Basically, how much can VNDB scores be trusted?

[Hun]Lepto

4 hours ago, Silvz said:

to this day I don't get what the problem with NTR is, honestly

hey, the problem is players usually self-insert to protagonist (and they don't want their waifus dekcuf by other dudes), so that's why this genre is so hated by these people.

from my experience, a rating system like Steam is more reliable, bc it asks players a very easy question: "Do you like this game ?" (Yes/No), (If there are 99% of people who played this game like it, then there's a high chance that you will be in 99% group), rather than "How good is this game?" (0-worst -> 10-masterpiece), a question that usually leads to so many factors and people often decide based on their preferences.

Edited by droganpc

2 hours ago, Palas said:

Now if there was a VN in which the heroine actually has feelings that can change based on how you treat her, and if there was another person that threatened the relationship by virtue of simply being a better match based on the heroine's feelings, we might be onto something. But that never happens, so.

Not until japanese soyboys fear competition for a girl (or the companies being afraid that they might lose some readers with a function like that) while many relationships rely on getting a partner earlier than the others.

I definitely wouldn't strictly adhere to them, or use them to guide my own perception of the VN, but extreme positive or negative average ratings aren't always entirely unjustified, depending on the reasoning. My only real issue is any score from 1-6 tends to be monolithically perceived as "atrocious" to the voter rather than ranging from atrocious to slightly above average.

I like to have my VN votes organised so I can come back and suggest it back later on even after forgetting it. I also have the habit to read random people VN list on vndb to find my next read, so I’m don’t like random votes and hope mine can help someone out

Now if there was a VN in which the heroine actually has feelings that can change based on how you treat her

I never saw anything like that in any VN (don't know about dating sims, never played them), but it would be very interesting, from what I played, the closest I found was school days, the game has a bar on the screen that measures how close you are to one of the main heroines, and depending on how you treat them they may "hate" you or love you to the fullest.

Probably your average VN doesn't have a bad ending with the heroine, and if it does, generally it isn't based on how you treat them, I might be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not exactly agree with mod Clephas though in that both of Subahibi and Eustia are divisive, because objectively speaking both VNs did have most votes at the top and only few at the bottom. You may say that Eustia here is still not translated and thus most of overseas still not reading it, but unfortunately that kind of reasoning wouldn't hold the water for Subahibi because it's been released for three years. Also ~2,600 votes at the top and 96 votes at the bottom (I took the first top three and first bottom three) in Subahibi is not what I can call divisive and have same amounts of bars at the near top and near bottom, although if mod Clephas did say it's divisive because he didn't find it as good as most people do I guess it make sense to a degree.

Back to topic. As for the answer whether you can trust VNDB score or not, I guess you better leave the judgement on the VNs by yourself in that you better find the good score for the VNs that you read. That said, VNDB score can be trusted enough, providing that it have a number of votes. Usually I think 500 votes is the bare minimum for the VNs to be well known, although for lesser known VNs 200 votes might be quite enough. Some well known VN did have a lot of votes, such as Fate Stay Night with ~11,000 votes and G-Senjou with ~9,000 votes. It didn't mean that you need to follow majority of the voters though if you play those two, but rather you should vote based on what you think about those two VNs by yourself. So my conclusion here would be just don't follow the hype and decided on what score that you want to give to the VN that you read, although I must say that VNDB score can be helpful for the people to find which VNs that they want to read.

Edited by littleshogun

2 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

I'm not exactly agree with mod Clephas though in that both of Subahibi and Eustia are divisive, because objectively speaking both VNs did have most votes at the top and only few at the bottom. You may say that Eustia here is still not translated and thus most of overseas still not reading it, but unfortunately that kind of reasoning wouldn't hold the water for Subahibi because it's been released for three years. Also ~2,600 votes at the top and 96 votes at the bottom (I took the first top three and first bottom three) in Subahibi is not what I can call divisive and have same amounts of bars at the near top and near bottom, although if mod Clephas did say it's divisive because he didn't find it as good as most people do I guess it make sense to a degree.

Back to topic. As for the answer whether you can trust VNDB score or not, I guess you better leave the judgement on the VNs by yourself in that you better find the good score for the VNs that you read. That said, VNDB score can be trusted enough, providing that it have a number of votes. Usually I think 500 votes is the bare minimum for the VNs to be well known, although for lesser known VNs 200 votes might be quite enough. Some well known VN did have a lot of votes, such as Fate Stay Night with ~11,000 votes and G-Senjou with ~9,000 votes. It didn't mean that you need to follow majority of the voters though if you play those two, but rather you should vote based on what you think about those two VNs by yourself. So my conclusion here would be just don't follow the hype and decided on what score that you want to give to the VN that you read, although I must say that VNDB score can be helpful for the people to find which VNs that they want to read.

Didn't subahibi flop, tho?