What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

Actually still have my PS2 and a PS1 memory card, I just don't want to get scalped in order to get my hands on copies of the discs I want.  I'd have to burn the .ISOs onto discs in order to afford it  :/

EDIT: Don't have a modded PS2, so that's out.  Guess I'm just gonna have to emulate.

So yeah... Witcher 3 is pretty easily the best open world RPG ever made. It makes Skyrim look some low-effort indie game in comparison and DA:I literal burning garbage. Every time I play, I get impressed by how incredibly good it is at almost everything. The interface is a bit clunky, which is a shame. Movement can be wonky when you're trying to interact with stuff. But combat is fun, more so than any Bethesda or Bioware title. The side quests are all of very high quality with a ton of unique characters. Every quest feels different, there are no generic fetch quests, and the ones that come closest are camouflaged excellently behind some strong storytelling. I like the tracking stuff you have to often do, it feels like a better version of Batman's detective vision gameplay. And the main storyline is VERY good. I don't think there is such a story-dense open world RPG in existence. The Witcher 3 takes a top-of-its-class standard plot-heavy RPG and melds it perfectly into an open world, with all of the open world gameplay executed near perfectly. It is quite literally the best of both worlds, and I don't think we'll see anything like it until CD Projekt releases their next game. I really hope this encourages Bethesda and Bioware to step up their game.

So as you can guess it's what I've been playing for the last week. I also managed to sneak in a few Hearthstone arena runs. Ain't played any VNs in a while. 

Well, I'm sold. I'll need to wait a week for my next check to come in though.

Also, how much enjoyment would I be losing if I were to go straight to The Witcher 3? Even if this is supposedly a standalone storyline, I've read online that the previous games add more to the experience. I would like give this game a go first and play the other two later, but not if it's far from ideal.

Ehhh...I wouldn't.  You can chose the events of the previous games, I've heard, similar to the Mass Effect digital comic, but it's just not the same.  The original Witcher is...unique.  You might hate it or you might love it.  Watch a video of the gameplay before you think about buying it, though.  Be warned: the combat, in it's entirety, it clicking the LMB when the game prompts you to via a symbol, and occasionally holding down the RMB for magic.  It's a story-focused game; if you're looking for good gameplay, look elsewhere, to TW2 or TW3.  Kinda similar to ME1, actually.  The combat in that game was pretty boring, too.

Also, how much enjoyment would I be losing if I were to go straight to The Witcher 3? Even if this is supposedly a standalone storyline, I've read online that the previous games add more to the experience. I would like give this game a go first and play the other two later, but not if it's far from ideal.

As someone who went 1 -> 2 -> 3, I can't say for sure, but I think you'll be fine. You're not wrong that you'll get more out of the game if you've read any of the books or played the other two games, as the game has plenty of recurring characters and references to them. Additionally, the love triangle between Geralt and the Sorceresses' in his life takes on more meaning if you're familiar with Geralt's past with Yennefer or experienced the story of The Witcher 1 & 2 alongside Triss. The main story in The Witcher 3 is a more personal tale than the story in the first two games, so it'll help if you brush up on some of the characters and events through some internet resources first, but I think you'll still enjoy it stand-alone, albeit less so than if you played the other games.

You'll lose out on some incidental backstory, and they may expect you to know some of the characters such as Triss, but I feel like in the character bios and dialog they give you enough of a clue about who they are and what they're about. There are other characters and events that don't really make sense to anyone at first except those who have read the books. Such as Ciri, Yennefer, and the Wild Hunt, but although CD Projekt thrusts you into the world with little introduction, they do a good job of letting you know about these characters and their complex pre-existing relations as you play. 

I'm becoming an emulator fanatic.  I just downloaded and set up ePSXe (PS1 emulator) and am currently downloading Silent Hill, and also planning to download classics like Final Fantasy Tactics, Spyro the Dragon and Ripto's Rage, a few Crash games and a few other non-Tactics Final Fantasy games.  Any other suggestions?  I missed a lot of PS1 games since I was born a little late, so any suggestions would be appreciated ^_^

I'm also taking a break from the original Witcher.  Kinda starting to get burnt out :vinty:  Won't be too long, though, since I really wanna take a crack at the sequel.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night. That one's truly a classic if you have yet to try it :D

There's also Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IX and perhaps Metal Gear 1 (The best one in my opinion).

If you already played all of them, then I guess I can't think of any other since they're pretty  much all the games I've played on an Emu (never owned a Ps1 '  ^ '; )

Well, I'm sold. I'll need to wait a week for my next check to come in though.

There is so much recurring characters that it might feel weird at the times, but other than that you don't have to know the story of the previous ones. They are not linked that much. Though the choices you made in the previous games affects how the world state is in the beginning of the game, who lives and so on, so you are missing something on that front. 

Only thing that bugs me in Witcher 3 is that the alchemy system and skill trees are dumbed down from Witcher 2. Skill trees are mostly boring %-based buffs and you can down potions like in witcher 1, I miss the preparation aspect of the second game.

I'm also utterly disappointed on their portrayal of saunas.  :P

- Why would there be two huge open doorways in the sauna, all the heat will escape.

- True Nordlings go to sauna naked, not wearing underwear.

If you play Final Fantasy Tactics, then you actually have a lot of options available to you. There are at least two major fan patches that rebalance the game and perform bugfixes for the PS1 version, and there is also a patch that applies fixes to the slowdown in the PSP version (at least, I recall there being such a patch, I could be wrong). My suggestion is to download PPSSPP and play the patched PSP version.

edit: I knew it existed! Play it on a PSP emulator using this patch: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9208.msg191230#msg191230

I'm becoming an emulator fanatic.  I just downloaded and set up ePSXe (PS1 emulator) and am currently downloading Silent Hill, and also planning to download classics like Final Fantasy Tactics, Spyro the Dragon and Ripto's Rage, a few Crash games and a few other non-Tactics Final Fantasy games.  Any other suggestions?  I missed a lot of PS1 games since I was born a little late, so any suggestions would be appreciated ^_^

I'm also taking a break from the original Witcher.  Kinda starting to get burnt out :vinty:  Won't be too long, though, since I really wanna take a crack at the sequel.

Xenogears, WIld Arms, MGS, and Dino Crisis. 

Played a bunch of Gemcraft on steam this past week. I played the browser version several years ago, and while it wasn't long enough ago that I'd call it nostalgia, I had a ton of fun. Probably the best TD game I've played (although apparently Defense Grid has a really good story).

MGS1 is definitely a very dated game. If you play any version of that, it should probably be Twin Snakes, although apparently that doesn't emulate very well.

Seriously what the fuck is so good about MGS

It may be one of those games that you had to have been there for. It was absolutely revolutionary at the time, bringing gameplay and storytelling experiences that simply did not exist until then. The next MGS games actually turned into fun games to play. I think MGS3 still holds up and is a phenomenal experience. 

On the topic of PS1 games: Over in the game music thread, Clephas just brought up the Suikoden series, which is definitely worth looking at. I can only vouch for the original Suikoden, which was quite good, but Suikoden 2 is legendary.

I'm still playing Theatrhythm and a bit of Destiny, but now that I've been reminded of its existence, I'm actually probably going to start playing Suikoden 2 as my next portable game on the Vita...

If you play Final Fantasy Tactics, then you actually have a lot of options available to you. There are at least two major fan patches that rebalance the game and perform bugfixes for the PS1 version, and there is also a patch that applies fixes to the slowdown in the PSP version (at least, I recall there being such a patch, I could be wrong). My suggestion is to download PPSSPP and play the patched PSP version.

edit: I knew it existed! Play it on a PSP emulator using this patch: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9208.msg191230#msg191230

I just downloaded the standard version...didn't really know much about the other patched versions.  Is the only difference between the PS1 and PSP versions better graphics, or does it have exclusive content?

Castlevania Symphony of the Night. That one's truly a classic if you have yet to try it :D

There's also Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IX and perhaps Metal Gear 1 (The best one in my opinion).

If you already played all of them, then I guess I can't think of any other since they're pretty  much all the games I've played on an Emu (never owned a Ps1 '  ^ '; )

I was actually gonna download SoN, I just forgot to mention it  :P

Also gonna get Chrono Trigger.  Heard that Chrono Cross doesn't run too well on ePSXe, though, so I'll have to see if that's true.  It'd be a bummer  :/  I'll check out FF9 and Metal Gear as well.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Used to have a PS1, but it just...died.  Same with the controllers, actually.  Just completely stopped working.  I got it used for about $20 (with the controllers to boot), so I just gave up and started saving for a PS2 Slim Silver.  That still works, though; my sister is playing Spyro: Year of the Dragon on it right now.

Xenogears, WIld Arms, MGS, and Dino Crisis. 

To Emuparadise I go  :D

Looking into buying a GBA SP from Ebay again, I want a blue one (though the more jacked up the better since I will just get myself a gold shell - probably brick the GBA during the process- and then a flashcart)

edit: Playing Super Metroid,

I fucking despise Maridia. Too many swamps, ugh.

Skyrim update. I am happy to announce that I have not caved into my urges to stop playing Skyrim and playing Fallout. I have just hitched a ride on a dragon. Now I'm just trying to survive a hoard of dragons and a bunch of dead guy.

Wish you were here in the land of Skyrim.