Iwaihime coming west October 23

ciel_yuri

Publisher ShiraVN and developer DMM Games will release an international edition of supernatural horror visual novel Iwaihime for PC via Steam and Johren on October 23. It will support English, Japanese, and Chinese (Simplified and Chinese) language options. A demo is available now via Steam.

Written by Ryukishi07, the creator of the When They Cry series, Iwaihime first launched for PC in January 2016 in Japan. An updated version, which was partially rewritten and contained additional scenario and CG images, was released as Iwaihime: Matsuri for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in July 2017 in Japan. The international edition of Iwaihime includes the scenario adjustments and CG improvements Iwaihime: Matsuri.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/supernatural-horror-visual-novel-iwaihime-for-pc-coming-west-on-october-23

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

Never heard about ShiraVN, but it seems like the translation will be done by Lemnisca, so that's good, I guess. :__: More Ryukishi is always good!

I didn't hear about them either until I saw this this morning. Ryukishi makes some good stories and frankly i wish there was more.

4 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Now, the real question is:

Is there another Rika clone in this VN? :nokia:

no, only RGD has a "clone". Well, and that other vn which I won't spoil. Ciconia, Trianthology, Iwahime, Higanbana and some other works don't have a clone.

Edited by Silvz

14 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Never heard about ShiraVN, but it seems like the translation will be done by Lemnisca, so that's good, I guess. :__: More Ryukishi is always good!

Yeah, I wasn't aware them either, but I took a look at their Steam page, before downloading the Iwaihime demo and they seem like they might be a really good publisher. I don't see any of the bad translation or "only offering all ages" complaints that some publishers on Steam have.
This "Master Magistrate" game looks like it might be something I'd enjoy. Despite being on Steam it has an easily accessible free restoration patch. It seems like they're trying to do everything right based on my first impressions at least.
https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/ShiraVN

As for ShiraVN itself, so far there's no much controversy when it come to their policy especially in regard of all age release only. Not to mention that their VNs so far are quite well received and there's no much complain (Or perhaps almost none) in regard of bad translation, so I can say that in term of release number they already doing well compared to Sol Press lol. Lastly, it's good to see that we can see more Ryukishi's work being translated even though it's not by Mangagamer, and Iwaihime here is one of most requested VNs to be translated so I'll look forward to see what ShiraVN can do in the future.

About Iwaihime itself I played the trial and as I can see some of the characters are quite deja vu of Higurashi (Susumu here is like Keichi while Kiko here is like Mion), although of course this time there's none of the bad art happen in there. For the Rika's clone that Dreamysyu ask about, obviously it's Toe even though her hair is not blue especially if you look at her setting later.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...

ShiraVN has now announced when exactly the game os going to release.

Oct. 23, 2020 10AM PDT

And you can win a free copy in their give-away on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/shira_vn/status/1317857976405774338

And since it hasn't been mentioned here John Hooper / Lemnisca handled the translations for Iwaihime. They worked on Root Double, Dies irae and Raging Loop before.

Furthermore the release offers the extra content of the console release as an DLC on steam.

Oh and the Demos apparently skips a scene so keep than in mind if you played the Demo and buy the full release.

You can also get this from Johren if you've been like buy the VN from there. Anyway congratulation to Shira VN in regard of Iwaihime release, and I hope that we can see more interesting VN releases from them. And also I would say just don't expect something like Higurashi or Umineko seeing that Ryukishi did write for other company and thus being held back, although from the trial I can see some writing did resemble Higurashi to a degree especially in regard of the characters like I said beforehand.

PS - Almost forget to say that at least you didn't need to worry about Ryukishi's arts just in case you didn't like on how he drew the sprites.

Edited by littleshogun