Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tenshika

[solved] Need help with .ks files

Recommended Posts

Hi there, this is my first attempt translating a VN. I still know nothing about coding and extraction, and I tried my best to follow the instruction in the main posts but the extracted files aren't working.

The game I'm translating is a short VN by TARHS called the Table of N http://www.tarhs.com/N.html. It's made with Kirikiri, and what I assume are the script files are in .ks format. But when I try to open it on Notepad++ it comes up with text that don't make sense and I don't know how to fix it. I tried extracting the image and the sound files as well, but I couldn't open any of them either. Does it matter if it's a fairly old game from 2012 that uses Kirikiri2/KAG3?

I tried a couple tools (Garbro and CrassGUI http://ucla.jamesyxu.com/?p=50) which got me the same results (? to a total beginner, at least) and I can't seem to get KrkrExtract to work. Was I supposed to launch krkrextract.exe and drag the game.exe there or did I miss something?

Some images for reference: https://imgur.com/a/2fneFJ2

Also, just to anticipate the next step, what would be the best text editor in this case and for a beginner like me? Thank you so much!!! It's my first time wanting to translate a VN so bad and everything about VN dev is new to me, so any pointer is appreciated!!!

Edited by tenshika

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kikiriki extracts this game without issues. Are you using shift-jis encoding in notepad++ to read the files? Top menu → encoding → character sets → Japanese → Shift-JIS.  sworks/act0.ks seems to be a scenario file. Idk what you could be doing weird, the images are working too. The images not working is weirder than the script files not working since you seem to be using the wrong encoding.

note: kikiriki is a command line tool. Feel free to google how to use them. Specific commands for this game: kikiriki.exe -i data.xp3 -o data  to unpack, to create a patch.xp3 with a prepared folder called patch with all changed files in it: kikiriki.exe -c -i patch -o patch.xp3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 3:16 AM, Zakamutt said:

kikiriki extracts this game without issues.

Hi, thanks a lot for this. I still can't explain why the previous tools didn't work, but this one worked wonderfully and I was able to create a patch without issues so far.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:14 AM, Darbury said:

Atom is another good choice as a text editor for Kirikiri projects. Cross-platform, plus there's syntax highlighting available for .ks and .tjs files. Super handy when you're staring at a wall of code.

Thanks for the suggestion! The game I'm working on looks okay on Notepad++ so far, but I'm keeping it in case I'm stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...