RPG games recommend

Novel21

3 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

if you havent played already, persona 4 golden just came out on steam. cant recommend the game enough

Unless you're one of the unlucky few with a lot of random crashes...

I always recommend the Trails/Kiseki games (Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel). There would also be the Neptunia Games, the Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth games, FFX.

If they don't have to be turn based there are games like the tales of series, the Ys series or Ni no Kuni.

There are also great western RPGs but I don't know if you're looking for those as well.

Tales of Berseria

Chrono Trigger

The Neptunia games (though quality varies)

Grandia

Grandia II

SaGA Scarlet Grace (from the series Octopath snitched its concept from)

Tales of Vesperia

Chrono Trigger (probably the best SNES rpg by far)

The Legend of Heroes series

I am Setsuna (if you want to cry)

15 hours ago, Clephas said:

Tales of Berseria

Chrono Trigger

The Neptunia games (though quality varies)

Grandia

Grandia II

SaGA Scarlet Grace (from the series Octopath snitched its concept from)

Tales of Vesperia

Chrono Trigger (probably the best SNES rpg by far)

The Legend of Heroes series

I am Setsuna (if you want to cry)

I'd also like to add Chrono Trigger.

• 2 months later...

I downloaded " Chrono Trigger" on my Android smartphone recently and tried to play the game. But in certain areas, the game needs to download more data. I met several incidents where the game needs to download more and payments need. Is there a way to force the game to download all the data somehow? I tried using Game Guardian (With the help VirtualXposed since I don't have root-access). But, no hack for "Chrono Trigger" available in it. Any help would be appreciated in this regard

18 hours ago, SabrinaF said:

I downloaded " Chrono Trigger" on my Android smartphone recently and tried to play the game. But in certain areas, the game needs to download more data. I met several incidents where the game needs to download more and payments need. Is there a way to force the game to download all the data somehow? I tried using Game Guardian (With the help VirtualXposed since I don't have root-access). But, no hack for "Chrono Trigger" available in it. Any help would be appreciated in this regard

Honestly? I'd suggest just getting the PC version from Steam.  Don't mean to be a jackass, but the smartphone isn't exactly the best medium for playing the game (in fact, the smartphone version is rated the worst of all the versions including the SNES one).  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:17 PM, AngstyNarrator said:

Dragon Quest! God, that series is underrated outside of Japan despite being well known.

Dragon Quest is the 'standard' (though not the gold standard) for uber-traditional jrpgs.  This is because it has retained many of the conventions of the genre's early days and doesn't alter its approach to storytelling or gameplay to any significant degree with each generation, other than quality of life and visual updates.  The most recent one is a rather obvious demonstration of this methodology, though it was surprisingly decent despite not doing anything interesting with the characters or setting.

In a lot of ways, Dragon Quest is like Final Fantasy's opposite.  Where FF was a series that pushed the limits of traditional jrpgs, DQ has stayed mostly true to its roots.  Whether that is a good thing or not is entirely dependent on what you want in a game.

20 hours ago, Clephas said:

Dragon Quest is the 'standard' (though not the gold standard) for uber-traditional jrpgs.  This is because it has retained many of the conventions of the genre's early days and doesn't alter its approach to storytelling or gameplay to any significant degree with each generation, other than quality of life and visual updates.

While I do think this is true, I find that a lot of people tend to exaggerate this to an extent. While the games never lose their core appeal, I don't really feel that the games really all are the same as people make them out to be in the same way people often accuse the Pokemon series of being too same-y.

I often see Dragon Quest VI often accused of being too same-y by people who also established Dragon Quest fans.

A good example of a Dragon Quest game that has tons of differences with the rest of the series is Dragon Quest IX. It's very different for many gameplay and story reasons yet is still identifably apart of the series.

7 hours ago, AngstyNarrator said:

While I do think this is true, I find that a lot of people tend to exaggerate this to an extent. While the games never lose their core appeal, I don't really feel that the games really all are the same as people make them out to be in the same way people often accuse the Pokemon series of being too same-y.

I often see Dragon Quest VI often accused of being too same-y by people who also established Dragon Quest fans.

A good example of a Dragon Quest game that has tons of differences with the rest of the series is Dragon Quest IX. It's very different for many gameplay and story reasons yet is still identifably apart of the series.

I never said it was bad... if anything, it provides a nice counterpoint to the more overly-modern series.  Too many companies try random battle systems, random storytelling styles, and random characterization and end up with crapfests.  Dragon Quest's very traditionalism is often seen as refreshing by old-style fanboys.  However, I'll say again that DQ isn't a series one goes to for innovation on any level.  Even the newer battle system elements introduced in the later parts of the series were essentially imported from other traditional jrpgs that tried them successfully first.  In many ways, DQ is the epitome of Japanese conservativism (non-political).  

I also wasn't boosting FF.  FF has been going downhill sharply since X, at least from a fanboy's point of view.  I was merely stating the differing roles the two series play within the greater genre of jrpgs.

44 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I never said it was bad... if anything, it provides a nice counterpoint to the more overly-modern series.  Too many companies try random battle systems, random storytelling styles, and random characterization and end up with crapfests.  Dragon Quest's very traditionalism is often seen as refreshing by old-style fanboys.  However, I'll say again that DQ isn't a series one goes to for innovation on any level.  Even the newer battle system elements introduced in the later parts of the series were essentially imported from other traditional jrpgs that tried them successfully first.  In many ways, DQ is the epitome of Japanese conservativism (non-political).  

I also wasn't boosting FF.  FF has been going downhill sharply since X, at least from a fanboy's point of view.  I was merely stating the differing roles the two series play within the greater genre of jrpgs.

I never tried to accuse you of saying it was bad, all I said is that other people exarggerate how same-y the games supposedly are (in comparison to eachother, not other JRPG's in general).

Edited by AngstyNarrator