What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

49 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Persona 5, mate. How can you even forget that with your avatar!?!?!?!?

Because I'm trying to forget that I hate playing (or doing anything really) in the living room and that I'd have to find a PS3 or PS4 to play Persona 5, in the shitty living room TV (has parts where the screen has a black hue) at that.

A PC version, although it'll always be a mere dream, would absolutely kill me.

1 hour ago, Funyarinpa said:

Because I'm trying to forget that I hate playing (or doing anything really) in the living room and that I'd have to find a PS3 or PS4 to play Persona 5, in the shitty living room TV (has parts where the screen has a black hue) at that.

A PC version, although it'll always be a mere dream, would absolutely kill me.

Considering that they've said they won't even port it to the Vita cuz "it has several characteristics that are impossible to adapt" (BULLSHIT AND YOU KNOW IT, ATLUS), it's even more unlikely than ever.

50 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Considering that they've said they won't even port it to the Vita cuz "it has several characteristics that are impossible to adapt" (BULLSHIT AND YOU KNOW IT, ATLUS), it's even more unlikely than ever.

Nah, P5 not fitting on the Vita is perfectly understandable. That's for the better actually, it means Atlus has a broader scope.

Unless there's an exclusivity deal going on, however, Atlus just refuses my money by not releasing it on PC. D:

15 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Nah, P5 not fitting on the Vita is perfectly understandable. That's for the better actually, it means Atlus has a broader scope.

Unless there's an exclusivity deal going on, however, Atlus just refuses my money by not releasing it on PC. D:

Atlus is owned by Sega, Sega has a good PC campaign actually, all their games made big money on PC.

Actually, Sega is well regarded by PC community, and most of their money actually come from mobile and PC gaming (that Total war series is very popular you know)

Not only that, but even their weeb games, like valkyria chronicles, sold very well.

want to get into SAO: Hollow Fragment, but I just can't. The game overloads you with all of the mechanics right off the bat and so you're a level 100 Kirito with all these skills but you'll still get killed 'cos you don't know how to cure Blindness and so all of your 10k attacks do Misses and then you run into a level 150 mob that one shots you

TL is really spotty indeed, Main conversations is understandable but field dialogue it's about between machine translated gibberish and barely readable dogshit.

Date-sim mechanics are some tacked on BS, you can "Chat" with characters (where they'll basically pop up a random text bubble and you hit the R button and BOOM you successfully chatted!) and they'll become more intimate with Kirito so you can then hold hands and whatnot. I'ma make my Kirito a four timing cheatin' dimwit.

Spoiler

OPfNWaA.jpg (960×544)
Look how convoluted this shit is

RNUQxdN.jpg (960×544)
<3

~~
Then we get to SAO: Lost Song, and boy oh boy, did they improve their production values.

Graphics became 2x better, character models look like they're from the Vita instead of PSP this time, and environments are more glorious.

TL is passable to satisfactory

AND YOU CAN FLYYY!@$%# Yes, Flying is all that matters. 

They'll give you a legit Tutorial this time explaining all the combat things you can do instead of expecting you to be a level 100 seasoned warlord. Combat also becomes more hack n' slash rather than timing-hack n' strategy

Spoiler

YqpSJCc.jpg (960×544)
FLY

l3vSDIA.jpg (960×544)
FLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

cFRLHFI.jpg (960×544)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Trying out FFXIV again played it last back in 2014). Game looks amazing. I made an effort to look for the small details in the world and I was met by many, which put a smile on my face. Especially those little Easter eggs. Gameplay so far is what you would expect from an MMO. Traditional tab-targeting, global cool downs (<--- I'm a fan of this). Soundtrack is on the level of any other Final Fantasy in my recent memory and it help goes to show how much the devs care for the product. Unfortunately, MMO's can loose me very quickly (just like most everything else :vinty:) so we will see how far I go. 

On another note I bought Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition to play with my comrades today. Made a Half-Elf Kensai with some pretty baller stats imo.

@Rooke I now can confidently say I know where you got your old profile picture from :sachi:

---

Oh, I Also beat Gunvolt for the 3DS today. Bought it two (?) weeks back and stalled at the last boss, gave it another go and was able to get past him. The game ended pretty well into the crossover for Gunvolt 2 which comes out soon IIRC.

Edited by LiquidShu

I've only played Soul Blazer, which is indeed pretty amazing, and part of Illusion of Gaia, which was fascinating but not what I was looking for at the time. I haven't done much nostalgia gaming in a while because I have too much non-nostalgia gaming to do, but there is some constant nagging feeling that I'm missing part of my life as a result. I recently happened across Screw Attack live streaming EarthBound, which was quite a trip down memory lane. And I do mean a trip - I watched them first go through Moonside, and then the monkey cave where you have to trade presents to all the monkeys. What a beautifully bizarre game.

I will give Shin Megami Tensei 4 a little break and play The Swapper instead, I really like it so far. The atmosphere is great and the puzzle gimmick, the Swapper, is almost Portal tier (but they fail to build more game mechanics on it beyond a 2D version of excursion funnels from Portal 2 and some things that prevent you from placing clones, transferring your consciousness to clones or both). Amazing atmosphere. 

I've been playing Trails in the Sky SC a lot during the past week. Currently on Chapter 4, making sure to do all the side quests as well. I'm finding some of the optional side bosses to be quite challenging in comparison to the first game. This series still has the best translation and dialogue of any jrpg game series I've ever played. 

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I've only played Soul Blazer, which is indeed pretty amazing, and part of Illusion of Gaia, which was fascinating but not what I was looking for at the time. I haven't done much nostalgia gaming in a while because I have too much non-nostalgia gaming to do, but there is some constant nagging feeling that I'm missing part of my life as a result. I recently happened across Screw Attack live streaming EarthBound, which was quite a trip down memory lane. And I do mean a trip - I watched them first go through Moonside, and then the monkey cave where you have to trade presents to all the monkeys. What a beautifully bizarre game.

I'm not a huge fan of Illusions of Gaia. I'd definitely recommend trying out Actraiser and Terranigma though. Both of those are (in my opinion) much more engaging and interesting than IoG.

4 hours ago, Thunderbro said:

I've been playing Trails in the Sky SC a lot during the past week. Currently on Chapter 4, making sure to do all the side quests as well. I'm finding some of the optional side bosses to be quite challenging in comparison to the first game. This series still has the best translation and dialogue of any jrpg game series I've ever played. 

Some quests only appear if you speak to certain NPCs, so be mindful of that, if you are going for the Trails-style super completion playthrough!

I take back all the gameplay mechanic complaints about SAO: Hollow Fragment, updated my game to latest patch and now mobs 30 levels under you actually die in one combo like they're supposed to and overall battles are a lot more fluid

Or it could just be me finally getting the hang of it

Between a variety of external influences (most notably a girl I'm interested in talking about it passionately, but also @Tiagofvarela's OpenXcom playthrough thread), I decided I should try out XCOM 2.

That decision was made yesterday morning. Steam says I've played 14 hours so far. :wahaha:

It's very hard to put down.

I'm playing it on the lowest difficulty setting right now, because when I started I had absolutely no clue how any of the mechanics worked. I'm absolutely not reloading any saves, though; I live with my mistakes. And I've made dozens of mistakes in the time/resource management game alone; countless more in the main tactical gameplay. I am, thanks to the low difficulty level, still getting along fine (I think). I've lost a number of soldiers, of course, but only a couple missions ago I lost the very first soldier I picked up from the tutorial mission; my only Major, a Ranger, got wrecked in a single round on the first occasion I ran into those acid-spitting aliens. Naturally, those guys have been complete pushovers every time I've seen them since (though that my be in part because I focus-fire them so heavily...). Ugh. But it's fine. I've been rotating soldiers a fair bit of course (injuries don't give you much choice anyway), so although I wouldn't say I have a deep bench, it should be sufficient to get the job done. That said, I guess we'll find out if that's true, since the mission I just started and saved on, before I decided it was time to call it a night, will be my first mission labeled "Very Difficult" :kosame:

At any rate, I'm thinking I'll finish up the playthrough on this difficulty to learn as much possible and then start right up with another one, one or two notches higher (definitely not crazy enough to go to the top difficulty level immediately).

SAO: HF is an aight game.

Minus the supbar TL, plays like a singleplayer MMO where you can grind and quest to your heart's content and then have a pretty decent boss raid at the end of each Floor. There's also plenty of scenes and events between the characters. A good time soaker for b/w classes.

I naturally made my Kirito have the highest relationship points with Asuna, but by the Law of Harem he'll still chick magnet errbody wherever he goes :makina:

Spoiler

ePs2HKY.jpg (960×544)
8 minutes to clear boss wtf

V228J1y.jpg (960×544)
He finally did it bois

dfsa10D.jpg (960×544)
Who the FK is Sinno or w.e this broad's name?? From S2 anime or something?!

tuxtmf0.jpg (960×544)
Just realized Liz has pink hair... yet I'm not really fond of her. This defies the laws of physics.

CIDZaWc.jpg (960×544)
How Romantic. Btw, this is like, the ONLY chat segment that makes sense. Everything else is gibbernglish.

QWH5Phx.jpg (960×544)
Should rename the game to Sword Art: HAREM

7 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

SAO: HF is an aight game.

Minus the supbar TL, plays like a singleplayer MMO where you can grind and quest to your heart's content and then have a pretty decent boss raid at the end of each Floor. There's also plenty of scenes and events between the characters. A good time soaker for b/w classes.

I naturally made my Kirito have the highest relationship points with Asuna, but by the Law of Harem he'll still chick magnet errbody wherever he goes :makina:

Reveal hidden contents

ePs2HKY.jpg (960×544)
8 minutes to clear boss wtf

V228J1y.jpg (960×544)
He finally did it bois

dfsa10D.jpg (960×544)
Who the FK is Sinno or w.e this broad's name?? From S2 anime or something?!

tuxtmf0.jpg (960×544)
Just realized Liz has pink hair... yet I'm not really fond of her. This defies the laws of physics.

CIDZaWc.jpg (960×544)
How Romantic. Btw, this is like, the ONLY chat segment that makes sense. Everything else is gibbernglish.

QWH5Phx.jpg (960×544)
Should rename the game to Sword Art: HAREM

You should try the Hollow Area. I got bored of Aincrad after 5 or so floors, but I really liked the adventure through Hollow Area. Not only is the new girl, Philia, more interesting than the others and there's almost a proper story, but Hollow Area is also less linear, the areas are more varied and interesting, it doesn't have as much boring filler quests and it's actually pleasantly challenging. You can't just go spamming skills on bosses and mini-bosses, you actually have strategize a little, which makes the combat way more interesting.

I don't know if it gets any better on higher floors of Aincrad, but for me Hollow Area was the most worthwhile part of the game.