PS5 Full Reveal Happens Tomorrow!

Sonicboom2.0

It's going to be $500 for normal version and $400 digital only, right? I wonder how much of a financial hit Sony will take in practice to keep the prices competitive... 

Welp, I'm buying a Series S anyways. I basically have no interest in current gen consoles outside of the Game Pass and some Xbox classics I want to revisit (my 360 broke down years ago and I didn't get a console since). 

16 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

S series is crap. Save up your money and buy the proper one one.

But what use I have for it when I'm not going to have a 4k TV in foreseeable future, won't be downloading large games that are likely to fill the SSD quickly and especially won't be buying physical copies when I have Game Pass? I literally have no need for any of X's main features.

Plus S' compact factor and likely much lower power consumption are very appealing to me, as it's exactly the qualities my gaming PC lacks. Saying S is crap is completely misunderstanding the niche it's meant to fill. It's basically the same as claiming Switch is terrible because it has low computing power. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Ohh but the switch is crap too, always was. Doesnt change the fact that it has good games though which it cant run satisfyingly. 4k means nothing, you'll get a horrible console too slow to run the games in the distant future and devs need to sacrifice this and that for you to run games in 30 fps. Read ID already complaining about its slow memory. Dont get defensive, some things might appeal to you, but it is not a good console. Heed my warning or not, entirely up to you ;)

Edited by Stormwolf

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Ohh but the switch is crap too, always was. Doesnt change the fact that it has good games though which it cant run satisfyingly. 4k means nothing, you'll get a horrible console too slow to run the games in the distant future and devs need to sacrifice this and that for you to run games in 30 fps. Read ID already complaining about its slow memory. Dont get defensive, some things might appeal to you, but it is not a good console. Heed my warning or not, entirely up to you ;)

It's still an absurdly narrow way of looking at it. I agree that the existence of S will limit what devs will be to do on the high end and eventually there will be games that will genuinely struggle on it, just like many struggle on Switch and original Xbox One. But those two consoles' architecture was actually way more dated at the time of their premiere than S' is. It's CPU power and the SSD should make the vast, vast majority of stuff run smoothly, with visual fidelity downscaled to various degrees – but really, sometimes just by limiting stuff to Full HD. 4k is very demanding for the hardware whether you want to admit that or not. It's an absolutely reasonable compromise for a piece of hardware this cheap and versatile.

And along with how game pass is being expanded by Microsoft... It's both a reasonable entry-level console and a great legacy gaming box. I have my PC for high-end stuff. But some games are more fun played on TV, or were never brought to PC... And S is the best value proposition when it goes to playing those.

Edit: Oh hey, I think the Sony conference is starting now! I heard rumors that they will undercut Microsoft with a $450 base price for PS5... But that seems like crazy talk honestly. They would take a MASSIVE loss per unit sold...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Not sympathies for microsoft. They were completely useless this current generation. Its up to them to make themselves more attractive.

Yup, they definitely try to do that with affordability and an attractive subscription plan (and seriously, Game Pass Ultimate will be pretty amazing by the time Series S & X launch). Which is something Sony is not willing to do, but it also has God of War 2 so it probably doesn't have to. :p

As the PS prices are indeed $500 for standard version and $400 for digital only, it will be fascinating to observe how the things are going to shape up over time. I think it was never the case that Sony and Microsoft chose such vastly different approaches to how make their consoles appealing. While the new Xboxes are a bit redundant with the old models and PC gaming, Microsoft kind of wants you to have both their console and a PC and keep them under one subscription, giving you convienient access to a really large library of games. And as four months of the Game Pass Ultimate cost as much as one PS 5 game bought on launch... Only access to some very specific franchises could convince me to choose PlayStation... And I'm not into any of their exclusives, so getting an Xbox makes a lot more sense to me. 

25 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Ohh, but i dont care about their services. I want good games. Im simple that way.

Yeah, I imagine that's how many people think... But at the same time, Xbox One sucked consistently when it goes to exclusives and still shipped around 50 mln units. Apparently, people still found stuff to play on those. ;) I think Sony will have to offer something to counter Game Pass, I'm a weirdo for sure, but I don't imagine I'm the only one that finds a massive catalogue of legacy and current gen games under a reasonably-priced subscription appealing (to the point I actually want to buy a console for the first time in over a decade).