What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

I see, thank you guys. I was kind of reluctant to play it, as I'm not that attracted to play as a female character for the entire game, but if you can play as other characters I might give it a try. Seeing the new FF's summon got me fired up :(

Three male chars, 3 female chars.

Everyone is happy like that.

I see, thank you guys. I was kind of reluctant to play it, as I'm not that attracted to play as a female character for the entire game, but if you can play as other characters I might give it a try. Seeing the new FF's summon got me fired up :(

Enjoy "press x with systematic timing to win". 

The three games are completely different in pretty much every imaginable way.

- The first game, Final Fantasy XIII, is ludicrously linear for the first 95% of the game (and even after it opens up side quests, they kinda suck), and that pisses off most people. Also, the combat is weird - definitely not standard JRPG combat, but in a way that somehow manages to be more annoying and less engaging, rather than more fun, responsive, and engaging, which I suspect is what they were going for. Fascinating mythology/world, and very pretty graphics, but overall a disappointing game.

- The second game, Final Fantasy XIII-2, is ludicrously non-linear. They were clearly over-compensating for the negative reaction to the first one. I got really confused about where I was supposed to go and what I was supposed to do pretty frequently. I did eventually get through it, and the ending is pretty horrifying. So they pissed people off yet again, mostly because of that ending.

- The third game, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, is amazing. I cannot stress this enough. It's totally your payoff for slogging through the other two, though if you're thinking about playing this series, maybe you should just watch the super-cool 16-bit movie summary of the first two games and then play this one. The Lightning Returns combat is best described as stellar. Also phenomenal. Perhaps mind-blowing. It is fast, it is natural, and over the course of the game you will get better at it, and you will know that you are good at it, and you will be rewarded by the game for being good. The story... isn't as good as the combat. But then, few things in this world are. Play the game anyway. It is so good.

I've been playing a lot of The Talos Principle lately. I'm seriously really impressed. The puzzle gameplay is addicting and it's challenging if you want to 100% it. It's really fun to explore all of the levels in order to find the hidden stuff. And the story is greatly intriguing and heavily philosophical. It will make you ponder the nature of humanity and what makes a person, the role of god and religion in the world, and the impact technology will have on our lives in the future, all without being pretentious about it and without preaching. Japanese video games go super overboard on the preaching and pretension whenever they attempt to get philosophical. This is a much more sane and intriguing way to broach the subject matter, in my opinion, it handles it surprisingly well. I guess a comparison is that most Japanese video games feel like adolescent chuuni-fueled rants while The Talos Principle feels like a mature treatise on philosophy. But the bulk of the experience is the gameplay. The other plus is that despite being what seems to be a simple puzzle game, it's huge with a crapload of content. It may take you 20-30 hours to 100% depending on how good you are at puzzle solving. Portal 2 was what, 4 hours for the single player? 

8 days in so far, and I have still not lost interest in Crusaders Quest, which is actually kinda surprising. o.o I might begin to have some faith in f2p mobile gaming apps now. :D There's been numerous RPGs I've downloaded on this platform in the past, but the interfaces on all of them have been slop, the gameplay is usually too repetitive and boring, and they put so much effort to force you to buy stuff. CQ is almost a polar opposite. It uses a combat system that's ideal for the platform it's on, there's a variance on how you can structure your team for battle, and though this game still has a hefty incentive to buy stuff, it's not all that painful to play without paying. It's even possible to go the completist route without having to pay a dime. The developers also like to throw out freebies once in a while. They can get seriously generous with their freebies too. :o

This game can get pretty challenging at times. The further in you go with questing, the more challenging it becomes and you will be required to grind levels for a bit in order to advance. Now it is fairly skill-based, so you can still advance further if you have a solid grasp on team composition and can make judgment calls on the fly. There's an element of randomness to the combat, but you can still make good use of your abilities if you use a little bit of logic and maintain attentiveness.

And if any of you guys do decide to get into the game, my user name's Ahlor. I have a level 50 5-star character that can help you out on tough quests if you ever need it. The game places a 1-day cool-down though, so use wisely. This site is also pretty helpful to beginners. http://www.crusadersquestlog.com/Do keep in mind that you'll have to be a little patient with the game since it can get really buggy, but it's been steadily getting better since I first started. And I would strongly encourage you to sync your account with google+ or facebook to avoid potential account loss.

Just beat Hotline Miami 2.  Dat ending...there's definitely not going to be a sequel  xD

The Fans are most definitely the best characters, followed the The Son.  I liked playing as Tony and Corey the most.  The stuff I pulled off with Corey was amazing.  Dem rolls 2 gud, brah.

After getting Platinum for Demon's Souls I started Dark Souls 2. But I guess I'll ditch that as soon as my preordererd copy of Bloodborne arrives...  :kosame:

Haven't ordered Bloodborne due to the framerate issues that have been reported in the gameplay tests... will wait for that to be fixed.

Anyway, DS2 is still worth going for and clearing (alongside with it's DLC) ;)