What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

Jumping between Tales of Xillia 2 and Crysis 3, i'll talk later about Xillia 2.

I am geniunely impressed by Crysis 3, a very interesting gameplay with way more depth than you'd expect from an ego shooter, and the best graphics you can find for a game, it's easy, Crysis 3, a 2013 game, looks like a super beautiful game from 2017, especially with the way forests and nature is rendered ingame, it's fucking impressive.

The gameplay is good, the graphics are stunning, the music still kicks ass, and most of all : the plot is not bad at all, it's quite interesting, asks some interesting questions, and for a FPS about shooting humans & aliens, it's a rather interesting story and the storytelling is quite decent.

Overall, i expected a shitty FPS with great graphics, i got a fun Game with a lot of great things in it, i may forgive Crytek for committing Crysis 2, cause Crysis 3 is realy their Magnum Opus. 

Finished Crysis 3 : 8/10, one of the best halo-like FPS i've played since...halo Reach, i liked every part of Crysis 3 : the plot, the graphics (duh) and especially the gameplay.

Prophet is a very interesting protagonist, it's quite original when you compare to most FPS, we have a protag that is torn out between what he is trained, almost conceived to do, and his own feelings, he's like a Tsundere, which is fun.

Psycho gives the game that grounded, human-like character it definitely needed, that ex-special operative, stripped of his nanosuit, and forced to become human again, working together with a literal deus ex machina, it gives quite the depth to the story.

Overall, it's a pleasant game, the best crysis in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Finally fucking done with Dark Souls II. Never touching that again.

Accidentally forgot to fulfill the conditions to fight Aldia so joke's on me I guess

Did you play the DLCs? It's my understanding that, ironically, the worst game in the Souls series has the best DLCs.

7 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Did you play the DLCs? It's my understanding that, ironically, the worst game in the Souls series has the best DLCs.

Yep. I would've been done with the game in 70 hours had it not been for the DLCs. All three DLCs' main areas are really good (Shulva, Sanctum City in Crown of the Sunken King, Brume Tower in Crown of the Iron King, Frozen Eleum Loyce in Crown of the Ivory King), probably Brume Tower and Eleum Loyce are in my top 5 zones in the game. But each also have a "challenge run" sort of area that's 100% optional and HORRIBLY DESIGNED in EACH DLC. Iron Passage is likely to be the worst fucking zone in the entire game, and so is Cave of the Dead (the latter is even an effortless rehash of the worst main game zone, the Black Gulch). The last "challenge" area is the Frigid Outskirts and I was so done with the game by then that I just literally went in once, died, said "fuck it" and went and finished the game instead. Overall, all three are DEFINITELY worthwhile, but all have some LOW lows.

The thing is, the game's problems stem from trying to express futility, regret and exhaustion throughout the world and the characters by being dull and forgettable as shit. The level design improves noticeably in the DLC, but the visual design (e.g. the shitty and dull color palette and weird proportions on everything, as opposed to DS1's beauty), the lack of NPCs, and the absence of almost any compelling lore is not far improved from the main game.

Don't expect DS1, don't expect a great game, but merely a good one, if you value Dark Souls' lore and storytelling and level design. If you're more about "I want to try out many ways to kill many bosses", DSII can keep you occupied for hundreds of hours.

19 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Yep. I would've been done with the game in 70 hours had it not been for the DLCs. All three DLCs' main areas are really good (Shulva, Sanctum City in Crown of the Sunken King, Brume Tower in Crown of the Iron King, Frozen Eleum Loyce in Crown of the Ivory King), probably Brume Tower and Eleum Loyce are in my top 5 zones in the game. But each also have a "challenge run" sort of area that's 100% optional and HORRIBLY DESIGNED in EACH DLC. Iron Passage is likely to be the worst fucking zone in the entire game, and so is Cave of the Dead (the latter is even an effortless rehash of the worst main game zone, the Black Gulch). The last "challenge" area is the Frigid Outskirts and I was so done with the game by then that I just literally went in once, died, said "fuck it" and went and finished the game instead. Overall, all three are DEFINITELY worthwhile, but all have some LOW lows.

The thing is, the game's problems stem from trying to express futility, regret and exhaustion throughout the world and the characters by being dull and forgettable as shit. The level design improves noticeably in the DLC, but the visual design (e.g. the shitty and dull color palette and weird proportions on everything, as opposed to DS1's beauty), the lack of NPCs, and the absence of almost any compelling lore is not far improved from the main game.

Don't expect DS1, don't expect a great game, but merely a good one, if you value Dark Souls' lore and storytelling and level design. If you're more about "I want to try out many ways to kill many bosses", DSII can keep you occupied for hundreds of hours.

Oh, I do know that. Miyazaki's absence was felt very much. I get the feeling the team couldn't manage to transmit these feelings and themes without his direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Nabbed a PSVR for the holidays,

It's a really cool niche, the first time you put it on it's a pretty trippy experience playing things like Job Simulator

But then i realized i'm a lightweight who easily gets motionsickness just by playing Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Seriously, sitting stationary in a chair IRL doesn't work well with a moving rollercoaster ingame that speeds down a slope :paranoid:

Then I tried RE 7 VR and i couldn't even get to the Baker House because OMFG CAN SOMEONE JUST GET ME A TREADMILL

~~
Also playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Definitely a fun open world adventure game, beautiful graphics too. Anytime my fam fam walks by they're amazed at how good game graphics have gotten

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently playing Subnautica which was recently released after a very long early access time. This game is genuinely mocking your primal fears of water. It's fascinating and terrifying at the same time. I think the last game that had me so on my toes bcause it was so scary was Amesia - The Dark Descent, and not even that is quite matching it.

It's also the first survival game I ever played and feels a bit like Soma meets Minecraft. Building your own under water base is just deeply satisfying. Especially if things go wrong - like disregarding hull integrity until cracks are building and the whole base is running full of water. Or stalker fish ripping out the camera drones of your navigation room and playing catch the ball with his buddies with it. And not being aware of the huge energy consumption of spot lights and then suffocating because the life support system ran out of power was certainly one of my more creative deaths. Maybe not as terrifying as getting killed by a reaper leviathan after it turned my submarine to scrap metal, but certainly more interesting than drowning 10 meters before reaching the surface.

There are lots of ways do die anyway: Suffocation, dying of thirst, starving, burning, getting cooked by a volcano, death by radiation, poisoning, getting eaten or otherwise killed by sea monsters, hull break in deep waters, etc. It's really making you paranoid. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, BlackCatPrincess said:

Shadow of the colossus remaster. Currently at Collosi no6. I like what they did to the game. The graphics are almost up to date. :meguface:

I've never played the game because I never had a PS console, but I've seen some let's plays of it and man, it's a piece of art if there ever was one. It's also an anti-VN of sorts, telling a memorable story without any text and with barely a few spoken works during the whole thing. ^^

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

On 12/8/2017 at 6:41 PM, Funyarinpa said:

Finally fucking done with Dark Souls II. Never touching that again.

Accidentally forgot to fulfill the conditions to fight Aldia so joke's on me I guess

I'm trying to slay the Darklurker and now I'm out of fucking human effigies so joke's on me I guess. I might move on to NG+ afterwards, I'm hungry for a Dark Souls game and DS1 isn't cutting it (and my laptop's WAY too weak for DS3).

Edited by Funyarinpa

58 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

I'm currently trying to finish my playthrough of GOD EATER 2: RAGE BURST and .hack//G.U. Last Recode but I just can't find the motivation to finish them currently. I wanna' get some new games to play like Blue Reflection, but I need to finish them two first... :vinty:

HAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

@Forgetful Frank

Spoiler

Frankly no idea about God Eater 2, but at least do it for Atoli.

Edited by Kurisu-Chan

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

HAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

@Forgetful Frank

Hide contents

Frankly no idea about God Eater 2, but at least do it for Atoli.

:kosame:

Reading that actually filled me up with motivation for G.U. Thank you~!

Spoiler

SKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIITTTTTTHHHHHHHHH!!!

Just now, Forgetful Frank said:

:kosame:

Reading that actually filled me up with motivation for G.U. Thank you~!

Reveal hidden contents

SKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIITTTTTTHHHHHHHHH!!!

.hack//G.U is pretty good at motivating you to advance, be it for.

Spoiler

Shino at the beginning, then Atoli, and especially Atoli, Atoli is perfect, Atoli is love, Atoli is life. 

Some time ago, I started a .hack marathon to rewatch and replay everything in the franchise, but I ended up getting stuck at Another Birth. I think I'll have to give that one a drop since it only seems to be a retelling of the original 4 games from a different perspective.

GU is half the reason I became so engrossed with .hack in the first place. I can't wait to pick it up again once I finish everything leading up to it.

Just now, Kenshin_sama said:

Some time ago, I started a .hack marathon to rewatch and replay everything in the franchise, but I ended up getting stuck at Another Birth. I think I'll have to give that one a drop since it only seems to be a retelling of the original 4 games from a different perspective.

GU is half the reason I became so engrossed with .hack in the first place. I can't wait to pick it up again once I finish everything leading up to it.

Another Rebirth, the light novel telling BlackRose's point of view?

Also yes, i played the entirety of .hack Games, i still have .hack//Link (the PSP game) and .Hack//Versus, as for the animes, i still have a few anime to watch.

3 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Another Rebirth, the light novel telling BlackRose's point of view?

The official title translation is Another Birth, but yeah that's it. Idk, it probably isn't that bad, but I don't really care for reading something with the same story unless something significant is added. The bullying story adds a bit of a cringe factor to it.

7 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Also yes, i played the entirety of .hack Games, i still have .hack//Link (the PSP game) and .Hack//Versus, as for the animes, i still have a few anime to watch.

Did you watch Roots at least? That's a direct prequel to GU. I also plan on reading the Alcor manga for a little more background on Silabus.

Just now, Kenshin_sama said:

The official title translation is Another Birth, but yeah that's it. Idk, it probably isn't that bad, but I don't really care for reading something with the same story unless something significant is added. The bullying story adds a bit of a cringe factor to it.

Did you watch Roots at least? That's a direct prequel to GU. I also plan on reading the Alcor manga for a little more background on Silabus.

Yep, i did watch Roots and Sign and the OVAs of Sign (frankly Sign was a bore to watch) but Roots was great.