Textractor Simple Setup

Recently, I used Textractor to read some JP novels. It's a lightweight tool used to extract texts from game then (online) translate to a different language.

I really like this tool, it's much faster and easier to setup than VNR, furthermore it has online translation feature (and even machine learning translation 8))

So I write this post to provide a short setup so that you can get the result like this: 

result.png

Note: First line and second line are Google and Bing translation respectively

Anyway, here's the guide: 

1. Download setup file from this link

(chose Textractor-x.x.x-Setup.exe)

2. Install Textractor normally like any other software in Windows

3. Open Textractor.exe and open your game (in this post, I use Bunny Black 3)

4. Attach your game to Textractor: Click Attach to game and select the game

Now come the tricky parts:

5. Extension setup, currently I'm using these extensions:

extension.png

6. Run your game normally until the dialogue between characters appears.

7. Choose the correct dialogue text box (window box) from the top Drop-Down List (the one that translate the dialogue)

textbox.png

Just try one of them, until you get something like the above image.

8. Extra Window Setup

There's a text window without any button and just texts.

Right click and choose Always on top, so that when you come back to your game, this text box will not be overlapped by your game screen

dialogue.png

Move it to your desired location by hold-click at the borders, click at down-right corner to resize if you want

9. Enjoy your game ! ^_^

Q & A

Q: Translation sucks !

A: Shut up ! It's better than nothing

Edited by droganpc

I prefer to use Textractor to hook the text and Translation Aggregator to display, since Translation Aggregator can display furigana and do mouse-over word lookup using MeCab and JParser.  Machine translation alone just isn't sufficient to understand every line.  At best it's good for superficially skimming the general theme of a scene.  Sometimes that's enough, but sometimes not--especially at the start of a game, when you don't understand much about the characters and setting.  Translation Aggregator can also display machine translation, though I haven't compared the options available (and working) vs. other tools.  It works with ATLAS, which is all I've ever used.

Edited by sanahtlig

On 7/3/2020 at 3:38 AM, sanahtlig said:

I prefer to use Textractor to hook the text and Translation Aggregator to display, since Translation Aggregator can display furigana and do mouse-over word lookup using MeCab and JParser.  Machine translation alone just isn't sufficient to understand every line.  At best it's good for superficially skimming the general theme of a scene.  Sometimes that's enough, but sometimes not--especially at the start of a game, when you don't understand much about the characters and setting.  Translation Aggregator can also display machine translation, though I haven't compared the options available (and working) vs. other tools.  It works with ATLAS, which is all I've ever used.

Does this mean without a tool that help you in Furigana, you can't read Japanese ??? lol. Anyway, studying English is already hard enough for me. Japanese also borrows a lot of English words though. wow, it seems that a lot of fuwanovel members are dedicated Japanese learners 

9 hours ago, droganpc said:

Does this mean without a tool that help you in Furigana, you can't read Japanese ??? lol.

I'm going to dismiss the rude implications of this comment as a lack of English mastery / ignorance of the toxic stereotypes about text hooking.

My point is that there's no rule that you have to use the same tool to hook the text and manipulate it.  A tool that does both may seem a simpler solution, but compatibility is the main priority for a text hooker.  You're going to end up using a different text hooker to solve a compatibility issue at some point, especially since Textractor is no longer being actively developed.  Meanwhile text manipulation tools are relatively stable (though online lookup, such as for machine learning approaches, needs regular upkeep or it breaks).  Separating the text hooking and text manipulation components is useful because it frees you up to find the best tool for each task.  I've used 6 different text hookers over the years since the dawn of VN text hooking around 2004, but Translation Aggregator has served me well for about 12 years now.

Edited by sanahtlig

• 1 year later...