Muv Luv and Alternate

iamnoob

1 hour ago, glupak said:

So first you should play Muv-Luv and then Muv-Luv Alternative, right? Im asking because there seems to be a lot of other games as well.

Well, it would be ideal if you also played Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu first, since some of the characters from these games appear in Muv Luv, but I wouldn't really say it's very important, and neither of these games are available in English yet. Pretty much all the other games from the series are meant to be played after you finish Alternative (and they are just spin-offs and you can just skip them if you want).

1 hour ago, glupak said:

Also at the end of the day is it worth it to play both games?

The first game is pretty meh on its own, especially its first part, Muv Luv Extra, but you still should play it first. Like I said in my previous post, Alternative just doesn't work as well if you skip the first game.

1 hour ago, glupak said:

I know they are praised here but is it the plot that makes it good?

Many reasons, really. Plot, action, wordbuilding, character development. It's also one of the most emotional VNs I've ever experienced, and even Key games pale in comparison. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes there is, for plot reasons, Muv Luv Unlimited is almost mandatory since without it you won't understand half of what's happening at the first half of Alternative, and won't get most of the references, and Muv Luv Extra is important because of:

Spoiler

Sumika, you need to know her before playing Alternative.

Another reason (but not necessary to understand the plot of Alternative) I give you to play Extra and Unlimited is Meiya, she is best girl in my opinion:

Spoiler

This is because you'll only get enough of her in the first game, actually, you'll only romance any heroine in this game, since Alternative locks Takeru to Sumika, this is what enraged me the most in Alternative, since I am a super romance fan, not seeing any route in a VN is almost a deal breaker to me.

That being said, you only need to play one route both in Extra and Unlimited to be able to enjoy Alternative at its fullest, a lot of the content is kind of useless and badly written.

Edited by Soul Hunter