Help with extracting NScript script files

Tonora

So, I and other friend of mine wanted to translate "The Noose" in my native language but... I don't really know nothing about extracting the script or things like that.

I did a little research and found out the game was made on NScript but I didn't find anything that could help me, I also did some research of how to extract it but found nothing that worked.

Here are the screenshot of the files, It would be great if someone could help me in this matter, Thanks!

https://prnt.sc/ucs4fg

There used to be a good set of command line tools for NScripter but those seem to have disappeared. Fortunately Garbro will unpack and repack NScripter archives:

https://github.com/morkt/GARbro

If, when you try to play your translation, the game crashes with an error about the script you've translated, then you'll want to snag and build a copy of ONScripter. That will give you an exe to replace default exe that came with the VN download. The new one shouldn't crash like that.

http://onscripter.osdn.jp/onscripter.html.en

6 hours ago, tahu157 said:

There used to be a good set of command line tools for NScripter but those seem to have disappeared. Fortunately Garbro will unpack and repack NScripter archives:

https://github.com/morkt/GARbro

If, when you try to play your translation, the game crashes with an error about the script you've translated, then you'll want to snag and build a copy of ONScripter. That will give you an exe to replace default exe that came with the VN download. The new one shouldn't crash like that.

http://onscripter.osdn.jp/onscripter.html.en

Thanks! But like I said I don't know nothing about scripts and such, i tried extracting the "arc.nsa" but there was only .jpg, .mp3 and .waw arquives in there, and the .exe don't seem to have the scripts in there too, do you know where it possibly is? It would be great if you could see the screenshot in my post up there and guide me, thanks and sorry for anything.

EDIT: Found out a arquive called "nscript.dat" but when I try to open it does nothing, if I try to extract it says: "file could not be opened as resource archive."

Edited by Tonora

1 hour ago, Tonora said:

Thanks! But like I said I don't know nothing about scripts and such, i tried extracting the "arc.nsa" but there was only .jpg, .mp3 and .waw arquives in there, and the .exe don't seem to have the scripts in there too, do you know where it possibly is? It would be great if you could see the screenshot in my post up there and guide me, thanks and sorry for anything.

EDIT: Found out a arquive called "nscript.dat" but when I try to open it does nothing, if I try to extract it says: "file could not be opened as resource archive."

Oh, sorry. Sometimes the script is just a text document inside the arc.nsa file, sometimes it's that nscript.dat, and sometimes it's both. In this case, you'll need the command line programs I mentioned earlier. The original download for those tools is gone, but it looks they are mirrored here:

https://kaisernet.neocities.org/onscripter/#mirrors

Are you familiar with using command line programs?

EDIT:

Looks like there are pre-built ONScripter exes there too if you need them/don't want to do the build yourself.

Edited by tahu157

Hmm, I see... Well, I tried looking into the "arc.nsa" but as i said, there's only ".jpg" "mp3" and arquives like that, the nscript.dat I really can't open it,  I tried to opne with Notepad++ but there's only codes in there... I'm really not familiar with command line programs... I used some programs and extracted some kirikiri arquives before but don't know if this is the same... so, what exactly do I need to do now? i'm sorry about that but i'm pretty lost myself... I tried opening CMD and did exactly what I did to extract kirikiri games but nothing happened... pretty sure I did a small brain move but like I said, i'm a little lost here...

17 hours ago, Tonora said:

Hmm, I see... Well, I tried looking into the "arc.nsa" but as i said, there's only ".jpg" "mp3" and arquives like that, the nscript.dat I really can't open it,  I tried to opne with Notepad++ but there's only codes in there... I'm really not familiar with command line programs... I used some programs and extracted some kirikiri arquives before but don't know if this is the same... so, what exactly do I need to do now? i'm sorry about that but i'm pretty lost myself... I tried opening CMD and did exactly what I did to extract kirikiri games but nothing happened... pretty sure I did a small brain move but like I said, i'm a little lost here...

It's very similar to the kirikiri extraction tools. From that ONScripter tools download copy nscdec.exe and nscmake.exe into the game folder. Copy the path to the game folder, and then in command prompt put in the following command:

cd PATH_TO_FOLDER_HERE

Once that is done type in "nscdec.exe" to rip the script. A new text document called "result.txt" should appear in the game folder. That is your decoded script file that you can edit easily with Notepad++. To recompile the script, type in "nscmake.exe result.txt". When you do that you should see that the "Date modified" field for the nscript.dat file is updated, which means that it worked and if you try to run the game you should see your translation instead of the original text.

5 hours ago, tahu157 said:

It's very similar to the kirikiri extraction tools. From that ONScripter tools download copy nscdec.exe and nscmake.exe into the game folder. Copy the path to the game folder, and then in command prompt put in the following command:

cd PATH_TO_FOLDER_HERE

Once that is done type in "nscdec.exe" to rip the script. A new text document called "result.txt" should appear in the game folder. That is your decoded script file that you can edit easily with Notepad++. To recompile the script, type in "nscmake.exe result.txt". When you do that you should see that the "Date modified" field for the nscript.dat file is updated, which means that it worked and if you try to run the game you should see your translation instead of the original text.

Well, that looks insanely easy but I'm having a problem, when I type "cd" and the path do the folder in the command prompt it always says "the system couldn't find the specific way" pretty sure I did everything right but I don't know... I put the command like this: "cd C:\Program Files (x86)\The noose nscdec.exe" but it always says that, pretty sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know...

ok, nvm, It's seems that I did it... but another problem rises again... I did that and this shows up > https://prnt.sc/ue03m4 and the "results.txt" that you said don't appear in the games folder... I'm pretty sure this is easy to solve but I don't know...

Edited by Tonora

Don't worry, I'm really grateful that you are helping me in this matter...

Sooo... I did what you said but this happens> https://prnt.sc/uelq2c

Basically nothing happens, I'm pretty sure I did everything right but as always, I don't know...

Edit: I tried doing it again with the arc.nsa and nscript.dat and I did see that the cmd frozen for like 1 second... but after that nothing happens.

Edited by Tonora

19 hours ago, Tonora said:

Don't worry, I'm really grateful that you are helping me in this matter...

Sooo... I did what you said but this happens> https://prnt.sc/uelq2c

Basically nothing happens, I'm pretty sure I did everything right but as always, I don't know...

Edit: I tried doing it again with the arc.nsa and nscript.dat and I did see that the cmd frozen for like 1 second... but after that nothing happens.

When it runs correctly it doesn't say anything command prompt. Did the result.txt appear in the folder?

Sorry my dude, I can't make it work either. I dropped the script file in a hex editor and compared it to a few other scripts from NScripter VNs. The other scripts all start off exactly the same but the one from The Noose is different and I'm not sure why. The author might have done something to obfuscate the script further, idk.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:25 PM, tahu157 said:

Sorry my dude, I can't make it work either. I dropped the script file in a hex editor and compared it to a few other scripts from NScripter VNs. The other scripts all start off exactly the same but the one from The Noose is different and I'm not sure why. The author might have done something to obfuscate the script further, idk.

Sorry for the late reply, was a little busy these days... Well you don't have to worry about it, a good thing is that now I know how to extract NScrpit VNs :) 

22 hours ago, binaryfail said:

I don't see anything unusual about this one.

Running nsdec, editing the script, and getting it back in should be fairly straightforward.

PwRVvTD.jpg

OH MAH GAH! how did you do that!? xD

It's doesn't show the results so I don't know if it's because my Windows Version (Windows 8.1) or something like that... When I do it, it goes normal but the results.txt are nowhere to found... Can you send me the Results.txt so I can try to translate some lines and try to repack it? I'm pretty sure I can normally repack it but not extract for some reason...

EDIT: I tried to do the same command you did and nothing happens, this is really strange...

Edited by Tonora

2 hours ago, binaryfail said:

This is what I got for the result.txt file: link here.

And for what it's worth, I did try it on Windows 8.1 which worked fine. (I ran the second command twice to test one more edit.)

Thank you!

Then I don't understand what is happening, I did everything right but the arquive don't extract and for what I tested, I also can't repack it, Do you have any idea why this is happening?

https://prnt.sc/uh99ru

EDIT: I tried 3 times and nothing... also, when I edit it, it says the file is protected and I need to run Notepad++ in administrator mode...

EDIT²: Why I need to be soo DUMB! I just needed to run the cmd in administrator mode and then I got it to work .-.

EDIT³: Soo... I think I have a problem again... I tried to repack it but it seems to not work, as you can see here: https://prnt.sc/uh9mlf the nscript.dat has been updated but the text is the same, (I used "nscmake.exe result.txt" just like tahu, and also "nscdec.exe result.txt nscript.dat" to repack but nothing and I don't know if there is other command...) does someone have any idea why it's not working?

Edited by Tonora
update

1 minute ago, binaryfail said:

Ah, you installed the game into Program Files, so doing anything in there would've required admin access.

You should copy the game folder to somewhere you have regular write permissions, such as your desktop. From there, I expect the tool to work normally.

Ok, I will try to do that, if something comes up I send a message here again, thank you so much for helping!

7 minutes ago, binaryfail said:

Ah, you installed the game into Program Files, so doing anything in there would've required admin access.

You should copy the game folder to somewhere you have regular write permissions, such as your desktop. From there, I expect the tool to work normally.

It worked! First of all, I must ask for god to forgive me for being this Dumb! xD

And Thank you so much for helping me in this! The both of you, of course, Also, I don't think this will be a problem BUT It seems that the game don't accept "pointers" (I think that's how you call it.)

Example: This is the correct phrase: "Ma soeur aînée m'a tué" but then the game make it look like this: "Ma soeur ainee m'a tue" so it seems the game removes the " ´ , ~ and ^" do you know any way for me to like, change this? like change some arquive that it is in the folder or something like that?

Now I guess a few things will need to be changed, based on what I'm seeing.

You're translating to French, so Shift-JIS text encoding won't work. We want the script to be stored as unicode (like UTF-8), but the existing ONScripter build doesn't seem to read UTF-8. Use a different engine such as PONScripter-fork: https://github.com/sekaiproject/ponscripter-fork/releases

Get the file named narci2-windows.exe (find it under the "Assets" label) and put it into the game's folder. You will use this exe to play the game.

I made a few changes to the script to run with PONScripter. Get the file here and put 0.utf in the game folder

At this point, the text should look like this.

You can translate the text in 0.utf and play without needing to encrypt it again, so just forget about nsdec and nscript.dat from now on.

Next is the font, the file called default.ttf which can be replaced with something else. Here's what it looks like with Arial.

(PS: the "pointers" you mentioned are called accents. Shift-JIS can't encode them, so we needed unicode.)

Edited by binaryfail

20 minutes ago, binaryfail said:

Now I guess a few things will need to be changed, based on what I'm seeing.

You're translating to French, so Shift-JIS text encoding won't work. We want the script to be stored as unicode (like UTF-8), but the existing ONScripter build doesn't seem to read UTF-8. Use a different engine such as PONScripter-fork: https://github.com/sekaiproject/ponscripter-fork/releases

Get the file named narci2-windows.exe (find it under the "Assets" label) and put it into the game's folder. You will use this exe to play the game.

I made a few changes to the script to run with PONScripter. Get the file here and put 0.utf in the game folder

At this point, the text should look like this.

You can translate the text in 0.utf and play without needing to encrypt it again, so just forget about nsdec and nscript.dat from now on.

Next is the font, the file called default.ttf which can be replaced with something else. Here's what it looks like with Arial.

(PS: the "pointers" you mentioned are called accents. Shift-JIS can't encode them, so we needed unicode.)

To say the truth I'm just helping a friend of mine that is french to translate it to her native language, my main objective here is to translate it to Portuguese [Brazil] with the help of a friend of mine... pretty sure this doesn't change nothing but it would be good to tell you that...

Ok thank you soo much for the help, it made my life 100% more easy.

Welp, nothing a can do, I forgot how to call "accents" in english so I just put the "pointers" xD