122484300_186283316303866_54935007342498

Super/Human Identity is a dark superhero origin story RPG/visual novel hybrid featuring complex companion group dynamics,
romances, action, tough choices and vast variability.

Me and my wife have been working on this game for more than a year now, and would love if you checked out the demo on Itch.io and gave us your thoughts. Anything you could do to help us spread awareness of our Kickstarter would also be greatly appreciated.

Genre: Dark Superhero Drama
Platforms: Demo available on Steam and Itch.io for Windows and MacOS.
Release: Oct 2021
Twitter: @RockARoleGames
Facebook
Indiedb

Warning: This game contains mature themes, including violence, strong language, use of alcohol, and optional consensual sexual content.

ABOUT
In Super/Human Identity, you wake up with superpowers in an unfamiliar facility, the designation “Subject 5" your only clue to a former life you have no memory of. On the run, fighting for your life, you join up with Subjects 1-4. Together, you must cross a ruined city to get to safety and find answers. Beset by an external threat as well as internal conflict, you have to navigate alarming revelations and difficult choices, before finding your freedom.

The choices you make as Subject 5 will have a significant impact on your experience. They will – directly or indirectly – affect your companions' attitudes, identities, and relationships with each other, making for major differences in the group dynamics form one playthrough to the next. Any two characters can end up as friends or bitter enemies, and no one is safe from death.

Super/Human Identity also allows you to play as the character you want to play. Plenty of dialogue choices means that Subject 5 only says what you want them to say, without being forced to act a certain way. Your control extends to your physical appearance, with two different avatars to choose from, and your pronoun, with three options. As a queer studio, it is also important for us to be inclusive to the LGBTQIA+ community, and try to ensure that no matter who you are, you will be able to play a character who is like you. One aspect of this is our six romances, with both male and female love interests who are available for all genders, and a choice of whether to turn the relationship sexual or not.

KEY FEATURES
• Choose your avatar, pronoun and name as you develop your main character into who you want them to be with nuanced choices.
• Influence each of your companions' fates. Will they live or die? Who will they become if they survive?
• Experience different group dynamics as a consequence of your choices. Any two characters can be friends or bitter enemies.
• Romance one of 6 different characters – 3 male and 3 female – available for all genders.
• Think fast and use your telekinetic powers on the environment to defeat enemies. Choose between 4 difficulty settings ranging from Narrative to Superhuman.
• 7+ hours long, highly interactive, narrative gameplay. One story with vast variability.
• Stylized, cel-shaded characters and backgrounds, with gorgeous painted CG artworks illustrating key story moments.
• Epic, emotional, soundtrack from composer Edwin Montgomery (Warhammer 40,000: Regicide, Wasteland Remastered, Ghost In The Shell, Neverwinter).

CHARACTERS

8460afd2db69853a1050aefca863cd74.png

635ee0d78fae707d510db3de47ea0293.png

d59e71cdca3d8f00c89784191e5025c6.png

6713f9efdbdf4f18ce35ae5831018989.png

86891de31f8d076753e41592b334dd32.png

6fc40b480d9982224da596f0781ceca0.png

aa1a6a12ef728c8dfafe3c981764578b.png

CGs

9cb6ca827bbc55b0c16370cae8a7a62c.png

c96d950dfec90abd82f59ae25dfe1b47_origina

Edited by RockARoleGames
Removed faulty trailer link

13 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Why the two different art styles?

Having a more realistic style for the CGs was a stylistic choice we made early on in development. We personally really like the style and think it makes the CGs stand out a bit more in contrast to the regular sprites to give a bit more impact during those important moment. Having said that, we are open to criticism and making changes. Do you think the different artstyles work together or do they clash in a way that detracts from the overall experience?

23 hours ago, tahu157 said:

It's a little jarring, although I really really dislike that pre-rendered 3D look to start with so maybe I am just biased.

Okay, so it's more the mix of 3D backgrounds and 2D sprites that is jarring, then? Apologies, I thought you were referring to the difference between the sprites and the CG art.

The decision to use 3D backgrounds was taken so we could craft the action sequences we wanted, with full-fledged 3D animations, but I understand if it's not for everyone. 🙂

7 hours ago, RockARoleGames said:

Okay, so it's more the mix of 3D backgrounds and 2D sprites that is jarring, then? Apologies, I thought you were referring to the difference between the sprites and the CG art.

The decision to use 3D backgrounds was taken so we could craft the action sequences we wanted, with full-fledged 3D animations, but I understand if it's not for everyone. 🙂

I guess I just meant the transition between the hand-drawn artstyle of the sprites and the 3D CG versions of the characters in the last two pictures is pretty jarring. The background is less jarring although a 3D background probably meshes better with the 3D versions of the characters. 

I guess I have two issues with that 3D CG look. The first is that it's trying to be more or less photo-realistic but because it isn't actually photo-realistic it ends up bottoming out in the uncanny valley pretty hard. The second is that there are /a lot/ of VNs using this same character creation tool (idk what it is) so using that artstyle will never make your VN instantly identifiable as yours versus anyone else's that uses that same tool. 

38 minutes ago, tahu157 said:

I guess I just meant the transition between the hand-drawn artstyle of the sprites and the 3D CG versions of the characters in the last two pictures is pretty jarring. The background is less jarring although a 3D background probably meshes better with the 3D versions of the characters. 

I guess I have two issues with that 3D CG look. The first is that it's trying to be more or less photo-realistic but because it isn't actually photo-realistic it ends up bottoming out in the uncanny valley pretty hard. The second is that there are /a lot/ of VNs using this same character creation tool (idk what it is) so using that artstyle will never make your VN instantly identifiable as yours versus anyone else's that uses that same tool. 

Oh, I see. 3D characters isn't our style either. What we have is hand painted 2D CGs using a realistic art style.

• RockARoleGames changed the title to Super/Human Identity [Demo]