What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

9 hours ago, Rooke said:

To me, Danganronpa will always be a poor man's Phoenix Wright :P 

I don't know. As a series, yeah, I prefer Ace Attorney over DanganRonpa. But as a single game, I like DanganRonpa 2 as much as I like Gyakuten Kenji 2 (AAI2), which is my favorite AA. (even if it's a spin-off)

Finally finished dues ex, bittersweet ending... after 45 hours nothing really happened >_> they are leaving all the good plot for the new DLCs which sucks.

I will point out the bad stuffs only that are almost game break:

Having to travel from one part of the city to another shouldnt take 6 minutes of constant loading screens, you need to take the sub....load...cops inspect you....run from one point into another to then someone tell you "you need to go back AGAIN!" 
seriously I don't know how this passed as a good idea, it was dreadful! specially when the city was under the curfew ASDSFDGFDGFG they kinda forced you to use one of the "cheat augmentations" like the one that blends you in with the environment , why not just put everything under one big map? why leave that little part aside and make it travel all the time from one place to another, again and again and again >_> pure bad gaming design 

Other than that well the story was actually nothing until the very ending not even the ending itself but a little cut-scene between the ending credits which took around 15 -20 min to roll (I'm not joking...)

Prague was ok and was big enough but I really wanted to see something else..more variety, like in human revolution where you start in detroit and move to china later on and you can actually see the difference. 

On 2016-09-04 at 2:22 PM, Deep Blue said:

Finally finished dues ex, bittersweet ending... after 45 hours nothing really happened >_> they are living all the good plot for the new DLCs which sucks.

I will point out the bad stuffs only that are almost game break:

Having to travel from one part of the city to another shouldnt take 6 minutes of constant loading screens, you need to take the sub....load...cops inspect you....round from one point into another to then someone tell you "you need to go back AGAIN!" 
seriously I don't know how this passed as a good idea, it was dreadful! specially when the city was under the curfew ASDSFDGFDGFG they kinda forced you to use one of the "cheat augmentations" like the one that blends you in with the environment , why not just put everything under one big map? why leave that little part aside and make it travel all the time from one place to another, again and again and again >_> pure bad gaming design 

Other than that well the story was actually nothing until the very ending not even the ending itself but a little cut-scene between the ending credits which took around 15 -20 min to roll (I'm not joking...)

Prague was ok and was big enough but I really wanted to see something else..more variety, like in human revolution where you start in detroit and move to china later on and you can actually see the difference. 

My thought. (They detached actual parts including on the game, to sell it like dlc. Like seriously I won't believe the story dlc are releasing so soon, unless they are surprisingly short.) :jinpou:

It's been a while since I last made a concerted effort to raise my weeb level, so I thought I should try to get into this whole Touhou thing. I picked up the just-localized Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet, and played it a bit this morning (watched the tutorial, and then took Reimu through Story mode). I was honestly kind of disappointed that I beat Story Mode without losing a set, seeing as I literally never play shooters, but whatever; I don't mind things being not super difficult, and I was really, really close to losing both of the last two sets anyway (I actually made a pretty big comeback while on my Extend, or however you call it when you're down to where one hit will kill you), so it's not like it was actually easy.

It was kind of fun, I guess? The gameplay was all right, but I don't think I could see myself really enjoying spending a whole ton of time with it, unless there's a substantially higher level than the last boss of that Story Mode I just finished (and some reward, ideally story-related, for achieving that higher level). People often talk about these games like they have an interesting story, but the one in Reimu's "story mode" was about as weak as they come. I'm not trying to diss it or anything, by the way; just wondering what I'm missing here.

Aight bois, my fking Cold Steel II is finally here, omg hype :ryuusui:, and just showing the LE contents of the first game cuz why not

8yJCIlU.jpg (800×450)

P.S. l0l 

Spoiler

"Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $0.03 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PlayStation Vita
              Price on order date: $39.99
        Price charged at shipping: $39.96
 Lowest price before release date: $39.96  
                         Quantity: 1
                    Total Savings: $0.03

$0.03 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee. 

"

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

P.S. l0l 

Hide contents

"Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $0.03 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PlayStation Vita
              Price on order date: $39.99
        Price charged at shipping: $39.96
 Lowest price before release date: $39.96  
                         Quantity: 1
                    Total Savings: $0.03

$0.03 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee. 

"

I get this all the damn time. Always three cents. Until this week, when my new Touhou LE came in, and it was $10 saved; non-trivial amount of money, get!

I really need to start playing the Trails games at some point, huh...

4 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

It's been a while since I last made a concerted effort to raise my weeb level, so I thought I should try to get into this whole Touhou thing. I picked up the just-localized Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet, and played it a bit this morning (watched the tutorial, and then took Reimu through Story mode). I was honestly kind of disappointed that I beat Story Mode without losing a set, seeing as I literally never play shooters, but whatever; I don't mind things being not super difficult, and I was really, really close to losing both of the last two sets anyway (I actually made a pretty big comeback while on my Extend, or however you call it when you're down to where one hit will kill you), so it's not like it was actually easy.

It was kind of fun, I guess? The gameplay was all right, but I don't think I could see myself really enjoying spending a whole ton of time with it, unless there's a substantially higher level than the last boss of that Story Mode I just finished (and some reward, ideally story-related, for achieving that higher level). People often talk about these games like they have an interesting story, but the one in Reimu's "story mode" was about as weak as they come. I'm not trying to diss it or anything, by the way; just wondering what I'm missing here.

Touhou Genso Rondo is a fan made game that just gets ported to PS4 by NIS. It doesn't have any affiliation with ZUN the original creator of Touhou nor is he involved in it's development. And yes apparently the Touhou fans have already mixed reviews on the game with its lengthy tutorial, lack of unique modes, shallow story, low-poly models and bland backgrounds while positive ones tends to praise the soundtrack, interesting concept of mixing bullet hell and fighting, fast-paced gameplay and colorful bullets and animation.

Actual Touhou games are still hard as hell and has more story in it.

3 hours ago, Jibril said:

Touhou Genso Rondo is a fan made game that just gets ported to PS4 by NIS. It doesn't have any affiliation with ZUN the original creator of Touhou nor is he involved in it's development. And yes apparently the Touhou fans have already mixed reviews on the game with its lengthy tutorial, lack of unique modes, shallow story, low-poly models and bland backgrounds while positive ones tends to praise the soundtrack, interesting concept of mixing bullet hell and fighting, fast-paced gameplay and colorful bullets and animation.

Actual Touhou games are still hard as hell and has more story in it.

Thanks, that explains a lot. What would be a good entry to try to get into the series, ideally one with a more legit story? I admit I mostly picked this one up because it was available on a console; I really prefer gaming there, if possible, over the PC (yeah, yeah, I know).

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Thanks, that explains a lot. What would be a good entry to try to get into the series, ideally one with a more legit story? I admit I mostly picked this one up because it was available on a console; I really prefer gaming there, if possible, over the PC (yeah, yeah, I know).

Gameplay wise, The 8th game Imperishable Night is the easiest to get into, story wise the 6th game Embodiment of Scarlet Devil and working your way up from there. IMO the best console for Touhou games are arcade consoles since bullet hell games are easiest with those (huge screens for the bullet hells and responsive, sturdy controls). But hey, Touhou is originally made on PC so there's that....

Oh and Touhou 7.5, 10.5, 12.3, 13.5 and 14.5 are all fighting games. They're also canon. Touhou 1-5 is considered non-canon by ZUN even though he made it himself. They're games from the PC-98 eras so maybe that's the reason. You don't need to start from there though, most would recommend 6th for beginners who want the stories.

Picked up Final Fantasy Type-0 on the PSP. I haven't played much, but I am impressed so far. The tone/setting looks great, the mechanics look complex (the amount of stuff seems pretty intimidating, at least at first glance), and the entire game seems to be hard as hell. Side-objectives that kill you immediately if you fail them? Damn this thing isn't messing around... :pyaa: 

My Trails of Cold Steel II came in yesterday, so... time to dig in!

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:41 AM, Fred the Barber said:

I get this all the damn time. Always three cents. Until this week, when my new Touhou LE came in, and it was $10 saved; non-trivial amount of money, get!

I really need to start playing the Trails games at some point, huh...

That's not the proper phrasing. You should HAD ALREADY played them all. Every single second that you're late to the party is a grave offense!

thinking of getting myself a new game, still have not decided what to buy though.

Doubting between Overwatch, Dues ex mankind dived, mirrors edge catalyst and battlefield one.
Dues ex seems like a lot of fun, but im not to fond of the micro transactions and the potential massive amount of DLC for the game. 
Same kind of goes for battlefield one, and well EA is publishing it.

3 hours ago, havoc said:

thinking of getting myself a new game, still have not decided what to buy though.

Doubting between Overwatch, Dues ex mankind dived, mirrors edge catalyst and battlefield one.
Dues ex seems like a lot of fun, but im not to fond of the micro transactions and the potential massive amount of DLC for the game. 
Same kind of goes for battlefield one, and well EA is publishing it.

The answer is OW, and then to play it with me.

Btw, the micro transactions on Deus Ex are some weird extra shit. You don't need anything to play the campaign (except maybe the game itself).

Looking at all the hype here.... I should probably finish Trails of the Cold Steel and play the second one, which has been sitting on my account for over a year now... I like the gameplay and the music, but I can't say the same about the story. I've been playing Cold Steel for like three quarters of a year now with all the breaks in between, the extremely slow pacing is killing me. I've decided to stop bothering with doing every single (hidden) quest at around chapter 4-5, but it still feels so slow. I get that this is the first game in a trilogy, but all that really ever happens is world building, more world building and hints at a plot that might sometimes even happen - but it never really does, and I'm almost in the last chapter. I suppose I'm just not a fan of RPGs that focus on the world more than anything else, I feel like the amount of story I've gotten is disproportionately low compared to the 50-60 hours I've spent on the game already.

Ya Trails is a veeeery slice of life oriented JRPG and as much as I enjoyed it even I dreaded moving onto a next chapter at times since you just know you'll have to grind through several hours of exposition again and check in with all the NPCs you were interested in before you can finally roam around; very tedious

6 hours ago, Vokoca said:

Looking at all the hype here.... I should probably finish Trails of the Cold Steel and play the second one, which has been sitting on my account for over a year now... I like the gameplay and the music, but I can't say the same about the story. I've been playing Cold Steel for like three quarters of a year now with all the breaks in between, the extremely slow pacing is killing me. I've decided to stop bothering with doing every single (hidden) quest at around chapter 4-5, but it still feels so slow. I get that this is the first game in a trilogy, but all that really ever happens is world building, more world building and hints at a plot that might sometimes even happen - but it never really does, and I'm almost in the last chapter. I suppose I'm just not a fan of RPGs that focus on the world more than anything else, I feel like the amount of story I've gotten is disproportionately low compared to the 50-60 hours I've spent on the game already.

The thing is that the Trails games focus their story to actually work thorough all the games. So the first game might feel slow (although not to me cuz I loved a lot the field studies style, and felt it would have benefitted from a few more chapters and travels around Erebonia), since the story will span thorough all the games, and not start and finish in each of them.

So yeah, story wise, the first might feel a lot like a huge introduction. But you need to realise that it feels like this cuz it truly is. The "main" part of the story, introduced at the end of the first game, would make 0 sense unless you had done and seen the other things during the game.

Devoted tons of hours into Persona 4: Golden (as explained in my Persona thread) and also Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth over the past month. Both games are 'alright', and they do kinda merit my purchase of Vita. I think P4G was definitely worth my money more so than Digimon: CS just due to the lackluster story alone of "Digimon Story". Ironic. I mean, Cyber Sleuth's story wasn't terrible, but it felt like the same ol' stuff, a mishmash of the Royal Knights and Yggdrasil from Digimon Savers, and your typical Digidestined story that we're all so familiar with by now with every Digimon release. It's nice that they tried to incorporate certain philosophical/existential crisis elements into the story, but it just doesn't feel like anything special, especially with its price tag of $69.90 on PSN.

The most atrocious part of the game, however, isn't the story itself. The story was mediocre, but I could suck it up regarding that. My real gripe is an ongoing problem a lot of video games suffer from today: F***ing. Pre-order. DLC. And not just any pre-order DLC. I mean, if it's just skins and extra content, I have not much justification for complaining about this since I wouldn't be forced to buy them. However, the DLCs here are exclusive Digimon that are probably some of the most powerful Digimon you're gonna get in the game, including but not limited to Beelzemon Blast Mode and BlackWarGreymon. Oh, but that's not all! Some of the bosses in the game REQUIRE these powerful Digimon to beat them! What the actual f***?! How low can you get?! I had an impossible time unlocking a Royal Knight (Duftmon) on Hard Mode because I don't have those DLC Digimon that would have made my life a little easier, so I had to give up and turn down the difficulty to Normal, which is pretty much "Easy Level" (there are only two difficulty settings in the game).

The last time I played the game a few days ago, I was pretty much at the final chapter of the game, but I lost tremendous interest because of this dirty, dirty move where I couldn't beat the 'end-game' bosses because of a lack of those DLC Digimon, particularly BlackWarGreymon that will definitely help you out a lot due to his solid balance of defense and attack. So instead, I've switched back to playing P4G.

Now, my experience with P4G was better expressed in my Persona thread, but one thing I would like to point out is that I got spoiled by a YouTube video regarding the bad end, and it's probably the most important spoiler in the entire game. The thing is, I didn't intentionally go out and search for "PERSONA SPOILERS" on Google like an idiot. The video was placed on my "Recommended Videos" list on YouTube, and I didn't even need to click on it because the thumbnail itself, combined with its spoiler title, were more than enough. What a jerk.

Aside from that incredibly frustrating aspect of my experience, the game is, like I said, definitely worth the money. That being said, I wouldn't call it "Game of the Year" material. It's one of those "it's a good experience, just not great" kind of thing. The gameplay is my least favorite part of the game, but not unenjoyable (not any more than Digimon CS definitely), especially on Safety Mode. The alternate outfits are a lot of fun though, and I can't wait to unlock that Power Ranger one. :sacchan:

The story itself is the second best part (the mystery stuff is alright, but the drama and heavy themes of the game are far more interesting), right after the best part of the game, the characters. Nanako is adorable,

Spoiler

(which makes the aforementioned spoiler all that atrocious)

and her "Welcome home, big bro" is practically a ear-worm. Seriously, someone needs to make a mix-tape of Nanako sayings. "We've got veggies!" "C'mon, grow!" Seriously, she's definitely the best dub voice in the entire game. "Everyday is great at your Junes!" I'm not that attached to the main cast aside from Chie though. I mean, Yukiko is too much of a normal girl for me, and Yosuke, while a bro to the end, just didn't stand out much from the 'anime sidekick textbook'. Teddie gets points for being adorable as well. And as for Kanji... well, I would have picked him for best gurl if he had came earlier in the game. :holo:

However, I can't really imagine replaying this game now that I've followed a walkthrough, so the NG+ is pretty much pointless unless I fail to max out my slinks on the first try or something. I'm not that interested in the NG+ bonus boss or the dungeon aspect of the game, to be honest, so there really isn't much merit going for me. As far as the dialogue is concerned, most of the dialogue in the story is going to be the same, so there's, again, not much merit for replaying the story for another 30 hours. There's some slight variety, but not much. I'm beginning to see a trend in JRPGs where the NG+ don't really have that much of a 'plus' (both Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and Digimon World Re:Digitize suffer from this as well). Whereas with a visual novel or even Mass Effect, there are quite significant amount of different outcomes you can explore, including the different waifu scenarios you can play out in all three Mass Effect games, something that's reduced to a 5 minute clip in Persona 4 whenever you max someone's slink. Honestly, I'm just disappointed I didn't get to pork Chie. :P

Overall, I give the game a solid 8/10, maybe even 8.5 by the time I finish the game. It's got so much content in the first playthrough (AFAIK), so it's definitely a huge bang for your buck. The only complaint I have is that Persona 5 might not be ported to Vita so this might be my first and final Persona experience, and the very popular P3 FES, claimed to have a better story than P4G, will never be ported to Vita either.

Closing Thoughts: Cyber Sleuth was kinda a waste of money, and P4G was money well-spent.

Slightly Off-Topic Note
I might also buy Trails of Cold Steel in the near future. More slice of life story-driven goodness. I initially wanted to play Trails in the Sky, but being the graphicwhore that I am, the 8-bit isometric top-down perspective just put me off. Thankfully, Trails of Cold Steel was said to be playable on its own for newcomers, albeit remaining ignorant of the references to previous games. Here's hoping Trails of Cold Steel will be as satisfying as Persona 4 is so far.

Aside from that, there's also Danganronpa 2 on Vita, which I had began to be on the fence less than a month ago when I was reminded of the story from the first game. I gave Danganronpa 1 a replay a few weeks back (this time on PC via Steam), and it was rather unpleasant because I found myself not really enjoying the writing. The comedy fell flat, the characters were not engaging. I remember that my first playthrough of Danganronpa a few years ago wasn't really satisfying either. Not only was the ending lackluster, but by the end of it, most of the characters just aren't that great, reduced to generic anime archetypes. So by the time I had wanted to buy Danganronpa 2, this distressing memory just put me off.

That being said, I am still somewhat interested in this whole business about 'Despair Academy'. I read that there's a third game, and even an anime tie-in for that game. I read up on some of the lore, and it did catch my interest a little bit. At this point though, it's Trails of Cold Steel > Danganronpa games > Toukiden on Vita, maybe, the 'Monster Hunter copy'.

After a very long hiatus, I got back into Tales of Zestiria. I just now got to the big, completely unsurprising reveal of Rose (seriously, I figured that out at her second appearance, and I'm dense as a stone when it comes to these kinds of things), and I couldn't be happier about it. Anybody who's upset about trading Alicia out for Rose has even shittier taste than I do.

TBH, I don't get why this game didn't get a warmer reception. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, certainly more than either Xillia game. It's a Tales game; they're never great. But they're usually pretty good, and this one is no exception.

Because Rose is rather boring. Alicia was at least interesting. The only interesting one, at least. I made it like 20 hours in the game and quit. It's the worst Tails game I ever played. It's almost like they put zero effort into the characters, usually Tales strongest point.

That and the story is as cliche as you can get.

Also finding Trails in the Sky vastly overrated. 5 hours in and I've had a few moments that made me smile, but the combat is pretty boring, the story is below average, characters are great, and art is great.

But a poor story and poor gameplay make me not want to contineu.

2 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Also finding Trails in the Sky vastly overrated. 5 hours in and I've had a few moments that made me smile, but the combat is pretty boring, the story is below average, characters are great, and art is great.

But a poor story and poor gameplay make me not want to contineu.

Well, considering what was said about the story in the 'Trails' franchise setting itself up over other games,

9 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

The thing is that the Trails games focus their story to actually work thorough all the games.

I could somewhat understand why it might be boring in the first five hours.

That being said, it would require a really amazing story to get me to play an isometric game.[/filthycasual]