joshopit

Reddit is the saddest place on the internet.

I noticed that every guy who have a different opinion about something (especially in the VN subreddit) gets instantly downvoted.Especially in the VN subreddit where if u ask about something or you have a different opinion,there's always the sad weeb without life that is ready to down vote.Look,we get it,you're a superior human being (in fact you're in your 30 and still a virgin) and all but it would be awesome if you'll answer to something instead of being a Jerk. If I downvoted something, I always said my opinion but it seems that it's pretty rare (and that's why I prefer this place, since u guys are awesome ahaha).

What's your opinion about reddit in general?

Edited by joshopit

My issue is that my IQ isn't high enough to keep up with them. What you must understand is that Reddit is not just a forum; it is the de facto successor to the Roman Forum, where only the greatest minds in all the land can handle the high-level ideas being discussed. Perhaps one day you and I will be graced with holy fedoras and be permitted to enter the intellectual arena that is Reddit, but we can only hope.

15 minutes ago, Fiddle said:

My issue is that my IQ isn't high enough to keep up with them. What you must understand is that Reddit is not just a forum; it is the de facto successor to the Roman Forum, where only the greatest minds in all the land can handle the high-level ideas being discussed. Perhaps one day you and I will be graced with holy fedoras and be permitted to enter the intellectual arena that is Reddit, but we can only hope.

You can't keep up with something that don't talk. Rather than argue for their dissent,they just downvote and that kills reddit:the fact that you downvote without saying your opinion is what makes reddit so bad.

I agree, many of my posts that I think were harsh, but still true instantly get downvoted instead of being discussed. There's also those that reply with one-sided hate comments that don't really try to stay neutral (by that, I mean that they use their personal feelings as to why something is not likeable about my statement, be constructive for fucks' sake and point out something else than your petty little feelings, I don't even use harsh words or vulgar language when making my statements). For sure whenever I say something, it immedietly gets downvoted or gets upvoted for being unique. You just can't win with people. Yet still, you can't say that Reddit is not better than Instagram and stuff.

Yup, Reddit is very volatile and promotes groupthink, pushing unpopular opinions and niche content to the margins. Something that goes against the currents either gets dogpiled on or becomes invisible due to algorithm not showing it to anyone after the first few downvotes. It's healthy to treat it as a news/content sharing hub rather than a discussion forum. 

VN subreddit is hardly the worst place in this regard though. Also, if you frame your question/opinion right, you can probably get a discussion rather than just get downvoted to hell. 

3 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Also, if you frame your question/opinion right, you can probably get a discussion rather than just get downvoted to hell. 

Well, in a way, that also helps me think over my mistakes (if there was) over my questions or opinions, so there's something to learn from that aswell.

4 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Yup, Reddit is very volatile and promotes groupthink, pushing unpopular opinions and niche content to the margins. Something that goes against the currents either gets dogpiled on or becomes invisible due to algorithm not showing it to anyone after the first few downvotes. It's healthy to treat it as a news/content sharing hub rather than a discussion forum. 

VN subreddit is hardly the worst place in this regard though. Also, if you frame your question/opinion right, you can probably get a discussion rather than just get downvoted to hell. 

the perfect example of what you said is this: 

I mean,the guy just asked for help and the guys just downvoted.

another example is this: 

This is an interesting topic but in this subreddit only guys who post images get a lot of likes (hell,I have 900 and 600 likes on the images of my sprites). It's frustrating because interesting questions like this gets overshadowed by mediocre things.

I think the reddit way of ordering posts works quite well for less serious/more memey type of content. And r/AskHistorians is also pretty cool. Other than that... yeah, pretty much this. I personally have always preferred more traditional forums, for more or less the same reasons.

6 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I think the reddit way of ordering posts works quite well for less serious/more memey type of content. And r/AskHistorians is also pretty cool. Other than that... yeah, pretty much this. I personally have always preferred more traditional forums, for more or less the same reasons.

Do you want another example? 

I think that the post could've gained more attention to this subreddit since it's something that is so personal...nothing...one guy even downvoted me and the only thing I wanted was a debate between me and others visual novel lovers but nothing.

They steal memes and images and get a lot of upvotes,if u want to create a debate,it's useless since they don't answer and downvote u D:

It's a sad place if u want to discuss.

Reddit is a mixed bag.  Say something creative that deviates from the consensus and you can either be upvoted for being interesting or downvoted for having an unpopular opinion.  The problem is that people don't use the downvote as they should: to suppress unproductive comments, not dissenting opinions.  Like any other community it has its politics / power struggles, and those who don't share similar values will be shunned.

Edited by sanahtlig

1 minute ago, sanahtlig said:

Reddit is a mixed bag.  Say something creative that deviates from the consensus and you can either be upvoted for being interesting or downvoted for having an unpopular opinion.  The problem is that people don't use the downvote as they should: to suppress unproductive comments, not dissenting opinions.  Like any other community it has its politics / power struggles, and those who don't share similar values will be shunned.

Sad but true. Rather than create a debate and discuss like civil human beings,they prefer throwaway contents. The less you talk and the less u think,the better is.

3 hours ago, joshopit said:

I mean,the guy just asked for help and the guys just downvoted.

To be fair, there's a question thread exactly for things like this. Pinned at the top of the subreddit. This got downvoted because it disregarded the way the subreddit is organised/its rules, and not because people are randomly assholes.

The lastest thread you linked to didn't really get downvoted... It just didn't pick up and likely got buried by the algorithm. You can find a lot of discussion threads that did pick up and got a lot of in-depth answers. And with how old and active the subreddit itself is, it's very likely for there to be multiple, long threads on the same, or very similar topics. The fact some of them don't work out doesn't make the whole platform hopeless (even though it has serious flaws).

10 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

To be fair, there's a question thread exactly for things like this. Pinned at the top of the subreddit. This got downvoted because it disregarded the way the subreddit is organised/its rules, and not because people are randomly assholes.

The lastest thread you linked to didn't really get downvoted... It just didn't pick up and likely got buried by the algorithm. You can find a lot of discussion threads that did pick up and got a lot of in-depth answers. And with how old and active the subreddit itself is, it's very likely for there to be multiple, long threads on the same, or very similar topics. The fact some of them don't work out doesn't make the whole platform hopeless (even though it has serious flaws).

What I wanted to say is that it's rare to find a thread where people talk,they usually go for news or images or memes (even tought I admit that this was just bad luck).

10 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Maybe the guy didn't notice,it happens.

Anyway my final question was about reddit in general and not r/visualnovels (which is not that bad compared to others subreddits). I noticed that if they see a guy asking for some tips or a indie project that shares the kickstarter,they instantly get downvoted. Look at r/unpopularopinion:people don't want to hear unpopular opinions on r/unpopularopinion ahah

Edited by joshopit

10 hours ago, joshopit said:

I noticed that every guy who have a different opinion about something (especially in the VN subreddit) gets instantly downvoted.Especially in the VN subreddit where if u ask about something or you have a different opinion,there's always the sad weeb without life that is ready to down vote.

You just described all of Reddit right there, and the exact reason I hate it. Unironically, I've had much better discussions about VNs on various boards of 4chan than I ever have on Reddit. 

At one point, there was a discussion centered around how annoying I am on the VN Reddit (about four years ago, I think...) and some jerkwad sent me the link in a pm.  I would have laughed or cried if I gave a crap what a bunch of people caught by groupthink thought, but I didn't.

edit: To clarify, I believe that large social media sites are an abomination that should be purged from the net so forums can once again take it over.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:29 PM, joshopit said:

I noticed that every guy who have a different opinion about something (especially in the VN subreddit) gets instantly downvoted.Especially in the VN subreddit where if u ask about something or you have a different opinion,there's always the sad weeb without life that is ready to down vote.Look,we get it,you're a superior human being (in fact you're in your 30 and still a virgin) and all but it would be awesome if you'll answer to something instead of being a Jerk. If I downvoted something, I always said my opinion but it seems that it's pretty rare (and that's why I prefer this place, since u guys are awesome ahaha).

Reddit is a nasty echo chamber tbh. Especially subs like r/visualnovels and their devtalk and devtalk+

A nasty emo bastard with god complex about himself (especially the JOP readers) are quite hell bent on bashing anyone who doesn't agree with their opinions. 

If you aren't agreeing with the masses, reddit isn't for you.

If you want to speak honestly without wearing the mask of a hypocrite, reddit isn't for you.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:37 AM, Zalor said:

You just described all of Reddit right there, and the exact reason I hate it. Unironically, I've had much better discussions about VNs on various boards of 4chan than I ever have on Reddit. 

Yeah 4chan is the best for that. Cuz there 'discussions' actually happen, instead of people just removing your stuff for personal bias. 

3 hours ago, Clephas said:

At one point, there was a discussion centered around how annoying I am on the VN Reddit (about four years ago, I think...) and some jerkwad sent me the link in a pm.  I would have laughed or cried if I gave a crap what a bunch of people caught by groupthink thought, but I didn't.

edit: To clarify, I believe that large social media sites are an abomination that should be purged from the net so forums can once again take it over.

Mood lmao

All social media are cancer and should be purged off the internet, there are no more discussions to be made there. The quicker you realize they're not the centrepiece of the world, the happier and more fulfilling will your life become.

I'm still trying to learn how to pull myself away from social media.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:59 PM, joshopit said:

Big subreddits have that kind of problem. Small subreddits with <500 people are usually okay. But when the group is that small discord/skype/keybase/whatsapp/kik would do the trick. I haven't seen the VN subreddit getting bad though outside some moderation issues.

I find that when I use Reddit/social media, I judge people immediately based on downvotes/upvotes. I start reading to comments that I agree with. It's something that I do only with social media. Maybe it's me that is the problem?

At least forums are obtuse enough that I need a desktop to view it.