Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Stormwolf

Why is this a thing?

Like the thread title. Was gonna beat the meat one evening and went to chaturbate. To my surprise one of this "vtuber" species were there so naturally i checked just to see what it was about. It was parhetic. This girl had an annoying voice and was also a bad 3d anime model which was pretty janky and people threw money at her. Was pretty sad and what little faith i has left in humanity quickly evaporated.

The first thing to have in mind is that they're just people, like any streamer you might enjoy watching. If you don't get the appeal of streamers or youtubers at all then that's fine, but you won't get why people like this.
The main differences lie in the fact that they're semi-acting (amount depends and varies by person; some do very little besides maintain the pretence of the setting and others go all in into playing a character) and you're looking at anime art rather than people on webcams. Wonderful if one happens to be a misanthropist or or are fond of the models moving about and possibly looking cute.
The reason people support them monetarily is likely not much different than why they would do so for other streamers, but it's all played up to emulate a bit of how the idol industry functions with fans supporting the idols, though this varies by vtuber of course. In short, some people enjoy seeing performers or other individuals they admire or simply enjoy achieve success, and their direct support can have a hand in that. The general "nice" feeling of being directly addressed also factors into this when your messages or donations are acknowledged.

28 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

This girl had an annoying voice and was also a bad 3d anime model which was pretty janky and people threw money at her. Was pretty sad and what little faith i has left in humanity quickly evaporated.

The voice of the person, uh, varies by person, as one might assume. It's hardly indicative of anything, but some might attempt to emulate voices or speech patterns common in anime, since their fanbase is likely to draw from that pool. I assure you you can easily find many different voices... Naturally...
I'd like to know what you mean by the model being janky, and I'd like even more to know which person you saw that gave you this impression. I'm not saying they are not, they may well be and you may consider even the more advanced tech out there right now to be janky. It's subjective, but for the most part the only purpose is obscuring identity and looking cute, which it tends to fulfil.

Finally, might I ask what was "sad" about it?

I'm just as disappointed as you are—disgusted, in fact. I wonder, who was this pathetic, janky anime girl whom people kept throwing their hard-earned money at? Please tell me, and preferably include a link, so that I may weep alongside you.

39 minutes ago, Fiddle said:

I'm just as disappointed as you are—disgusted, in fact. I wonder, who was this pathetic, janky anime girl whom people kept throwing their hard-earned money at? Please tell me, and preferably include a link, so that I may weep alongside you.

Pretty silly way to waste hard earned cash. They better find someone to help them manage their spending. 

https://twitter.com/projektmelody?lang=en

Enjoy, just dont waste your money on some sad depressed girl who is too lazy for real work

31 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

Sorry it was me who threw $500 at her...

Nope, your parents wouldnt give you such a sum

Edited by Stormwolf

🤷‍♀️ people like different things, and just because you dont enjoy it doesnt mean others wont. 

people keep throwing money at every streamer for some attention. doesnt matter if its v-tuber or not. 

no need to start insulting them for it. 

some joins the bandwagon because its popular and some feel more comfortable with it.   not having to show off themself and have theyre persona. its the persona people like. not the model

majority of streamers already have fake persona to get you´re attention. just deal with it. doesnt matter if its 2d or 3d.

Dude, it's just... Streaming. With a gimmick. Projekt Melody girl is actually dull AF, I will give you that, but if you watch someone like Gawr Gura, Amelia Watson, Nyanners... They are actually talented streamers. Meaning people that can make this stuff consistently entertaining and are well-versed in weeb & gaming culture. You can say that's not much, but it's also not at all something anyone can pull off.

I'm not really one to watch full streams often and I definitely don't have money to simp for v-tubers, but the levels of salt in your post are kind of hilarious. You can dislike the gimmick, but it's not hard to get why it works if you watch more than just one stream by a random creator. 

Also, that "real work" line is actually pretty pathetic of you. I might not care for Projekt Melody in particular, but very few people ever get anywhere on YouTube/as content creators without working their ass off. Even if they suck money from horny weebs – and really, those indie v-tubers are usually into that stuff themselves and you can feel it, while "real" female streamers are more often completely cynical/detached from their audience.

Why is this a thing? Well perhaps you should watch more Vtuber video to understand it if you felt that it's important to make a thread just because you're feeling offended about that instead of just let it go. Anyway I'm not watching Vtuber video, although if some people like them then it's their own business and therefore I didn't have any right to interfere. And no unless the Vtubers affect your life at some point negatively, you shouldn't be salty when people like Vtuber.

Edited by littleshogun