What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

released in the U.S.. in 2000, it is now just about a full 20 years old.

one of the earliest examples of the RPG/Dating Sim mashup genre, and the very first of it's kind to see U.S. localization.

indeed, it was a solid gold rarity to those of us early in on the Anime/Manga train, back in those pre-boom/early formative days of mainstream U.S. Anime fandom.

Heady, heady days, those...

Edited by Tasuke

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying all Atelier PS3 games that were recently released for PC, and yeah I know that I'm very late for this. Between Arland and Dusk trilogy here, I think for now I slightly prefer Dusk here although of course both have their own charm. Also I want to say that Rorona as the first game of Arland trilogy would be a wake up call from GUST in regard of the gameplay in that you should pay attention on the action that you do unless you want to get the bad ending several times, especially if you just directly play it after finished Mana Khemia or Mysterious trilogy.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this would be a fun topic because the thread "What Anime Are You Watching Now?" was interesting to read and I thought it would be a fun to see what games we all have been playing lately. Let's say VNs are excluded except maybe VNs that were released on Consoles like Switch and maybe some one PS4. I know this is a VN forum but I think it'd be a nice change of pace to see what games we're playing to keep our minds from boredom during this pandemic. The games consoles/platform are PC, PlayStation 1-4, Nintendo Switch and other Nintendo devices if you have any, and finally Xbox (I hate Xbox for personal reasons lol). IF I missed any other consoles feel free to add them too. Remember to respect others opinions! Let's have a fun discussion!

13 minutes ago, Silvz said:

I'm playing the DLC for Pokémon Sword and Shield, and I'm enjoying it more than the base game. It has a large map and a lot to do, and it's nice to have to capture the old pokémon who weren't available before.

I've been playing the Pokemon Sword DLC myself I like it a lot I've been trying to get the Shiny Zeraora in Max Raids. I've also been playing some Kingdom Hearts Final Mix on PS4 too, it's just fun to chill out to and enjoy the story.

1 hour ago, Sonicboom2.0 said:

I've been playing the Pokemon Sword DLC myself I like it a lot I've been trying to get the Shiny Zeraora in Max Raids. I've also been playing some Kingdom Hearts Final Mix on PS4 too, it's just fun to chill out to and enjoy the story.

you can't catch Zeraora, unfortunately

30 minutes ago, Silvz said:

you can't catch Zeraora, unfortunately

Actually you can get the Shiny Zeraora through Pokemon Home for being the first million to defeat it I think. You'd have to check Serebii for info or Google search it as I'm not sure on the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

Merged threads.

Also, I'm playing the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI.  

Huh I didn't know there was already one made lol. Sorry and thanks.

2 hours ago, Sonicboom2.0 said:

Actually you can get the Shiny Zeraora through Pokemon Home for being the first million to defeat it I think. You'd have to check Serebii for info or Google search it as I'm not sure on the whole thing.

Huh I didn't know there was already one made lol. Sorry and thanks.

The shiny one will only be available if 1 million players defeat zeraora. If we don't, it won't be given.

Some weeks ago I made the mista... eerrr decision of starting out FFXIV and booooy what a delightful time sink. I'm having a blast just chilling and pointlessly grinding as I'm yet to beat the slog that is ARR's story.

If anyone here plays in the NA server come and say hi and maybe we can even have a peaceful tea time in a beach house. That I hope that you have, that is, because I'm just a poor homeless freelancer Elezen :P

Edited by MaggieROBOT

I'm playing Celeste! My fingers and getting destroyed with having to press multiple keys at the same time... It really feels like a controller game, but I will persevere, I think. Playing a chapter per session seems doable.

Tring to think of the last time I played a 2d platformer and I'm not really coming up with anything... Uh, SuperTux. I played a bit of that since it came with some state-sponsored computers for students like my sister.

It's surprising because I don't usually play this genre. I don't know if they're all like this, but I'm pretty sure Celeste is a puzzle game, where you first solve how you can reach a strawberry, for instance, then you spend 10 minutes trying to execute it and dying a couple dozen times.

Seeing by the amount of people that finished it, I'll presume it is quite doable. It's probably all the extras that'll destroy a person. I think I'll finish, at least.

It reminds me of the other platformer I've played in my life: A Hat in Time, which is the best game ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

dariusburst-chronicle-saviours-ps-vita-p

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours. Only around 25 or so missions into the CS mode (campaign, more or less) but I'm definitely being entertained throughout. I never actually played a shmup before this and was attracted to it simply because the OST was so phenomenal, so I'm really feeling the difficulty, especially since I'm coming off playing multiple RPGs instead of faster paced genres. I'm still relatively young at twenty years old so want to capitalise on my reflexes being optimal enough that I can perform decently at shooters.

Still, trial-and-error and pattern memorisation are key to beating most of the more difficult bosses here, especially when it begins stripping your shields and offering you less lives in missions.  It's also an unpretentious, genuine experience in regards to story, gameplay and aesthetics. In retrospect I probably should've installed and finished Darius Gaiden and G-Darius just to feel the series progression over time (and recognise obvious references to previous games in the music, ships and bosses) though.

I finished playing VA-11 Hall-A recently and it was quite enjoyable. The bartending mechanics were nicely woven into the story and surprisingly challenging at times.

The protagonist, Jill, is adorable and relatable and made for an overall enjoyable experience in the game. She has these weird quirks that contrast with her serious demeanor and makes her all the more endearing. The rest of the cast also have some interesting personalities that kinda make them stand out in their own way, and it was interesting to hear about their views on society. I always made it a point to serve the right drink at the right time so I don't miss out on any good dialogue.

Oh, and Dorothy is a lot of fun :3

The ending managed to make me cry a bit. It was bittersweet, but still left me feeling hopeful for Jill. I'm very much content with how things turned out overall and how well the game managed to leave an impression on me.

The game may or may not need a guide depending on how observant you are, but some choices are just really difficult to get without one. That said, whenever I did find the most optimal answer, I'm always able to trace it back to subtle hints in the dialogue. If any of you go in blind for your first playthrough, I'd recommend paying extra careful attention to each client's preferences and to Jill whenever she talks about a drink's history. Thankfully the game is fairly forgiving on mistakes, so you'll be fine as long as you're not a total jerk.

Overall, I highly recommend it!

Decided to try Rorona now that I've finished with Ayesha, and perhaps may as well finished with the whole Arland trilogy if possible. The challange in here is not fighting the boss, but instead on how to manage the time while aim for ending which could be several at that and involving synthetizing things that can take days (A very precious resources), so let's see if I can handle it later.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 months later...

Code Vein dropped on the Game Pass so I finally broke and decided to give it a chance. I really suck when it goes to souls-like games, but the presence of the companion and frequent bonfires make this one relatively approachable, as far as I can tell. The mix of moe JRPG aesthetic and the ultra-grim/desolate tones of Dark Souls is also pretty amusing.

My biggest enemy so far is... The camera. It's so chaotic that it makes some playstyles, the hunter in particular, very hard to pull off. Also, often the cheap placement of enemies gives you no choice but to brute force encounters, once more making the more squishy classes hard to justify. Some of it is still me sucking and not utilizing the lock-on feature in an optimal manner, but the complains about camera are so frequent that I know there's more to it. Generally though, a fun game. Wouldn't mind sinking a few days into it completely if I could just ignore RL. 😛

Edit: And damn, the balance of this game is all over the place. I went through the really demanding city area, full of irritating terrain and ambushes, straight into this underground mire which is both trivial and rewards insane amounts of souls... I'm not fully complaining, because the resources are nice, but still... :s

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Code Vein! Meaning I've completed the best route and all the base game optional content, the DLCs proved too much of a pain for me – I guess I don't have the patience to play soulslikes seriously after all and the extra levels had no story. However, for what the "casual" experience (playing on normal difficulty with a companion) offered, it was all really satisfying. It was at time challenging, but never frustratingly so and the versatility of the gaming mechanics was great. It was extremely convenient to switch between various builds and play styles, and resources & gear necessary for that were easily accessible, meaning you can experiment to your heart's content. I didn't even grind anything outside of getting lost on two particular levels and killing the same mobs multiple times there – people joke about finding your way in the Cathedral level being the most difficult boss of the game and they're definitely onto something.

However, the story probably deserves a deeper comment, because I really didn't expect to like it at the beginning. However, despite being filled with various brands of over-the-top anime BS, the game does something really interesting. At first you're just confronted with the apocalyptic setting and tons of abstract lore dropped at you all at once, but then the mechanic of gaining new abilities is fully tied with relieving other people's memories and experiencing their struggles during and after the apocalypse. It's cheesy, but a lot of those memories are interconnected and relevant for player's quest. You get a good look at both your allies and the antagonists (there's really just one villain in the game, and he's not even the main focus of everything – everything else is just tragedy on top of tragedy and trying to repair things that went wrong in humanity's last-ditch efforts of survival)... And soon everything starts feeling personal and decently fleshed out. If there was a bit more definition to the protagonist, this could've been a pretty decent chuunige. :3 Especially because it was all really stylish and gloriously edgy, particularly those scenes of reliving memories...

8/10, play it with Game Pass, don't buy the DLC unless you're a Soulslike fanatic and are looking for pain. :P

Now I'll probably let the Xbox rest for a while and get back to my other weeb hobbies properly...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 2 weeks later...