How make the translated script for this particular game appear correctly (uses .fpk archival format)?

rswazy

Hello fuwanovel members/users. I've been using VNR to machine translate novels, but I  just wanted to try translating some novels permanently (at the moment I have 11 I'd like to complete, but for now I'm starting on one). At the moment I decided I wanted to start with an eroge, Sister Lesson https://vndb.org/v28016#main

Now, after reading through some posts on this site and the others I began my attempt to translate. This visual novel I chose uses the .fpk archival format. I used GARbro to extract the data.fpk file and then edited the ACT_A_JA.txd file, which opened with the script in japanese. I then used google translate to translate a portion of the beginning text to test if translation of the script is possible, inserted the translated text into the file where the previous text was, and finally I repacked with AE (GARbros is unable to create .fpk files.). I then replaced the "data.fpk" with the new "data.fpk" file I created in the games directory and tried loading the game.

The game loaded and incredibly, the translated script did in fact appear. However, the script for some reason no longer appears fully within the confines of the text box in the game and sentences are fragmented as a result.

I already tried translating the larger ACT_A.txt file, but I discovered that translating that and repacking the data.fpk file with it won't cause the translation to appear. It seems only translating the .txd files causes the translated text to appear (although translating the .txt file as well doesn't seem to change anything in regards to game running and the translation from the .txd file still appears).

At the moment only the ACT_A_JA.txd file is translated and repacked into data.fpk. Please provide some advice on what to do to make the text appear within the confines of the text box properly if you can.

I've attached screenshots of the game running depicting this problem, along with a screenshot of the txd file I edited.

3.png

https://ibb.co/HHpCMnk

https://ibb.co/mTbFVJ2

https://ibb.co/rm6JsSG

Edited by rswazy

You want to publish MTL patches online? 🤔

Btw, it's unnecessary if so. VNR has a built-in ablity to replace the Japanese text with machine-translated text (right inside the textbox), just as if you applied an MTL patch over the game. Unless your goal is something else?

Edited by Infernoplex

7 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

You want to publish MTL patches online? 🤔

Btw, it's unnecessary if so. VNR has a built-in ablity to replace the Japanese text with machine-translated text (right inside the textbox), just as if you applied an MTL patch over the game. Unless your goal is something else?

I don't necessarily want to publish those patches online (if someone requests me to share them I guess I could do so 🙂), but use them for my own personal use. I'm aware of VNR's machine translation capability, but I'd like to make a permanent patch as there are a couple of useful benefits (e.g. can play offline, don't have to deal with translation service IP block after a certain amount of usage).

8 hours ago, rswazy said:

I don't necessarily want to publish those patches online (if someone requests me to share them I guess I could do so 🙂), but use them for my own personal use. I'm aware of VNR's machine translation capability, but I'd like to make a permanent patch as there are a couple of useful benefits (e.g. can play offline, don't have to deal with translation service IP block after a certain amount of usage).

I see. Yeah, you have a point. For VNR, you need to be always online.

Anyway, to answer your question -- Is the engine SystemC? A couple of engines use .fpk format, and SystemC is one of them. Judging by how the script file is named, I'm guessing that's indeed SystemC. If so, were you using this to change the game's script text?

I suspect it is system-c, but I'm not a programmer, nor do I have any experience programming, so I'm not sure how I would conclusively tell.

17 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

I see. Yeah, you have a point. For VNR, you need to be always online.

Anyway, to answer your question -- Is the engine SystemC? A couple of engines use .fpk format, and SystemC is one of them. Judging by how the script file is named, I'm guessing that's indeed SystemC. If so, were you using this to change the game's script text?

Also, no , I didn't use the program you linked to, I just used Notepad++. The program you linked to does seem potentially suitable.

Anyway, I've made a decision. Yesterday, while awaiting a response from anyone on this thread, I decided to investigate translating the script of another game I have which uses RealLive engine and was released in 2017. I read a guide for RLDev and spent 3 hours to get it running, but when I finally ran cygwin an error was produced suggesting the RealLive engine for the game I was targeting wasn't supported and the seen.txt wasn't decrypted. Following this, I looked into the possibility that someone released newer tools to decrypt newer RealLive releases or decrypted the seen.txt of the particular game I wanted to translate, but unfortunately it seems that no one has.

I was disheartened by this revelation and as such, I've decided to abandon my attempts at visual novel permanent translation for the time being until sufficient tools are released for all the games I want to translate or I obtain the programming wherewithal to hack into scripts myself. My reason for complete abandonment of all projects as opposed to just the RealLive one is I was planning on paying for an unlimited character machine translation service, such as DeepL Pro, for a month and then just batch translating everything within that timeframe to save costs.

I've now decided on two courses of action:

1. Learn Japanese to read everything I want

2. Use a program called Textractor and use an API key from google cloud service (first 500,000 characters translated per month are free) or the CAT tool API key from DeepL Pro (30 day free trial, unlimited characters) to bypass the rate limit on translated text (VNR doesn't seem to support API keys).

I tried google cloud service translate and it works like a charm.😀

Thank you for your responses nonetheless @Infernoplex

10 hours ago, rswazy said:

Thank you for your responses nonetheless

No problem, I didn't help you that much anyway. That said...

You made me curious. For the love of God, what VN is still using RealLive in 2017?! :D That's outdated by years now! It got out of service when Siglus engine came out.

Btw, you just went through the same thing I experienced with RLDev. You have my respects for even trying to do stuff with it xD

14 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

No problem, I didn't help you that much anyway. That said...

You made me curious. For the love of God, what VN is still using RealLive in 2017?! :D That's outdated by years now! It got out of service when Siglus engine came out.

Btw, you just went through the same thing I experienced with RLDev. You have my respects for even trying to do stuff with it xD

Niizuma Koyomi https://vndb.org/v20515#main

Yea, RLDev was a bit of a mistake, but I guess it was a learning experience nonetheless. I had read posts suggesting that extracting scripts from reallive was pretty difficult even before trying, but I felt I needed to see the results for myself to be convinced. lol, Such as silly idea for a non-programmer like myself 😆

7 hours ago, rswazy said:

Damn, so Hadashi Shoujo VNs are using Reallive? :( 

I was interested in their stuff for a while now. What a shame. Especially Lovedory Halation... All Reallive VNs have a different encryption key on the script file. That's the hardest part to figure out. For that, you need a genuine hacker. I mean, from what I heard it's not that hard to find it. But... err, you still need to know what the fuck you are doing. And if you're not really a reverse engineer, then you're out out of luck :(

8 hours ago, rswazy said:

I had read posts suggesting that extracting scripts from reallive was pretty difficult even before trying, but I felt I needed to see the results for myself to be convinced. lol, Such as silly idea for a non-programmer like myself 😆

Same here. I was too stubborn to give up, and just went through with it. Needless to say, I didn't accomplish anything, and then someone who's a real hacker solved the problem in a day. So yeah... we can't really do anything without help from a real professional.