Hime to Aiyoku no Sacrifice [Escu:de] Changing Character Names - SOLVED, but Additional Input still Wanted!

Hi yall, I'm trying to set up Hime to Aiyoku no Sacrifice for translation, using GARbro and Escude Editor.

So far, I've been able to get the UI and scene scripts working in game.

Spoiler

HuLj1oR.png

9BuX9ID.png

But for the life of me I can't seem to change the character names. The only complete list of names I could find is on z_sample.bin under script.bin,

(Found another one, update below)

Spoiler

gCCC1tv.png

But sadly, changing the names here doesn't seem to work. 

Looking through the engine configs and scripts, I noticed the games seem to use some sort of NAME IDs as flags, but Escude Editor only shows the readable text of the .bin files, so I have no idea what is actually happening around the dialogue. 

I'd really appreciate any and all information you might have.

Thanks in advance. 

Update (Jun 24, 2020): Just found db_scr.bin under data.bin which also has a list of character names and likely the place I was looking for. However, Escude Editor can't seem to open these .bin files. Readable by notepad++ with SHIFT-JIS, but causes error when saved. If anyone has a way to edit this please let me know~

data.bin~.7z (Mega Link)

Update (Jun 25, 2020): After quite a bit of fiddling with the file, I was able to get it work with just Notepad++. Turns out, if I make sure that the overall spaces between the sections remains the same, the game will launch and recognize these input with no problem.

Spoiler

v7H0ZGF.png

For example, "カルド" takes up 6 spaces where as "Cardo" only takes up 5 spaces. If I simply add a single space after wards, the file works without problem. Worth mentioning that I cannot save the file with SHIFT-JIS encoding, which is why I have an unedited copy on the side to determine where each input should go.

N7w5mzW.png

However, this method is very finicky and time-consuming. Any slight errors: missing or overdoing a single space would corrupt the entire list - meaning I've had to repack constantly for a few changes at a time to make sure that there's no errors since doing too many at once may cause me to lose track where the error might lie. Definitely doable, but hardly an efficient solution.

On the top of my head, I'm thinking making a code where missing/additional spaces are automatically compensated, plus the ability to extract readable text like the Escude Editor and recompile\save the changes would be the best option. But since I have monkey level of programming knowledge, the aforementioned method is my only option. 

Thanks for reading and hopefully this can become helpful down the line for anyone that might run into the same problem. I would greatly appreciate any additional input you might have.

Edited by Philly
update

Escude is actively releasing games in English.  Why not work on a title unlikely to see an official release?  Alternatively, you could approach English publishers and see if they'd hire you to translate this, in which case the hacking/insertion would probably be done for you.

Edited by sanahtlig

7 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

Escude is actively releasing games in English.  Why not work on a title unlikely to see an official release?  Alternatively, you could approach English publishers and see if they'd hire you to translate this, in which case the hacking/insertion would probably be done for you.

It is a valid concern. While I'm tempted to say that I'm doing this for my sake and don't really care either way, the truth is I didn't think about it that much.

I am trying to expand my knowledge on hacking all kinds of VNs from different producers, mostly out of curiosity and too much spare time given by the corona, so I'm learning something in that respect regardless.

Definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future though, thanks for the heads up. 

6 hours ago, Philly said:

I am trying to expand my knowledge on hacking all kinds of VNs from different producers

If you're just making tools to alter text (i.e., you're not going to release something aimed at end-users), then this is a non-issue.  You mentioned you have very little programming experience, so I assumed your main skill set was translation.