Hello - And something fun...

Intrinsic

It was odd watching people guess. For the most part people started at the most common age demographic for this type of forum and then slowly and methodically worked their way up. I have to say, this made me feel quite old, lol *cries a little bit inside*

Gender is only two choices, this makes giving a hit for this choice without just giving it away hard. Most hints would be some type of male or female stereotype too, which I didn’t want to bring up. So I just left this a binary fifty fifty chance to the end.

Canada recently phased out its penny, so we no longer have copper in our currency. When you buy things they round up or down to the nearest 5 cents now. I wanted the country out of the equation first as this was probably the hardest and most boring thing to guess.  With this hint combined with the already short list of countries to pick from I hoped the choice would become clear quickly, without bluntly saying what it was.

Then you had some odd answers, like the country of “North America”. Also, since most VNs are adult content the younger guesses at 12 and 13 years old were a bit odd too {Maybe this was just some people’s wishful thinking?}

As people where guessing it was so hard not to make comments! Doing so would give stuff away, but so many times I wanted to comment on things people were saying as the days went on.

Anyway I had fun with this, and I hope other people did too. Thanks again for all the warm welcomes and also thanks to all those who humoured me and played along ^_^

PS. if you are reading this and haven't read my prior post the winner results are in my last post.

Then you had some odd answers, like the country of “North America”. Also, since most VNs are adult content the younger guesses at 12 and 13 years old were a bit odd too {Maybe this was just some people’s wishful thinking?}

Through the power of the internet, age barriers are practically non-existent, at least if the parents/legal guardians are slackers.  But I do agree those young ages were odd at least in the view that the person they are describing would have to use international mailing most likely.

Through the power of the internet, age barriers are practically non-existent, at least if the parents/legal guardians are slackers.  But I do agree those young ages were odd at least in the view that the person they are describing would have to use international mailing most likely.

I thought people might read my posts for hints too. Like me saying I bought games from JAST USA = likely not under 18 as I likely have a credit card and likely passed their age gate while ordering.

Though, thinking about it further, I'm sure me at 13 years of age would have loved to get my hands on and play eroge, lol. So maybe it's not that out to lunch.

well... Actually based on all the hints...

37 female

31 male

13 male

30 female

33 female

42 female

in canada

where the only options left. Some people chose things not on this list, while options on the list were not even selected...

30F was guessed yesterday, the list I came up with this morning was 13M, 31M, 33F, 37F and 42F. 13 is unlikely, not only because of the VN demographic, but because your post style doesn't seem like that of a 13 year old. 37 and 42 were outlier guesses,so you couldn't have expected them to have been guessed yesterday, which left 31M and 33F, with 31M being more likely because it had a higher chance of being guessed yesterday, and because my intuition told me you were male.

I may or may not have taken this a bit too seriously. >.>

Sounds like you were really thinking about it. You're right 30F shouldn't be in that list. I just quickly came up with that list now... While this community is likely largely male, and it was probably the safer bet, I typically don't speak in a way that makes it that obvious, or I don't think I do at least? It's not that I'm intentionally hiding anything, I'm just am typically tactful with my words. So it makes me wonder what you're intuition was based on.

Yep I figured the Flutterz answer was the correct one.

Indeed copper coin thing was a dead giveaway for Canada.

The gender, if we think older age then male is the safest bet because there have been male otaku for a longer time than female otaku.

The lack of all the LOL / ^-^ / XD / etc. in your messages was also a clue that you're more likely 31 than 13

@zoom909 - Speaking of otaku, some day I should post pictures of the room I'm sitting in right now. Every wall is completely covered with posters and art prints. There isn't a physical spot big enough, on any of the walls, to hang a single additional poster. It looks pretty neat.... I wish I had more poster hanging room somewhere...

@flutterz - If I had to guess, it's probably the rigid way in which I write. I usually make sure things are precise too. Like if I was making a shipping list I'd write 2% milk, and a dozen large eggs. While someone else might simply put eggs and milk on their list,  leaving out specifics. Spending more focus and time on numbers odds and details is probably more likely a male thing to do.

Like when I read the post from someone suggesting simple random math was good for guessing, I had to stop myself from posting a big rant reasoning out why that wouldn't be the best option. When I started thinking of Battleships it made me want to play because I spent a lot of time pondering the most efficient way to cover the board with guesses.

Like when I read the post from someone suggesting simple random math was good for guessing, I had to stop myself from posting a big rant reasoning out why that wouldn't be the best option. When I started thinking of Battleships it made me want to play because I spent a lot of time pondering the most efficient way to cover the board with guesses.

For the record, I did that because I didn't read the first post, saw everyone guessing, and was bored so I said that (the first post)

Then I read the first post and modified my answer, but I still wasn't really trying to guess or saying it's the best way either (probably isn't, you'll probably have to run the random number thing quite a few times before you get it anyways. Mainly cause 120*2*4 options (ignoring the fact my #2 "answer" had decimals/floats for age and gender to account for nonbinary genders and such... also hey gotta take into account probably-too-old people and kids-who-shouldn't-be-on-the-computer-in-the-first-place :P)  so of course simple random functions wouldn't be the smartest option (especially how broad I was making it)

And when I looked at the posters while writing #2... Well I guess 1-2 of them would be nice to have, but it's not like I actually use newspapers so I kept it as random() because I wasn't actually guessing to win, just to fool/joke around that's all ww. (Even if I won from it I would have probably refused the prize :S)

Ok, kendjin. Thanks for letting me know. I will contact boomer to see what he's up to. I'm not sure about sticking together, but postage might be a bit cheaper if he is in Canada, ;-P - his profile doesn't say.

I felt bad for nosebleed, but even if the instructions in bold were overlooked, the gender was wrong too =( . It's all good though, thank you for playing along, it was fun.

zhurai, I honestly thought the code idea was neat, but even without hints some things are much more likely than others. Since the pool of data itself isn't totally random it almost seems like a disadvantage to make your guesses totally random. For example, over half the people here are in their 20s, so an equal chance of guessing an age of 80 something just doesn't seem the best way to go. Even still thanks for the neat idea.

Don't worry.  Most of the people here make me feel old when they tell me their ages...

humm, might I not be the oldest person on these boards? If you don't mind me asking how old are you? You can reply in a PM if you don't want it public.Or not at all if you want to keep a secret from everyone....

Yay, now we know the truth!

Congrats to the winners~

*hides*

Meh, don't hide. Nosebleed is just saying random stuff because he was a bit grumpy after missing the mark by "___" that much. The fact that he is saying such things just means he was really into it and really wanted to win, so I took it as a compliment and didn't plan on saying anything at first... If anything the visual novel community could benefit from having more girls in it. Writers just assume that plopping an h-scene in almost anywhere is good enough for the male audience, but it's not. More often than not they feel out of place and are cliche, so they end up being awkward and the most boring part of the read. Even these awkward events add to the story, because in my mind I consider the weight associated with what the characters have done, so I'd not want them removed. It would just be nice if they were done better. If the amount of women readers was larger, to the point were the writer considered them too, such scenes would likely be better integrated into the story, more realistic, and would contain new ideas. We'd likely see a bit more drama and some new themes in plots too. Their presence is the real world community would add diversity in thought and ideas, and of course most guys wouldn't mind that presence either. It'd be win win all around.

I'm sorry meru but on the internet no one knows wether you're a human or a cat. So i just assume everyone is a male from now on.

No disrespect to your gender.

Meh, don't hide. Nosebleed is just saying random stuff because he was a bit grumpy after missing the mark by "___" that much. The fact that he is saying such things just means he was really into it and really wanted to win, so I took it as a compliment and didn't plan on saying anything at first... If anything the visual novel community could benefit from having more girls in it. Writers just assume that plopping an h-scene in almost anywhere is good enough for the male audience, but it's not. More often than not they feel out of place and are cliche, so they end up being awkward and the most boring part of the read. Even these awkward events add to the story, because in my mind I consider the weight associated with what the characters have done, so I'd not want them removed. It would just be nice if they wer e new themes in plots too. Their presence is the real world community would add diversity in thought and ideas, and of course most guys wouldn't mind that presence either. It'd be win win all around.

The shame..

I agree with all this regarding VNs though, sloppy done h-scenes only put there for the sole purpose of arousing the male audience are pointless and unecessary.

I also think more women in the VN world could give a more valuable opinion indeed but there'll always be a clear difference between games targeted for girls and guys and i feel like there'll always be a stigma that VNs targeted for guys will just include a lot of sexualization and h-scenes and for most women that's not something they'd like to be part of, hopefully that changes because i myself don't like stupid h-scenes shoved in a VN, they make the novel lose a lot of artistic value. And since these are the majority of VNs, the women's role in the VN world is diminished which is a sad fact because Otome games aren't as popular as VNs are from my point of view. Hopefully in the future this changes because i like a good cheesy romance in a while and i read some shoujo manga from time to time.