[Solved] Kirikiri Patch-Making Problems

I used KrkrExtract to extract the files in my game's data.xp3. I found the scenario folder and the .ks files. I used Notepad++ to edit the files, and translated the Japanese text into English. I saved the translated files to a new folder called patch. I dragged the folder to KrkrExtract, and packaged it. It became patch.xp3. I put it in the game files. I tried to start the game, but it gave me a script error. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to do something to the startup.tjs file?

Edited by yurionrice

After parsing through so many confusing threads and websites, I finally figured it out. I couldn't find a thorough guide that actually helped my situation, so I'm going to record all of my steps here in case other frustrated newbies in search of answers happen to stumble upon this thread. Hopefully they won't have to dig through multiple threads with vague answers and/or random websites in Mandarin.

*Note: This guide assumes that the game you are working with is not encrypted, the scenario files are .ks and not .scn, the language you are translating the game into has characters that are supported by Shift-JIS, your locale is set to Japanese, etc.

Translating Kirikiri Games: A Step-by-step Guide

Tools needed: A game, KrkrExtract, Notepad++

1. Install KrkrExtract.exe and KrkrExtract.dll to the game directory. Other files in the folder should include data.xp3 and the game's executable file (game_name.exe), as well as savedata and plugin folders.
  2. Drag the game's executable file to KrkrExtract.exe to launch it. It should launch both the game and KrkrExtract.
  3. Drag the data.xp3 file to KrkrExtract window. You do not need to mess with any of the settings or press any of the buttons. It should automatically create a new folder in the game directory called KrkrExtract_Output. Within this folder should be a folder called data.
  4. Remove the data.xp3 file from the game directory. You can move it to another folder elsewhere on your PC, or just delete it.
  5. Remove the data folder from the KrkrExtract_Output folder and place it directly into the game directory. The KrkrExtract_Output folder should be empty now, so you can delete it.
  6. Open the data folder. Somewhere within the folder, likely in another folder named scenario, there should be several files with the .ks extension. Depending on the game, you may only have a few files, or you may have more than thirty. You may have to sift through the files, but eventually you should find the script for the game (or the beginning of the game, if the script is divided into multiple .ks files.) Open this file in Notepad++.
  7. In Notepad++, on the top ribbon, there is a tab labelled Encoding. Make sure that it is set to Character sets > Japanese > Shift-JIS. You should be able to view the text of the game in Japanese. Nothing should look garbled.
  8. Replace the Japanese text with the translation in your target language. Once you're finished, simply save the file. You should be able to launch the game and see your translated text.

Do not try to repackage the data folder. If you attempt to repackage the data folder, it will give you a script error. Just leave it alone. According to the KrkrExtract readme file, you should (keyword: should) be able repackage the script files and save it as patch.xp3 for easier distribution, but that absolutely did not work in my case. It repeatedly gave me a script error. It was easier to just directly modify the data files.

If this can save even one soul from the pain and frustration I felt, then making this guide was not a waste of time. Good luck to anyone that's crazy brave enough to try doing this without any prior experience or basic understanding of how computers work (like I did lol)

• 4 months later...

Your post helped me a lot, but i'm lost at something, i don't know if you can help me... 

I can translate some .xp3 files, but i cant open the files inside data (001.snr 002.snr 003.snr) etcetera,  I've read that they are encrypted, that i should desencramble them or something. 

I tried a lot, i've found a tool in github for unscrambling those files, but i cant make it work, i tried dropping the files in that exe, opening with the cmd window, but i'm a noob and can't make it work. 

Can you tell me how to translate those files?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 4:59 AM, yurionrice said:

After parsing through so many confusing threads and websites, I finally figured it out. I couldn't find a thorough guide that actually helped my situation, so I'm going to record all of my steps here in case other frustrated newbies in search of answers happen to stumble upon this thread. Hopefully they won't have to dig through multiple threads with vague answers and/or random websites in Mandarin.

*Note: This guide assumes that the game you are working with is not encrypted, the scenario files are .ks and not .scn, the language you are translating the game into has characters that are supported by Shift-JIS, your locale is set to Japanese, etc.

Translating Kirikiri Games: A Step-by-step Guide

Tools needed: A game, KrkrExtract, Notepad++

1. Install KrkrExtract.exe and KrkrExtract.dll to the game directory. Other files in the folder should include data.xp3 and the game's executable file (game_name.exe), as well as savedata and plugin folders.
  2. Drag the game's executable file to KrkrExtract.exe to launch it. It should launch both the game and KrkrExtract.
  3. Drag the data.xp3 file to KrkrExtract window. You do not need to mess with any of the settings or press any of the buttons. It should automatically create a new folder in the game directory called KrkrExtract_Output. Within this folder should be a folder called data.
  4. Remove the data.xp3 file from the game directory. You can move it to another folder elsewhere on your PC, or just delete it.
  5. Remove the data folder from the KrkrExtract_Output folder and place it directly into the game directory. The KrkrExtract_Output folder should be empty now, so you can delete it.
  6. Open the data folder. Somewhere within the folder, likely in another folder named scenario, there should be several files with the .ks extension. Depending on the game, you may only have a few files, or you may have more than thirty. You may have to sift through the files, but eventually you should find the script for the game (or the beginning of the game, if the script is divided into multiple .ks files.) Open this file in Notepad++.
  7. In Notepad++, on the top ribbon, there is a tab labelled Encoding. Make sure that it is set to Character sets > Japanese > Shift-JIS. You should be able to view the text of the game in Japanese. Nothing should look garbled.
  8. Replace the Japanese text with the translation in your target language. Once you're finished, simply save the file. You should be able to launch the game and see your translated text.

Do not try to repackage the data folder. If you attempt to repackage the data folder, it will give you a script error. Just leave it alone. According to the KrkrExtract readme file, you should (keyword: should) be able repackage the script files and save it as patch.xp3 for easier distribution, but that absolutely did not work in my case. It repeatedly gave me a script error. It was easier to just directly modify the data files.

If this can save even one soul from the pain and frustration I felt, then making this guide was not a waste of time. Good luck to anyone that's crazy brave enough to try doing this without any prior experience or basic understanding of how computers work (like I did lol)

this didn't worked for me If i leave the folder in game folder it won't open 

On 6/5/2021 at 12:08 PM, Low-Strawberry-1930 said:

Plss guide me

so When you using Garbro drag xp3 file to it when you get popup go with no encryption then you will get bunch of .ks files open one of the ,ks files with notepad++ when you open it if you get bunch of weired text try to go to encoding then UCS-2LE BOM click it even after then you get weired text that means your .ks files are encrypted.. any way if your .ks files aren't encrypted you can open it without getting weired text. edit 2 or 4 lines remember to only edit the game text don't try to edit the codes after you translate 2 lines if you extract.ks files into a folder drag and drop that folder or .ks files to garbro again  don't click any of the .ks files if you even click one file it will show the code in the right side of the garbro which means you can't make the patch you will get error also don't patch the folder you will have to go inside the folder and when you see all the .ks files CTRL+A on your keyboard which will select all the files and then click create archive use no encrypt option and tick three option at the bottom and rename the file to patch.xp3. after you create the file drag and drop it to your game folder you will able to play it normally . ( pro tip if you accidently click single .ks file and code start to show right side of the garbro click the  .. at the top that will unclick all the file and CTRL+A on your keyboard it will select all the files without showing any code in the right side )  

when your .ks file have encrypted which i don't think that will happen but by chance if it is you can click that encryption drop down and try to search your game if you can't find it there then you won't be able to translate

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, Kcjpunk said:

so When you using Garbro drag xp3 file to it when you get popup go with no encryption then you will get bunch of .ks files open one of the ,ks files with notepad++ when you open it if you get bunch of weired text try to go to encoding then UCS-2LE BOM click it even after then you get weired text that means your .ks files are encrypted.. any way if your .ks files aren't encrypted you can open it without getting weired text. edit 2 or 4 lines remember to only edit the game text don't try to edit the codes after you translate 2 lines if you extract.ks files into a folder drag and drop that folder or .ks files to garbro again  don't click any of the .ks files if you even click one file it will show the code in the right side of the garbro which means you can't make the patch you will get error also don't patch the folder you will have to go inside the folder and when you see all the .ks files CTRL+A on your keyboard which will select all the files and then click create archive use no encrypt option and tick three option at the bottom and rename the file to patch.xp3. after you create the file drag and drop it to your game folder you will able to play it normally . ( pro tip if you accidently click single .ks file and code start to show right side of the garbro click the  .. at the top that will unclick all the file and CTRL+A on your keyboard it will select all the files without showing any code in the right side )  

when your .ks file have encrypted which i don't think that will happen but by chance if it is you can click that encryption drop down and try to search your game if you can't find it there then you won't be able to translate

Umm can you go by that again. I'm wanting to translate, "なぜか?!すぃ~と・ほ~む" by Tryset. It seems the only xp3 file in here is data.xp3.  I can get inside the data.xp3 via Garbro using "no encryption". Upon entering the data.xp3 files we have what appears to be directory folders.

• bgimage
  • bgm
  • fgimage
  • others
  • rule
  • scenario
  • sound
  • system
  • startup.tjs

By the way you can view .ks files in garbro (depending on the version of the kirikiri engine). i clicked on s001.ks in Garbro and a new window to the right of the directory window of GarBro, showed a code line. You get the option for Encoding. Default for the first time is Unicode (UTF-8). Switching the encoding to Japanese (Shift-JIS) will make the code readable. I'm not sure if by switching the encoding in GarBro that it's decrypting the file.  I'm not positive if this kirikiri engine is KiriKiri or KiriKiri2 or if it's just Tryset games in general in the the way they are encrypted and programed.

So from here I want to translate the game but i am not sure if i should extract data.xp3 as whole or just extract the scenario directory within data.xp3  container file. The scenario directory contains all the .ks files and I have no clue how to go about making a patch file. I don't want to over-ride the data.xp3 file because that would be a pain in case I want to go back and re-translate.  So can you be a bit clearer on the instructions for extracting, translating and repacking as a patch file using Garbro? Your explanation was one long run-on sentence and really hard to read and understand.

Edited by Haiyami