South Scrimshaw [Sound novel][Kinetic]

nomarsh

IKwikX8.jpg

In a warm subtropical shallow, a newborn whale opens his eyes for the first time. Our research team is present to record the moment. South Scrimshaw is a documentary that will cover one animal's entire natural life on an alien planet.

fNEm0du.png

5geB57u.png

3rdr8Wh.png

My professional background is in illustration and animation, and working on this story has been my passion project for awhile now. The illustrations are done in mixed media, a combination traditional watercolor and gouache with digital painting. I’ve been approaching this more as a graphic novel than a game, so the read is mostly linear. But where it lacks gameplay I hope the volume and complexity of the art make the experience feel full and meaningful.

South Scrimshaw is free to download and I will be updating it as new chapters are finished. The third should be done in a month or so. If you'd like to follow the development I will be making updates over on itch.io. It'd mean a lot to start finding an audience for it.

itch.io - Twitter

ZJ4I2NZ.png

Edited by nomarsh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, Ratworm said:

this is really cool! I love the natural world and the idea of this vn. and then the art is really gorgeous. can't wait to check out the chapters and good luck with your further development!

Thanks! Really appreciate you checking it out. As for the next update, I just finished the art on Saturday, typed up most of the Ren'Py stuff yesterday, I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll have the sound done and be able to share.

Edited by nomarsh

On 12/23/2020 at 11:18 PM, nomarsh said:

IKwikX8.jpg

In a warm subtropical shallow, a newborn whale opens his eyes for the first time. Our research team is present to record the moment. South Scrimshaw is a documentary that will cover one animal's entire natural life on an alien planet.

fNEm0du.png

5geB57u.png

3rdr8Wh.png

My professional background is in illustration and animation, and working on this story has been my passion project for awhile now. The illustrations are done in mixed media, a combination traditional watercolor and gouache with digital painting. I’ve been approaching this more as a graphic novel than a game, so the read is mostly linear. But where it lacks gameplay I hope the volume and complexity of the art make the experience feel full and meaningful.

South Scrimshaw is free to download and I will be updating it as new chapters are finished. The third should be done in a month or so. If you'd like to follow the development I will be making updates over on itch.io. It'd mean a lot to start finding an audience for it.

For convenience, the first chapter is on Youtube:

Thanks!

itch.io - Instagram - Twitter

ZJ4I2NZ.png

That's gorgeous artwork, wow! I need to check that out, since I'm on itch.io too! Thanks for sharing your VN : D

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am nercoing my thread to say this project now has some music! It makes it much more atmospheric and moody.

P4nMeYn.jpg

The VN is still a work in progress overall, I didn't have as much time to work on it last year as I would have liked. But if you do read it I'd love to get any feedback, good and the bad. Another chapter will be done next month too 👍

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...