Jump to content

New guy interested in translating


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Senpai Ken said:

I've also thought about starting out with a small project, but I would assume that makes me the project leader and I have 0 experience with that.

...What makes you think a project leader needs experience? :wahaha:

3 hours ago, Senpai Ken said:

I don't know what I'd need to do as group leader and do I just need a tech guy and an editor as nandemonai said (for a small project that is)?

Many projects can be done solo too. The tech stuff can be either easy or hard to sort out depending on what project you have in mind. Some VNs already have tools for them that you can use. For others, it's about finding someone who can help you out with that. As for the editors... there are plenty of them who would do it for you (albeit you should expect amateurs here for the most part).

Edited by Infernoplex
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Senpai Ken said:

I've also thought about starting out with a small project, but I would assume that makes me the project leader and I have 0 experience with that. I don't know what I'd need to do as group leader and do I just need a tech guy and an editor as nandemonai said (for a small project that is)?

Maybe not immediately but if you are interested sometime down the line I have been considering reviving one of my old projects. It’s called Holy Breaker, it was a Comiket release VN, and it’s only about 10 hours long. One of the writers worked on some Key VNs, wrote one of the routes for Little Busters I believe. I would be willing to organize the group, ie handle recruiting other members, create a website, provide updates to the community as that is something I have done before. And when the time comes I can do some editing work as well. I may be able to find the text files somewhere, I think I had them already extracted. I would have to find someone to create a patch though and that might be difficult because of the engine the game runs on but we would have plenty of time to worry about re-insertion later

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 4:32 PM, Senpai Ken said:

Really? How did it turn out? For you and the others

Zaka's right, it's actually depends more on your grammar level, however reading and encountering grammar in actual works is how you internalize them and understand what type of tone different language is used for (angry/sad/uncertain/being sarcastic/etc.) My first VN TL project was when I had read about 1 full VN and knew up to N3, it was OKAY for slice of life, but I also am very analytical about grammar and spent a lot of time thinking about the translations. Anything less than knowing N3 and it's a waste of time -- you're going to make mistakes everywhere.

To make it clear, learning translation and learning Japanese are two different things. If you translate, you will probably get better at translating. But in general, translating is a very inefficient way of learning Japanese. Instead of translating a work, then studying 6-12 months of Japanese, you could just study the Japanese first, translate the work, which would produce a much better translation for equal or less work.

Btw, the most important thing for understanding (which applies to both reading and translating) is grammar. Get the notes for N2 and N1 and study them, then read a bunch of VN's and recognize or look them up again when you spot them.

 

Edited by Chronopolis
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-6-2020 at 5:28 PM, Infernoplex said:

...What makes you think a project leader needs experience? :wahaha:

Many projects can be done solo too. The tech stuff can be either easy or hard to sort out depending on what project you have in mind. Some VNs already have tools for them that you can use. For others, it's about finding someone who can help you out with that. As for the editors... there are plenty of them who would do it for you (albeit you should expect amateurs here for the most part).

Yes I've had someone contact me already :)

Having some trouble hacking right now but hopefully it gets resolved soon

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-6-2020 at 7:30 PM, Heizei_koukousei said:

Maybe not immediately but if you are interested sometime down the line I have been considering reviving one of my old projects. It’s called Holy Breaker, it was a Comiket release VN, and it’s only about 10 hours long. One of the writers worked on some Key VNs, wrote one of the routes for Little Busters I believe. I would be willing to organize the group, ie handle recruiting other members, create a website, provide updates to the community as that is something I have done before. And when the time comes I can do some editing work as well. I may be able to find the text files somewhere, I think I had them already extracted. I would have to find someone to create a patch though and that might be difficult because of the engine the game runs on but we would have plenty of time to worry about re-insertion later

Great! If I'm available whenever you decide to give it another go, I'd love to help out man :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15-6-2020 at 5:35 AM, Chronopolis said:

Zaka's right, it's actually depends more on your grammar level, however reading and encountering grammar in actual works is how you internalize them and understand what type of tone different language is used for (angry/sad/uncertain/being sarcastic/etc.) My first VN TL project was when I had read about 1 full VN and knew up to N3, it was OKAY for slice of life, but I also am very analytical about grammar and spent a lot of time thinking about the translations. Anything less than knowing N3 and it's a waste of time -- you're going to make mistakes everywhere.

To make it clear, learning translation and learning Japanese are two different things. If you translate, you will probably get better at translating. But in general, translating is a very inefficient way of learning Japanese. Instead of translating a work, then studying 6-12 months of Japanese, you could just study the Japanese first, translate the work, which would produce a much better translation for equal or less work.

Btw, the most important thing for understanding (which applies to both reading and translating) is grammar. Get the notes for N2 and N1 and study them, then read a bunch of VN's and recognize or look them up again when you spot them.

 

I'm also around N3 level right now. I'm also studying Japanese on the side and doing this to able to improve my translating skills :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...