What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

Heroes 3 is still the best HOMM game. It built on what made the first two good and made it all even better. 4 is the pariah of the series. 5 was like a 3D remake of 3 with some added jankiness and super long load times and turn processing times. 6 was okay, I thought. Not as good as 3, though.

Whatever you do, do NOT get the Steam version of Heroes 3, though. The GOG version is superior.

Heroes 3 is still the best HOMM game. It built on what made the first two good and made it all even better. 4 is the pariah of the series. 5 was like a 3D remake of 3 with some added jankiness and super long load times and turn processing times. 6 was okay, I thought. Not as good as 3, though.

Yeah, the HD remake was a bummer. By default, it's more expensive than the GOG version while having less content. Thanks, Ubisoft. 

There are other good similar games, too. You may want to check out the modern King's Bounty games, which are basically RPGs heavily influenced by the HOMM series. Think kind of like single-hero HOMM games with no city management and VERY long story campaigns. There's also Disciples II, which actually has a more JRPG-ish turn-based battle system. And Age of Wonders 3, which leans closer to Civilization.

Yeah, the HD remake was a bummer. By default, it's more expensive than the GOG version while having less content. Thanks, Ubisoft. 

There are other good similar games, too. You may want to check out the modern King's Bounty games, which are basically RPGs heavily influenced by the HOMM series. Think kind of like single-hero HOMM games with no city management and VERY long story campaigns. There's also Disciples II, which actually has a more JRPG-ish turn-based battle system. And Age of Wonders 3 is good, which leans closer to Civilization.

Whatever you do, do NOT get the Steam version of Heroes 3, though. The GOG version is superior.

still playing witcher 3.  Been havin fun dicking around in the alchemy tree, and taking on enemies that are so high above my levels that they're labeled as question marks and skull icons.  Ahh~ ahh~, i kind of wish i didn't spend my first playthrough tackling really hard challenges as soon as i encountered them, now everything is just easy as hell in this game since i spent so much time honing my control over the mechanics.  nnnnnnn i want the new dlcs nowwwwwww :\

I'm stuck in the endless hell of Lufia 2's ancient dungeon. For anyone who hasn't played Lufia 2 I highly recommend it, it's a really amazing RPG by Natsume that came out pretty late in the SNES's life, so it's absolutely packed full of content. It's got so many crazy systems and puzzles and secrets that it's just fun the whole way through. But halfway through the game you get the option to go to this optional dungeon called the ancient dungeon. It's 100 levels long, and randomly generated. When you go in you start at level 1 with no equipment and have to find equipment and items in random chests. You could get piffly weak weapons or super strong Godkillers or anything in between. You could go a whole run without finding a single heal spell (which usually means dying very quickly) or you could have a perfect run only to die to some unlucky crits or a random mimic treasure chest wiping your party. Your only goal is to get Blue Chests, which give you equipment that you can take out of the Ancient Dungeon and use in the normal game (everything else you get in the ancient dungeon is removed whenever you exit). Your only other goal is to collect 8 treasures which go on display at a museum by the dungeon, but that's really only for street cred since they don't do anything for you in the game itself.

I can't imagine running this without a fast-forward button and emulator (to save state before opening any chest, lest it be a mimic) because even with fast-forward it usually takes me two hours per run (my runs usually end either in death or running away by the 30th floor or so... haven't gotten anywhere near the bottom). The only way to beat it is to keep going in time after time, slowly collecting a full set of Blue Chest equipment which you can take back into the dungeon whenever you start it again. It has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the game, and actually beating it will make the game completely broken for you with the super over-powered crap you get in the dungeon, but man it's so addicting and fun. I almost feel like going out and getting the new Shiren the Wanderer game for Vita since it's sort of the same thing.

(nah I'll wait for the Touhou dungeon game, that looks even better)

Getsuya, did you know there's a Lufia 2 game mode where you only play the Ancient Cave? If you beat the game once, you unlock "Retry" mode, which is just the ordinary game but you get 4x EXP and 4x Money (speed run!). If you beat "Retry" mode, though, it unlocks the Ancient Cave-only mode. I don't know if there's another mode after that, but I have a suspicion there is, because there was room for it on the game start menu, IIRC...

Anyway, the cool thing about the Ancient Cave-only mode is that you can select your party from the whole game's cast each time before you go into the cave. So, you can tune your party based on the blue chest gear you get, for one thing. And for another, you can bring Dekar along with you all the time. Not only is he a total badass stats-wise, if you get lucky you can get a Dekar Blade, which you will really, really want to beat the final boss (I actually did beat the cave once, but only because I used a cheat code [either with a Game Genie or with the emulator] to instant level-up to 99 from the first fight :D ... and it still wasn't easy). I think the farthest I've legitimately gotten was somewhere in the level 50s or so. Even if you're Level 99, with a good set of gear, it's still easy to get clobbered on the bottom floors by random monsters - the baddies from about 70 onwards are all seriously bad news, from what I recall. The boss... is weird. What you really need to beat the boss is a lot of gear with AP abilities (I think that's what it was called?) that do percentage-based damage, because the boss has a crapton of HP and you have a limited time to beat him.

Man that is awesome. I'm probably going to make a few more tries with the party I have now (I went as soon as it opened up so I have Maxim, Guy, Dekar and Selan) and then go beat the game twice so I can unlock that mode.

I really am starting to love Mysterious Dungeon style games, though I wish more of them were turn-based RPGs like Lufia instead of being action RPGs like the majority of the genre. Still, I think I'll pick up Shiren 5 for Vita and the Touhou one when that hits too.

Edit: Woooooo! Found Strong on floor 2.

Edit2: AND Champion. For some reason I never have a run where I find one but not the other, and I usually find them close together. Too bad neither can save me when blue chest mimics eat my face.

My computer broke down and now I will have to resort to my Playstation 3 for fun... Guess it's time to finish those Tales of Graces f and Xillia I bought on sale and never got to finish. Started Graces f, got to Pascal's sister's laboratory and quit on the first boss there. 19 hours in and I still don't understand how the combat in this bloody game works. Oh well, guess I'm just a stiff who likes his turn based or completely fluid gameplay, not some mish mash (excuse me if I completely missed the point of it's combat) heh.

Ahh, that's pretty much my preferred party, anyway. I think that's usually how I set it up when I could pick my own party, though it does always feel weird having Maxim in the back row.

I think Lufia 2 is the only game where I've really, thoroughly enjoyed that pure dungeon crawling gameplay; there's some serious magic in the way they set everything up. I still pick up Lufia 2 and play it for a while every couple of years, mostly because of the Ancient Cave, but also for the really fun puzzles. I remember they released a Lufia 2 remake for the DS a few years ago, and I was super excited, but playing it was really disappointing... they'd missed all the best parts of the original game (the turn-based combat, and the fun puzzles...)

My computer broke down and now I will have to resort to my Playstation 3 for fun... Guess it's time to finish those Tales of Graces f and Xillia I bought on sale and never got to finish. Started Graces f, got to Pascal's sister's laboratory and quit on the first boss there. 19 hours in and I still don't understand how the combat in this bloody game works. Oh well, guess I'm just a stiff who likes his turn based or completely fluid gameplay, not some mish mash (excuse me if I completely missed the point of it's combat) heh.

No, you can't quit! The combat in Graces F is the biggest part of what makes it miles better than the other Tales games I've played from the same era (Xillia, Xillia 2, and Vesperia). Are you using the back-step and side-step enough? You've got to abuse the heck out of those mechanics to do well in the game... but if you're using those heavily, then I dunno.

Finally Beat Dawn of war II-Chaos Rising, I can finally move on to Retribution, both sad and happy at the same time , happy because I finally get to play some more dawn of war II, sad that it is the last dawn of war II game, I would say I did a shitty job in that last mission...Got all my blood raven brothers killed, but still somehow I got the full purity ending,lol 

Checking out ESO right now. Have had the game for a million years, and even had an active subscription for months without even playing. Figured I'd finally mess around with it, lol. 

And here it is, finally going for the last battle...Alone, with no help from my space marine brother.

Guess it's up to my ultra elite terminator squads to defend the whole planets without any help... 

You can do it, Ku-chan!  :illya:

Checking out ESO right now. Have had the game for a million years, and even had an active subscription for months without even playing. Figured I'd finally mess around with it, lol. 

You can do it, Ku-chan!  :illya:

Of course, a bunch of cowards imperial guards, a few space marines against a whole tyranid fleet, i'm sure it's completely fair. 

So, I finished my download and installation of The Witcher and playing it now. I don't really dislike the combat that much. It is pretty much as clunky as others have described it, but I've gotten a fairly solid grip on the controls. I've only finished the first segment of the game, but I like the plot development so far. I think it's pretty enjoyable.