Romance Visual Novel Recommendations

Islacchi

Hi, new here as a poster and wanted to get some recommendations for romance visual novels. 
Mostly looking for your typical romance VN stereotypes: Common route (make your choices here) -> go into heroine routes
Some Romance VNs I have read to get an idea of what I am looking for:

Fureraba
Princess Evangile
Noble Works
Aokana
Senren Banka
Sankaku Renai
Magical Marriage Lunatics
Dracu Riot
Koisuru Natsu Last Resort
Wagamama High Spec
Grisaia
If you love me then say so
Karakara
Neko nin
Sabbat of the Witch
Saku Saku

I think my list is quite long so thats why I am having trouble finding other VNs, so feel free to recommend me stuff if you think I would like it.
I prioritise art quality quite highly (hence why I havent read the more old school romance VNs like Clannad), but if you feel it is worth recommending do let me know!
Thank you for reading! :D

Edited by Islacchi

I imagine you aren't interested in Otome like Steam Prison, Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome, or The Second Reproduction?

Some of your VNs like Princess Evangile have fandiscs, if you haven't looked into it.

I'm not seeing Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road on your list, so that might be good. Same for Majikoi, but Jast is going to release that officially eventually.

Muv-Luv Extra seems like it'd fit, but a lot of people (not me) don't seem to like it.

I'd recommend Shining Song Starnova, if you can survive the weeb text (you get used to it).

Chrono Clock is also good. The Da Capo series if it seems interesting to you.

Making Lovers isn't on your list for some reason?

Rewrite whilst fitting the structure might not be exactly what you're looking for. Little Busters! would be a much better fit.

I'm not seeing on your list anything by Tone Work's on your list, but their older games are translated.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I imagine you aren't interested in Otome like Steam Prison, Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome, or The Second Reproduction?

Some of your VNs like Princess Evangile have fandiscs, if you haven't looked into it.

I'm not seeing Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road on your list, so that might be good. Same for Majikoi, but Jast is going to release that officially eventually.

Muv-Luv Extra seems like it'd fit, but a lot of people (not me) don't seem to like it.

I'd recommend Shining Song Starnova, if you can survive the weeb text (you get used to it).

Chrono Clock is also good. The Da Capo series if it seems interesting to you.

Making Lovers isn't on your list for some reason?

Rewrite whilst fitting the structure might not be exactly what you're looking for. Little Busters! would be a much better fit.

I'm not seeing on your list anything by Tone Work's on your list, but their older games are translated.

Hi! Thanks for reading through my post and selections that I have read before!

Otome games wise, yeah you are right in the sense that I am not really interested. I understand the whole premise of the genre is the same, but I still rather be chasing after girls than guys haha.

Yup I have the fandics for PE, and actually bought PE w Happiness on steam. Although I havent really researched fully into all the VNs' fandiscs... prob will do that then!

Will have a look at Tsujidou-san and Majikoi for sure. I've heard of Majikoi before, but tbh the anime kinda turned me off a lil, but I have heard comments that the VN in itself is pretty good.

For Muv-Luv extra, Shining Song Starnova, Chrono Clock and Da Capo, I went to browse them but unfortunately the art style doesnt suit me. I understand stories are important but for me personally I need good art (to me) to keep myself interested in reading.

Making Lovers is something I am interested in, however I have heard it is something slightly different from your regular VN? Like it involves more of planning your dates rather than reading through the story and making straight up choices.

Rewrite and Little busters are 2 animes I love quite alot, Rewrite for their art, and Little Busters for their art and story. For Rewrite I will consider looking into it, but for Little Busters the art and extra gameplay mechanics dont really interest me as of now.

For Tone Work's, their art actually captures my attention alot. May I know how to acquire the translated VN's if you have done so before? Steam doesnt really seem to offer them.

Thanks again for the post! :)

1 hour ago, Fiddle said:

If you look at the comedy section in bunnyAdvocate's VN similarity graph, you should find a few more VNs that are popular among people with your taste.

Oh did not know of this tool, looks great! Probably will also sign up on vndb to log my read VNs and them see from there.

Thanks so much for letting me know this! :)

2 minutes ago, Islacchi said:

Making Lovers is something I am interested in, however I have heard it is something slightly different from your regular VN? Like it involves more of planning your dates rather than reading through the story and making straight up choices.

Not to worry. It's more of a gimmick than anything else. It doesn't affect anything other than the dialogue you get, mostly. It's like making choices.

What might be a bit stranger is the fact that the common route is very short, and you enter heroine routes very quickly.

For Tsujidou-san and Tone Work's games, you would need to purchase the Japanese games and apply translation patches, so that might be a bit complicated.

For Rewrite, I would actually recommend waiting for the official release of Rewrite+, which is a better version of Rewrite that comes with the fandisc.

8 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Not to worry. It's more of a gimmick than anything else. It doesn't affect anything other than the dialogue you get, mostly. It's like making choices.

What might be a bit stranger is the fact that the common route is very short, and you enter heroine routes very quickly.

For Tsujidou-san and Tone Work's games, you would need to purchase the Japanese games and apply translation patches, so that might be a bit complicated.

For Rewrite, I would actually recommend waiting for the official release of Rewrite+, which is a better version of Rewrite that comes with the fandisc.

Ahh I see, that might suit me better actually to have a shorter common route. Will definitely try it out, furthermore its from NekoNyan and Yuzusoft which makes most of the VNs I personally like the most.

I see, yeah that might be abit complicated, and I do not really trust purchasing the game and downloading the patch separately, since in the event the patches dont work I will be stuck haha. Guess I will wait if they ever get an English release.

Noted on Rewrite, sound good! :)

Just now, Silvz said:

If you like Aokana, read Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, from the same company.

Besides Rewrite and Little Busters!, read every Key VN possible :D

Hi! Thanks for reading my post :)

For Koichoco, I actually already read it, but I did not include it in the list, partly due to keep it slightly shorter, and also since I personally felt the other VNs I listed are ones I enjoyed more, but yeah Koichoco was really nice to read as well!

Hmm tbh for Key VN's, I do not read much of their works due to the art (eg Little Busters VN, Clannad VN etc). I have watched the animes though, and only enjoyed Little Busters very much (Clannad was nice too but not what I anticipated compared to the hype about it for me). Would you say that the stories are really worth to purchase and read the VNs despite the art? For me the art feels abit old school which doesnt sit well with me.

4 minutes ago, Islacchi said:

Hi! Thanks for reading my post :)

For Koichoco, I actually already read it, but I did not include it in the list, partly due to keep it slightly shorter, and also since I personally felt the other VNs I listed are ones I enjoyed more, but yeah Koichoco was really nice to read as well!

Hmm tbh for Key VN's, I do not read much of their works due to the art (eg Little Busters VN, Clannad VN etc). I have watched the animes though, and only enjoyed Little Busters very much (Clannad was nice too but not what I anticipated compared to the hype about it for me). Would you say that the stories are really worth to purchase and read the VNs despite the art? For me the art feels abit old school which doesnt sit well with me.

Yes, they are definetely worth it

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and if I may suggest something perhaps you can try both of Daitoshokan and Hitotsuba. Other recommendations here would be Konosora (Get the 18+ patch as well), Dal Segno, Koiken Otome, and Umikana. I don't know if you already read some of those, but I hope that it could be helpful to you.

PS - Forgot to recommend ATRI here.

Edited by littleshogun

11 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and if I may suggest something perhaps you can try both of Daitoshokan and Hitotsuba. Other recommendations here would be Konosora (Get the 18+ patch as well), a Segno, Koiken Otome, and Umikana. I don't know if you already read some of those, but I hope that it could be helpful to you.

PS - Forgot to recommend ATRI here.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome :)

For Konosora, I have read it as well, didnt mention it as tbh I browsed it on a mobile phone a long time ago (lite version I think?) and then went on to read the full version after. It was a nice read tho, definitely underrated imo on steam for its price.
For Hitosuba, its actually on my wishlist on steam atm. Havent bought it yet as you can judge me if you want, but I am a reader that wants to have 18+ patches along with the VN, but dont really like to buy them offsite (currently Im buying my VNs through steam only).
Daitoshokan, Dal Segno, Koiken Otome and Umikana are recommendations which art interests me as well. May I know how you acquired them? Usually if I can I buy through Steam, so I was wondering if there are alternative trustable sites to purchase/ dl them

Oh definitely considering ATRI too, its user reviews on steam are quit off the charts :D

Edited by Islacchi

Both Dal Segno and Umikana are available on Steam, and you didn't need to worry for the latter because it's all age in the first place. For both of Koiken Otome and Daitoshokan, unfortunately it's fantranslated and so it's not available on Steam. You can use Amazon JP or Mandrake to obtain it if you curious, so you need a bit more money to get those two.

Edited by littleshogun

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Both Dal Segno and Umikana are available on Steam, and you didn't need to worry for the latter because it's all age in the first place. For both of Koiken Otome and Daitoshokan, unfortunately it's fantranslated and so it's not available on Steam. You can use Amazon JP or Mandrake to obtain it if you curious, so you need a bit more money to get those two.

Thanks, just searched them up on steam, will have a look!

For the rest, hmm might be abit hard to acquire them then, will see what I can do. Thanks though!

Edited by Islacchi

• 7 months later...

I recommend The Arcana game. It is its own app and world entirely with six different character routes you can explore after the prologue of the story. There is female character routes a well. It's a tarot based game that starts off with a mysterious person appears who wishes to speak to your mentor but you offer them a tarot card reading instead. Nadia, the countess of Vesuvia, is intrigued by your reading. She offers you an invitation to her Palace, but for a price - you must first uncover the mystery of her murdered husband. Another recommendation I have in general for visual novel stories is the Fictif app. They're both free in the app store. On the Fictif app, there's different stories from suspense, mystery, to fantasy with the element of romance and you can choose which route to go into. The routes aren't the same to each other, but within the same world. They also announced new stories to come in the summer! 

These are the stories I've read on Fictif:

- Last Legacy: You're an ordinary cosplayer who becomes trapped inside your favorite fantasy game. You have to team up with a band of unlikely heroes including a mischievous mage, a spirited knight, and a mysterious mercenary to fight the forces of evil and find a way home.

- Roadkill: Four friends embark on the cross-country road trip to live their dreams and end up living their nightmares, when a strange event brings every horror movie villain to life. You also have to figure out if you can all survive a zombie apocalypse!

-Heir To Love & Lies: You find out your grandmother passed away and now you inherited plantation worth $16.8 Million dollars. A cast of townspeople who make you feel more at home than ever. Only...One of them killed your grandmother and you must solve the mystery and find out who the killer is.

- Two Against The World: As soon as you step inside the theatre, you find yourself literally transported into a 1920’s Gatsby Era with a gorgeous gangster that offers you adventure and the love you always wanted. Can the glitz and glamour, and the arms of a loving man win you over? When you play the prologue, you get a glimpse into the three routes set in different time periods!