

Also, if you want more relaxing isekais I think you might enjoy Saint's Power is Omnipotent, which is also currently airing. I still haven't started the anime, though I definitely should, but the LN really works well for me as a dose of a calm and healing slice of life. I hope it's adapted well. The rating on MAL doesn't seem too good, but it generally doesn't matter that much. 

Ooooooh man, I'm so glad you recommended me this, it would be so easy to miss with those tags and an average rating. Can't say how good of an adaptation it is, but it is definitely the most gentle and heart-warming power fantasy anime I've ever seen. Four episodes in it might lack depth a little bit and I'm not sure whether it can get much further without going stale if it doesn't introduce some kind of meaningful conflict... But it made me smile pretty much all the way through. I even like the way it introduces romantic tension, with the protagonist being a tiny bit clueless but quickly adapting to new situations/acting her age and being reasonably assertive. The stylistic in general is kind of on the line between shoujo and josei...? But above all, it's just so nicely produced and... Well, gentle. I'm repeating myself, but I don't think any other word can express its tone better. It moves at a very deliberate pace, which never really breaks either for comedy or for drama... It just wants to make you relax and feel good about what you're watching and for me very much succeeds in that task.

Saw some reviews and I understand why people might hate it or justifiably call it out as shallow wish fulfilment typical for isekai, just for a female audience... But honestly, the way the anime utilizes the cliches so far is extremely inoffensive and even if I dug deep I cannot find a serious reason to complain about them. You probably need quite a lot of incel energy to get genuinely irritated by it. 😛 It's not a masterpiece by any metric, but if nothing spoils it for me... The sheer healing qualities will place it in 9/10 categories. :3

It's funny how you can enjoy a anime you thought was going to suck just by reading the summary of it and looking at the genre listings. I guess it's like the old saying goes, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." That's kinda how I felt when I watched Ushio & Tora the first time thinking it just a quick shounen made into a anime but by the end of it I genuinely liked the characters and how the romance was built up. Same can be said about Eyeshield 21 and Cross Games, I generally don't like sport animes but those 2 stuck out to me.