Do you download all vn at once or one by one?

kaazeh

I basically download everything my HDD can handle, even if I don't plan to reading/playing the VN/game soon. [yeah, I do that for games as well]. I have literally more than 10 VNs and countless games installed, but the reality is that most of them will only be used next year [or never, in some cases... I'm a compulsive buyer, after all].

I bought Adabana the day it got released with ATRI. I have it downloaded, ready to play. However, while I was reading Higurashi [which I finished yesterday], I also bought Room No 9 [my current read] and Flowers 3, which I plan to read before Adabana. Only these three may keep me busy for at least two or three months.

Then, I have Steam Prison, Necrobarista,  Milky Way Prince, Hashishime of the old book town, Lonely Yuri, A light in the dark, Cupid and Angel Beats installed...

Since they usually don't take up much space, I tend to install my VNs the moment I buy them, even if I won't be reading them anytime soon. What this means in reality is that I currently have over a hundred titles installed on my computer just from Steam, and if you count the stuff not available there, it's even more.
I do make some exceptions, though. I don't install VNs that eat up an unusual amount of space unless I plan to read them soon, and if it's a series consisting of several separate chapters, I only install the first one.

When I buy a VN on Steam/DLSite/wherever I usually download it immediately. I also don't uninstall the ones I've finished, so my HDD is full of VNs. I also keep disc images for the few disc-based VNs that I own.

Having unread titles sitting on the HDD helps me remember that I should read them at some point ;)

Edited by adamstan

I install/download pretty much everything I buy (or plan to read, when it goes to freeware stuff)... Which led me to having 250+ VNs dowloaded on Steam, like a dozen installed from other sources and around 100 in a dedicated folder where I keep Itch.io/DRM free games and sort them by read/unread (and occasionally by the game jam they came from or a blog project I'm reading them for). One day, I might actually be able to completely clog my hard drive with just VNs and that's going to be something of an accomplishment. :P

Difficult to comprehend the question, but I download any translated visual novel that catches my interest. I may read it immediately or save it for future reading. This does mean that I have 200+GB of visual novels clogging up my C drive, but if I feel that's excessive I can delete a few VNs I don't plan on rereading.

21 hours ago, kaazeh said:

Hi, do you prefer to download all vn at once and choose after what to play or download a new vn only when you finish the vn you're playing?

Cheers

Apologies, I misunderstood at first, I guess the proper reply would be -- In my case I check out the visual novel I'm interested in and then download it and play eventually. Prior to that I search if there are any that suit my taste, in terms of visual art design, graphics (upscaling quality technology) and so on.

Edited by Vampire Alexander

1 hour ago, wyldstrykr said:

i have an eXternal HD from a broken laptop. also maybe ill buy a new HD if i get rich enough

Well, you can get a basic 1TB SSD for around $100. I just bought a 500GB Seagate One Touch for $55 (I think it would be even cheaper in US) – it's marketed as a storage drive but has decent random read/write speeds, so you can use it for many things... At least as long as you have a USB 3 port to plug it into.

I remember times when my computer had a 160MB hard drive and I couldn't install more than 2-3 games at a time. I still can't help to get astonished from time to time with how massive and relatively cheap storage has become...

18 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

You only need a cheap storage drive for vn's, movies etc. For normal gaming it's insufficient though. 

That's what people are saying all the time, but even a storage SSD from a reputable brand is likely to give you a massive performance boost over an HDD. You probably want a high quality one for your system partition and crucial applications/data, but you can very much go cost-efficient on your secondary drive and still get a way better experience than if you've bought a mechanical one.

8 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

That's what people are saying all the time, but even a storage SSD from a reputable brand is likely to give you a massive performance boost over an HDD. You probably want a high quality one for your system partition and crucial applications/data, but you can very much go cost-efficient on your secondary drive and still get a way better experience than if you've bought a mechanical one.

People are saying it all the time for a reason. A valid one at that. I have all those 3 types of harddrives (5400rpm, 7200rpm and ssd) and i know exactly what works best where. They have their uses. Vn's you can stick whereever as they demand nothing. Games 7200rpm works (longer loading times than SSD but most games nowadays have so few loading points that it doesnt matter much). I put my FInal fantasy XIV and mmo's on a SSD though.

I'd not bother with an SSD for gaming except for MMO's that all have lots of loading and just buy a fast normal harddrive like WD Ultrastar. Not mentioning VN now as that requires nothing out of anything.

For most daily uses you won't notice the difference between a SSD and a mechanical drive. You'll feel it during installation of something, loading times in games, unpacking large files with winrar etc and searching for files using windows.