For those who prefer to buy/own visual novels on Steam, what is your primary reason why?

NowItsAngeTime

For those who prefer to buy/own visual novels on Steam, what is your primary reason why?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. For those who prefer to buy/own visual novels on Steam, what is your primary reason why?

• Having all owned PC games on one storefront
    • Achievements or Marketplace items (Backgrounds, Trading Cards)
    • Regional Pricing
    • Easy to buy/download/install/know about sales
    • Easier to sell VNs to other friends, directly or indirectly
    • I don't care/prefer to buy VNs on Steam

Regional pricing is pretty much irrelevant in my country, but Steam sales are a big deal and the convenience of having my whole catalogue under one client is huge.

Also, I have my tiny Curator account to shill for EVNs I like, so if I can find something on Steam I'll rather play it there and review/catalogue it.

Plus I generally don't care for H-scenes, so the kind of censorship Steam forces on some VNs do not bother me, or is even preferable... Of course, that is when Valve does not randomly screw over developers and remove games for no legitimate reason, but that's a whole different conversation. 

If i buy a VN on steam the reason is usually that it's one of the few places I can buy them without a Credit Card (given there is a way to restore everything or nothing is missing in the first place).
I prefer other platforms though since steam doesn't allow me to download installers as far as I know.

I'm the opposite, for a very long time I did my very best to avoid reading any VNs or getting any games if it meant I had to make a Steam account. I don't like Steam bothering me for updates, nor do I like getting their pop-ups for various other miscellaneous things when you use their client even slightly unconventionally. That said, there is a huge convenience factor to it. Especially since there is a good crossover between gamers and VN readers. So I definitely understand why Steam became the default option for many once VNs started gaining in popularity in western markets.

That said, I really do hate how a handful of tech monopolies (or oligopolies if you want to get technical about it) have so much control over virtually everything we do. And I kind of hoped that at least VNs could manage to avoid falling into their orbit. If big Eroge had to exist (to facetiously quote @Zakamutt signature), I would rather that monopoly belong to an actual Visual Novel company that cares about visual novels to some extent. Steam really doesn't care about VNs, yet they are happy to take advantage of an unfair market place to absorb the western VN market. 

I really like Steam's features, like supporting pretty much every controller, but really I'm just determined to get a handheld PC (GPD Win, Alienware UFO) to play VNs and I imagine the easiest way to seamlessly jump between my desktop and handheld will be through Steam. That said, I really hate having to research every VN listed on there to make sure it's not censored like crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 8:25 PM, ciel_yuri said:

like supporting pretty much every controller

Yeah, I really like the controller support on Steam. I've never liked Xbox controllers because of how bulky they are, and the Logitech wireless controllers are awful at keeping a connection.

Granted, InputMapper and JoyToKey can be used to similar effect, but it's not quite as easy to operate.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:18 AM, Kenshin_sama said:

Yeah, I really like the controller support on Steam. I've never liked Xbox controllers because of how bulky they are, and the Logitech wireless controllers are awful at keeping a connection.

Granted, InputMapper and JoyToKey can be used to similar effect, but it's not quite as easy to operate.

Yeah, I also use things like Xpadder sometimes, but the Steam controller software really does just go above and beyond. I bought Eden and the adult patch on Steam the other day and the cloud seems to work really great too. I can be playing on my desktop and decide I wanna lay down, but keep reading and it makes it so easy to just load things right up on my laptop. I'm thinking that next I wanna try getting an add on controller for my phone and streaming VNs to it from my desktop. I'm hoping it will give me the same feeling as playing VNs on my Vita did.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:32 PM, Acrylic7 said:

Otherwise, I prefer to support the publisher directly. The difference in price is big. 

It really is. Steam takes a 30% cut from sales, which is pretty awful if you ask me.

Whenever I'm able to, I try to at least get keys from outside its platform so I can still use it for organizing my games and for the controller support.

14 hours ago, ciel_yuri said:

Yeah, I also use things like Xpadder sometimes, but the Steam controller software really does just go above and beyond. I bought Eden and the adult patch on Steam the other day and the cloud seems to work really great too. I can be playing on my desktop and decide I wanna lay down, but keep reading and it makes it so easy to just load things right up on my laptop. I'm thinking that next I wanna try getting an add on controller for my phone and streaming VNs to it from my desktop. I'm hoping it will give me the same feeling as playing VNs on my Vita did.

I remember Xpadder! I forget why I stopped using it, but I eventually switched to JoyToKey for some reason. Been having issues with it lately, though.

Man, I used to think I was the only one who cared about controller support in a VN.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

On 9/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, Kenshin_sama said:

I remember Xpadder! I forget why I stopped using it, but I eventually switched to JoyToKey for some reason. Been having issues with it lately, though.

Man, I used to think I was the only one who cared about controller support in a VN.

Yeah, it seemed like most people would always just say "there's auto mode, so there's no need for a controller", but I really like using them and being able to click along at my own pace.
Xpadder really does work great though. I'm not even sure when it was last updated or anything, but it just works, so hassle free that I'd still totally recommend it, if you're using a xinput controller or something with regular drivers. It just sucks, because I really like using the Switch pro controller and it can be a real pain without Steam's drivers. (I just find the shape extremely comfortable and it has such nice big buttons)