Sieg

Hello there fuwadwellers. Haven't showed my face in a while, I doubt anyone still remembers me, but here goes.
I've come across this comic today and it got me thinking about the "fairness" of youtube censorship and such. "Nerf NOW!!" is a comic site I've been acconpanying for a while now, and it has given me some pretty solid and critic insights from time to time. But the real praise here should be going to the video game reviewer of this video, witch served as context and inspiration for said comic. To put it shortly, he does a great job pointing out the abuse and faults in copyright the way it is being handled on youtube and even at the steam community. No point in relaying the entire video here, so I'd appreciate if you guys could see it for yourselves and state your opinions on the matter.

Well copyright law itself is the most broken law in the entire world so no wonder people abuse it for their benefit, as with everything.

And about youtube, it is not because of "their decision" they took the video down, it is all automated system and more like their laziness that caused this. Whole google is so bad at this, getting any communication with any real person is impossible and they do stuff like this all the time, reduce ranking on a site for no real reason just because some automated system got triggered or some competition filled a report form and suddenly you lose position on google search.

So there are people abusing all these systems on google, competition can reduce your ranking and then people who "specialize in ranking increase" can do it to you (lower ranking) and then charge money for restoring it.

And most of the time it is all centered around copyright reports, so again I would easily say that copyright law is the cause of all this bullshit.

Well copyright law itself is the most broken law in the entire world so no wonder people abuse it for their benefit, as with everything.

And about youtube, it is not because of "their decision" they took the video down, it is all automated system and more like their laziness that caused this. Whole google is so bad at this, getting any communication with any real person is impossible and they do stuff like this all the time, reduce ranking on a site for no real reason just because some automated system got triggered or some competition filled a report form and suddenly you lose position on google search.

So there are people abusing all these systems on google, competition can reduce your ranking and then people who "specialize in ranking increase" can do it to you (lower ranking) and then charge money for restoring it.

And most of the time it is all centered around copyright reports, so again I would easily say that copyright law is the cause of all this bullshit.

Agreed. It would be easy just to say it's google's fault, but the problem runs much deeper. It's not like they don't have some responsibility though, "laziness" can easily be interpreted as malpractice, imprudence and/or negligence, none of wich relieves their duty in the least. I do realise it is a minefield with none to little jurisprudence, and the fact that there has to be an automated system making the calls given the size of the service involved, but that's exactly why it should be an issue treated more carefully, prone to receive specialized attention such as something like selecting SOME of the videos that are going down based on the reliability of the channel, number of views... you name it. Anyway, copyright sure is broken, but working around it should be the first step instead of "accept reality" (not implying that this is your standing in this).

Realistically speaking, though, I personally can't do shit about youtube or anything else right now, so no hipocrisy on my part =P

I'll tell you what i think copyright means today: Nothing

What matters today: Money

Youtube uses an automatic system for everything, i bet all employees at google sit around and chat for 90% of their days without a care in the world and get their huge paychecks at the end of the day. As long as company feels like it they can take down any video since their content is in it just because they won't aknowledge their failure and want to save every little penny they have. Youtube won't care to look at any proof even if that user clearly showed the CEO of the company was lying through his teeth by denying everything. The so called Fair Use is only valid until someone acuses you of stealing their stuff, then it is no longer valid. Basically it's worthless. And youtube's automatic system will just take down the video since that content has an assigned owner and that owner was the one that made the claim. There won't be an actual debate between youtube and its users because Google employees are LAZY, they don't want to deal with lawsuits and other law related problems so they just solve it the quick way and flag the user that's a minor hindrance and will quiet down and won't bother them againt. If anyone ever read the terms of service when they made their account, youtube is allowed to delete your account if they feel like it with no reason or prior notice given. These so call warnings are just formalities. Youtube users are powerless against big companies and they'll take down any video they feel is harmful to them regardless of how shady they are being.

Copyright laws are broken and almost worthless as they are merely one sided today. You're better off just drawing footage of the copyrighted material on Microsoft Paint.