What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

35 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Xenomadness.

Is that really so? Must say I have the game unfinished because I had started to grow weary of it. While the underlying story was intriguing, many plot points fell on the flat side, the child MC didn't convince me too much and, to be perfectly honest, I was getting really irked by the game throwing boss fights for you to win which transition into the boss being unfazed and the party getting destroyed. Once or twice? Alright. But most boss fights (at least in the first chapters)? C'on, man...

Completely agree on the dub, though. Nia's left me with a "wait what, is this an old lady dubbing her?", but it grew on me rather quickly.

To make an actual question, though. Do these things change, or it is just my personal tastes/feelings? Cuz I did enjoy the game quite a lot (even the insane and random one-shot kills while in the field), but can't stand "I'll save you/the world with the power of friendship! --- Oh no, there is no hope, we are dooooomed!" heart of gold children MC.

Spoiler

I'm also somewhat suspicious of the aparent "romantic" (or perhaps interest would fit it better) sub-plot of MC, a literal child, and Pyra.

Edited by Jun Inoue

23 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I can vouch AGAINST the accursed FF XV. Right now, you'll need to pay a shit ton of cash for the base game + all the DLCs that fix, patch and add. Gotta wait for 2020 for the release of some "definitive edition" that's not half a game. Disgaea 5 is alrighty, but the only Disgaea on PS4, I think, so what can one do.

Bloodborne is an absolute must have, must play.

The PC release does that, btw, it has all the FF XV content. 

I'm in the middle of my penultimate exam week of high school. Feels good to be almost done with this shit.

Whenever I have the time, I've been playing Dark Souls III to take my mind off of things (not that I'm a particularly hard worker but still). I'm up to the Cathedral of the Deep, which I'll save for a more opportune time due to the things I hear about just how great it is (apparently it's one of the greatest levels in the entire franchise). Might try to knock out the Catacombs of Carthus, though- I've found Wolnir and more importantly I've found the Smouldering Lake (I knew of the ladder I needed to descend, beforehand). The gameplay is a bit fun but the lack of rallying from Bloodborne does make itself sorely known especially for the first 5-6 hours. It clicks afterwards, but due to the sheer size of the levels it feels like most levels do not really imprint their design upon me. Dark Souls 1, ironically, is the greatest in the franchise (sans DeS perhaps, which I've not played) in this regard despite its relatively small levels: No warping from the get go, using bonfires for most things, merchants/smiths scattered around the world really provoked you to traverse some places many times (Andre's dwelling, the Firelink aqueduct, just about every corner of the Asylum and the Burg) and they imprinted themselves upon your memory in a way that isn't really true for most of the other areas in these games. Also, DS3's pale-ass color palette kind of sucks. DSII SotFS was bad enough already, but everything DSIII had in the High Wall/Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep felt really rather lackluster and kind of boring.

Edited by Funyarinpa

9 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Up to now, I guess. Last I read, SE already has content planned for up to 2019. God knows when the game will be "complete".

Frankly, the game can now be considered "complete" the content that is planned next can be considered as "normal" DLC if it was another game. 

On 3/25/2018 at 9:49 AM, Jun Inoue said:

Is that really so? Must say I have the game unfinished because I had started to grow weary of it. While the underlying story was intriguing, many plot points fell on the flat side, the child MC didn't convince me too much and, to be perfectly honest, I was getting really irked by the game throwing boss fights for you to win which transition into the boss being unfazed and the party getting destroyed. Once or twice? Alright. But most boss fights (at least in the first chapters)? C'on, man...

Completely agree on the dub, though. Nia's left me with a "wait what, is this an old lady dubbing her?", but it grew on me rather quickly.

To make an actual question, though. Do these things change, or it is just my personal tastes/feelings? Cuz I did enjoy the game quite a lot (even the insane and random one-shot kills while in the field), but can't stand "I'll save you/the world with the power of friendship! --- Oh no, there is no hope, we are dooooomed!" heart of gold children MC.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm also somewhat suspicious of the aparent "romantic" (or perhaps interest would fit it better) sub-plot of MC, a literal child, and Pyra.

Good point, the whole "win the combat in the game, but lose the fight" thing has grated on me at times too, and it does keep happening periodically on throughout the game, at least as far as I am (which is pretty darn far at this point). I'm curious how far you got now, but regardless, that one isn't going away.

The random one-shots out on the field basically go away, pretty quickly. That's at its worst in the first zone, around to a much lesser extent in the second zone, much lesser still in the third, and then it's gone after that, from what I recall.

The protagonist remains pretty one-note, though he gets at least a bit of filling out later on and a bit of shading. But he's definitely the "too pure for this world" type and isn't going to be winning character of the year any time soon. That said, the other characters (I want to say all of the major characters, which is a cast that keeps growing up until pretty late?) get to be a lot more interesting.

I certainly have never felt like putting it down, so it clearly does more for me than it did for you, but even so, I'd say you should play it anyway. Rex is boring, but Pyra, Nia, and Tora are great, and so are the other characters who haven't joined up yet. Heck, even the bad guys are fairly cool once you get to know them better.

Spoiler

The romance feels a little awkward because of the age thing, for sure. I have not much to say to that, except that there have been some events in the fairly late game which make me look positively on the direction the game is going in terms of romantic relationships.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:41 AM, Fred the Barber said:

Good point, the whole "win the combat in the game, but lose the fight" thing has grated on me at times too, and it does keep happening periodically on throughout the game, at least as far as I am (which is pretty darn far at this point). I'm curious how far you got now, but regardless, that one isn't going away.

The random one-shots out on the field basically go away, pretty quickly. That's at its worst in the first zone, around to a much lesser extent in the second zone, much lesser still in the third, and then it's gone after that, from what I recall.

The protagonist remains pretty one-note, though he gets at least a bit of filling out later on and a bit of shading. But he's definitely the "too pure for this world" type and isn't going to be winning character of the year any time soon. That said, the other characters (I want to say all of the major characters, which is a cast that keeps growing up until pretty late?) get to be a lot more interesting.

I certainly have never felt like putting it down, so it clearly does more for me than it did for you, but even so, I'd say you should play it anyway. Rex is boring, but Pyra, Nia, and Tora are great, and so are the other characters who haven't joined up yet. Heck, even the bad guys are fairly cool once you get to know them better.

Reveal hidden contents

The romance feels a little awkward because of the age thing, for sure. I have not much to say to that, except that there have been some events in the fairly late game which make me look positively on the direction the game is going in terms of romantic relationships.

Fair enough. I'll probably pick it up again soon, since those problems weren't so terrible as to make me drop it completely (so I just put it on hold). Wasn't expecting the cast to be bigger, though. Rex, Nia and Tora seemed to be "the trio".

I have to say, though, that I accidentally spoiled myself and found out smth that's a bit of a pet peeve.

Spoiler

It would seem that Pyra actually sacrifices herself at the end of the game? Fatalistic resolutions to a game's climax, with the whole "sacrifice oneself to save the many", has never done it for me.

17 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Fair enough. I'll probably pick it up again soon, since those problems weren't so terrible as to make me drop it completely (so I just put it on hold). Wasn't expecting the cast to be bigger, though. Rex, Nia and Tora seemed to be "the trio".

I have to say, though, that I accidentally spoiled myself and found out smth that's a bit of a pet peeve.

Reveal hidden contents

It would seem that Pyra actually sacrifices herself at the end of the game? Fatalistic resolutions to a game's climax, with the whole "sacrifice oneself to save the many", has never done it for me.

I really should not have clicked that spoiler link.

Can I be late to the party and give a shout-out to Monster Hunter World? Man I'm only just getting started after dealing with Zorah Magdaros.

Got a healthy backlog of stuff too. FFXV, Dragon Inquisition: Game of the Year Edition, and I should probably start looking back to some FighterZ what with the delicious Bardockoli now available as DLC....and on that green note.

I finished NieR Automata (basically played through the latter half of the game in a single sitting) yesterday.

I am disappointed with the latter parts of the game, though the finale is fucking excellent.

Going to finish Ace Attorney 2 and then I'll replay Automata with more realistic expectations.

I have started playing "Tales of Berseria" and it is surprisingly good, I like the characters a whole lot and the 180 that the story is not just about the happy little kingdom and the good heros is pretty interesting. If I were to say one thing I am left wanting it would be choices for dialogue and actions, I guess it is a bit of a double-edged sword though since then the story might not have been as good but eh.

Giving the mobile game The Alchemist Code a try and so far it's decent. Admittedly I'm liking it more for the gameplay (and as a nice nod to FF Tactics, you can throw rocks at your enemies for a very weak long range attack) as the story (I'm currently on chapter 1) while not bad is about as cliche as it gets: you'll be calling literally everything that happens in the opening cut scene.

Edit: I will say one more thing, I found myself really liking the op movie, something about the animation kind of reminds me of the openings for some of the classic PS1 RPGs

Edited by BookwormOtaku

I've been on my spring break this past week, which I primarily used to finish NieR Automata. Route B in one day (one sitting), the rest of the game the day after (again, single sitting).

The first half of the game (plot-wise) is honestly amazing, full of iconic moments and emotional scenes. I'll never forget Ending A.

I found the second half disappointing. HUGE, COMPLETE, GAME-RUINING SPOILERS FOR NIER AUTOMATA FOLLOW

Spoiler

My interest in the storyline pretty much died with 2B.

I don't know why (might be the fact that I was marathoning the game, or that I was playing in daylight, or that I already expected something of the sort to happen), but despite 2B being far and away my favorite character, I felt nothing at her death. Might've been shock.

And the thing is, none of the storyline (I did, like, two sidequests total in Route C, one being the incredible Gathering Keepsakes) gripped me from that point forward. It was already obvious that 9S would go mad with desire for revenge, so his route held nothing of interest to me besides the Operator 21O fight I'd lightly been spoiled on, and Devola and Popola which I'd been significantly spoiled on. Perhaps the entire point was that there was nothing meaningful in his route, though, and I must say that me losing interest in the story with 2B dead really aligns on a meta level with how 9S' purpose in life disappears with 2B gone as well.

I recall very little from A2's route (I kinda know her backstory though). I pretty much bum-rushed A2's storyline, so I never felt that her character developed significantly until she blurts out the "I've never quite realized... how beautiful this world is" line. Pascal's downfall was well done but still didn't elicit any emotion in me, this is a Yoko Taro game, I already expect every good-willed soul to fail and lose everything.

Endings C and D did nothing for me, so I went into Ending E completely tepid and in a "Let's see what this is for" sort of way, expecting to be made to find all weapons. Instead, nope, it's the ending of the game proper. 

And god damn, what an ending it is. 

I'd already been spoiled that this game deletes your save data at the end, so when I lost my first life with helpers and saw "...'s data was lost" I kind of lost my shit.

Loved how it's optional, though. Made it all the more meaningful. An amazing ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Been making some progress on the White March expansion of Pillars of Eternity and it's been pretty good. Sure the White March itself does feel a little too similar to the Icewind Dale from Forgotten Realms (I'm talking about the setting not the video game, which I haven't played...yet) but I have still been having fun with the sidequests. The quest involving the town bum getting himself poisoned (with my help :makina:) was pretty funny

• 3 weeks later...

"*record scratch* *freeze frame*
Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation."

This game, though. Man, this game. Fire, poison, water, some mist and even ice. And it's raining. Me and a friend vs 2 cooks, a waitress, 2 drunk patrons, a dwarven bard, a mysterious traveler and a tinkerer. Not sure how we got here. Things just kept escalating.

fca6fc5cd078b44d330abfbca0f93d1c.jpg

Edited by Jun Inoue

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

"*record scratch* *freeze frame*
Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation."

This game, though. Man, this game. Fire, poison, water, some mist and even ice. Me and a friend vs 2 cooks, a waitress, 2 drunk patrons, a dwarven bard, a mysterious traveler and a tinkerer. Not sure how we got here. Things just kept escalating.

fca6fc5cd078b44d330abfbca0f93d1c.jpg

Hoh.. yeah this brings me back, this happened a lot during my playthrough of Divinity too, almost half the time spent in a sitting could be spent just stuck on a single boss or an area with a screen that looked like an absolute mess (partly to blame me using MVP summons). When I got towards the end of the game I was pretty much so scared of seeing the final boss and having to spend hours on that final boss to beat it that I didn't play and yeah I still haven't beaten it, kind of sad but ended up dropping the game :/.

Edited by Weiterfechten

37 minutes ago, Weiterfechten said:

Hoh.. yeah this brings me back, this happened a lot during my playthrough of Divinity too, almost half the time spent in a sitting could be spent just stuck on a single boss or an area with a screen that looked like an absolute mess (partly to blame me using MVP summons). When I got towards the end of the game I was pretty much so scared of seeing the final boss and having to spend hours on that final boss to beat it that I didn't play and yeah I still haven't beaten it, kind of sad but ended up dropping the game :/.

Dang, that's a really weird way to drop the game. I'm currently playing with a friend through the multiplayer campaign of Divinity 2, which helps make things more entertaining (although the game itself already is great, lore-wise). Rather, I'd say playing with people substracts a bit from the serious plot but adds some more dumb fun.

Like, this tavern fight shouldn't even have happened. We were joking around and I accidentally shot a fire laser across the room, killing 2 civilians.

Don't be surprised if you don't see me around much as I'm currently playing The Witcher 3.

Long overdue I know, but now that my MMO obsession is starting to die down, I finally have enough time to enjoy this properly. It's been an absolutely wonderful game and a much-needed breath of fresh air after so many grinding sessions in various MMOs. The setting and storyline are both fantastic, and I'm seeing a huge improvement in terms of combat between this and the first game. Also, I am so thoroughly invested in the open-world implementation that I'm actually willing to explore every marker on the map before moving on with the main quest (except for when I need to level up, that is).

But yeah, seriously, this is definitely the right game for me to pick up after quitting MMOs. I feel completely revitalized after a long, grueling period of Skinner Box bull crap.

I'm sort of juggling Dark Souls 3 (got to the final area and have Nameless King & DLC left, but I'm burned out), Hollow Knight (was underwhelmed the last time I played it but it's more absorbing this time around, different expectations I guess), and my NieR Automata replay hanging over me. 

Not to mention that Steins;Gate 0 is coming to Steam tomorrow (or any minute now), which I'll get to after a few exams this and next week, and on the 17th launches the LONG-awaited Fata Morgana fandisk, which I'll have to nab.

Probably gonna be switching between HK and S;G0 once exams are over, because I spent something above 250 hours on Souls games in the last year, and I'm getting really burned out while I'm hitting apparently some of the toughest bosses in Fromsoft's entire repertoire, I'm close to giving up on DS3 otherwise. Also binged through 2/3 of Automata in a span of 2 days in my first playthrough, and didn't like the latter half as much as I wanted to (which was why I was replaying it in the first place, to see if I'd like it better with tempered expectations)-- I'm currently in Route B which means parts of the game I've seen about FOUR times. It wears thin, even though Automata's first half is probably one of my favorite experiences in gaming ever. So I need to give that some time to cool off, as well.

And did I mention I bought HuniePop today and binged it for 5 hours straight? Because that happened.

And I'm nabbing Prey the very second it gets a 50% discount again, had been counting on an anniversary sale but that didn't happen.

Have been playing Call of Duty Ghosts for the past two weeks. Prestiged in multiplayer but haven't started the campaign yet. Don't understand all the critisism of the game when it first launched, some of the maps are a bit too big for CoD though...

Playing Lords of the Fallen myself, it feels like the bastard child of Dark Souls and Diablo nobody asked for, but its been, fun playing as tank/warrior, for this class its quite a nice game, anything else feels clunky... 

And i'm also playing Sonic AllStars Racing Transformed for some light hearted fun.