Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Emi

Gawr Gura

Gawr.Gura.full.3075738.png

Gawr Gura is an English Virtual YouTuber associated with hololive, as part of its English (EN) branch first generation of Vtubers alongside Ninomae Ina'nis, Takanashi Kiara, Watson Amelia and Mori Calliope.

Gura is friendly and readily likeable, and often amuses with foolish antics. She has difficulty telling left from right; once sent the entire hololive EN digging for 20 minutes the wrong direction because she misread a map; often misspells words ("twister" as "tiwster", "salmon" as "salman", "almond milk" as "Ame milk", "iron" as "arm"); once mistook bread for a potato; has trouble remembering her own age; once calculated that 9+10 equals 11; and failed to know the term "simp", which she corrected to "shrimp".

However, she is also highly clever, as evidenced by her quick wit and vast knowledge of Shark Facts. When questioned on why she was not "boing boing", she excused it by noting that she was more "hydrodynamic". Her skill with fast-paced rhythm games is exceptional, and she is highly ambitious.

Gura is a descendant of the Lost City of Atlantis, who swam to Earth while saying, "It's so boring down there LOLOLOL!" She bought her clothes (and her shark hat) in the human world and she really loves them. In her spare time, she enjoys talking to marine life.

She is considered to be the fastest growing Vtuber of all time

She currently have 1 040 000 subscribers

:youtube::wiki:

I wonder how much Hololive expected her to be the "flagship" streamer of the EN 1st gen? I think all of the girls proved relatively successful, with none seriously lagging in popularity, but Gura's growth is kind of insane and doesn't seem to be stopping. And it seems to be primarily through her sheer wholesomeness and likeability?

And as a sidenote, Hololive did a really good job with castings for their EN streamers. The amount of roleplay/dedication to the gimmicks seem really negligible for most of them and it's really their personalities that makes this stuff work. Gura in particular just seems like an incredibly nice and positive person and her gimmick only works by humourously clashing with her nature.

2 hours ago, droganpc said:

so she's really 9000 years old :leecher:

Yeah, that's the "canon". A 9000+ years old loli shark from Altantis. 😛

I'm not sure how Hololive JP lore works, but on the EN side it's so paper-thin it's basically just a bunch of inside jokes derived from the character designs. Like, even the introduction screens for the girls had more (literal) question marks than clear statements on what their gimmicks are about. Which is kind of bonkers, but also a very non-JP approach to things that I personally like a lot. They seem to give a lot of area for their streamers to define their personas/do stuff in their own way. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I'm not sure how Hololive JP lore works, but on the EN side it's so paper-thin it's basically just a bunch of inside jokes derived from the character designs. Like, even the introduction screens for the girls had more (literal) question marks than clear statements on what their gimmicks are about. Which is kind of bonkers, but also a very non-JP approach to things that I personally like a lot. They seem to give a lot of area for their streamers to define their personas/do stuff in their own way. 

Somehow I feel weird while watching her debut video :leecher:

The voice acting and on-screen character don't match each other at all ! On the other hand, Kizuna Ai's Hej Monika is just too wholesome ... :Chocola:

On 11/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I wonder how much Hololive expected her to be the "flagship" streamer of the EN 1st gen? I think all of the girls proved relatively successful, with none seriously lagging in popularity, but Gura's growth is kind of insane and doesn't seem to be stopping. And it seems to be primarily through her sheer wholesomeness and likeability?

And as a sidenote, Hololive did a really good job with castings for their EN streamers. The amount of roleplay/dedication to the gimmicks seem really negligible for most of them and it's really their personalities that makes this stuff work. Gura in particular just seems like an incredibly nice and positive person and her gimmick only works by humourously clashing with her nature.

Gura is interesting. There's something to be said about the sheer excitability and "wholesomeness" of mannerisms like repeating random sounds instead of swearing* during panic moments. Furthermore, she frequently plays horror games which always attract people, and adds to that a commentary style that is prone to jinxing and overconfidence. Crafted as it may be, it's the right move to lead to the best situations for both the player and any watchers. Finally she's very good at just chatting. A key element. I think she may have mentioned at some point that she keeps a list of conversation topics to bring up whenever commentary seems to be dying.

*As a person, I do not swear in public. Even when reading aloud it is difficult to me. In a strange juxtaposition, I seem to find casual swearing to be hilarious. Even more so with Hololive because of how it contrasts with the image and roleplay that is being put on. There's the reason I end up liking Amelia Watson so much :P