Non Otaku Interests/Hobbies

What are you interested in outside of Japanese culture? Even outside of video games or TV? And what did you used to enjoy but don’t really anymore?

Fore me I’m always playing around with something new, spent some time in the past gardening but now don’t really have a care for it. Then moved on collecting bolt action WWII rifles, which has been difficult as I am by no means wealthy, over time I’ve collected examples of most of the rifles used by the major forces in WWII.  I’ve actually noticed a lot of people interested in otaku stuff are also interested in military surplus firearms and history. More recently I’ve been getting into wine, though it’s partially due to my job requiring me to have that kind of knowledge. Learning about various varieties around the world and pairing with food is extremely difficult, but enjoyable. Never would have imagined I would enjoy wine as an adult but now I drink it relatively often.

I'm a fan of classic old stuffs : classic music, classic movie ... That means if I have free time, I usually listen to some old music from 19th century (pop music bores me), or choose an interesting title in IMDB top movies and watch it.

2 hours ago, Heizei_koukousei said:

And what did you used to enjoy but don’t really anymore?

prolly some trend-related things, I'm not interested in celebrities, pop music, new popular movies, social media anymore.

I'm a metalhead before I'm an otaku. Music in general I'd say is more important to me than anything otaku-related. Mostly power metal these days but I like a lot of death metal too. I dabble in a lot of other genres to a lesser degree too. I like a lot of 2000's electronic. Some folk and country. Been sporadically exploring Nordic pop lately. I typically shy away from the top 40 type stuff but every once in a while there's a legit banger in the top 40 stuff. Within all of that, a large chunk of what I listen to is Japanese in origin. They write a lot of crazy good power metal over there, and I like a lot of j-pop rock too. However, the amount of stuff that I listen to from the rest of the world far outweighs the Japanese stuff.

Within the last 8 months or so I've been dabbling in 3D modeling a bit. Just recently I decided I want to really push myself to get good at it. If I can get to a good enough level I kinda want to see if I can use it make an original VN using 3D assets. Only what I'm envisioning would actually look nice and appealing and not at all like the patreon-funded nightmare fuel that's been popping up lately.

As for stuff I used to like but don't anymore. Around the time Skrillex had his breakout success I thought Dubstep was gonna be my jam for the rest of my life but my interest interest in Dubstep fizzled out pretty quickly. I think that was true of most everyone that was on the hype train at the time. I think I've distilled my Dubstep taste down to about 5 songs, give or take. I had a similar phase with Vocaloid music actually and I think I'm down to maybe 15-20 vocaloid songs that I actually enjoy.

1 hour ago, tahu157 said:

...I thought Dubstep was gonna be my jam for the rest of my life but my interest interest in Dubstep fizzled out pretty quickly. I think that was true of most everyone that was on the hype train at the time...

This was me with dubstep but also all genres of electric. I was really into house/trance music. Even went to quite a few raves while I was in high school. Especially with dubstep though everyone fangirled over it but it definitely didn’t last

I've been an on again off again ROM hacker since I was 12. Mostly focused on the GBA Fire Emblem games, but recently I sunk a lot of time editing Pokemon Red. It's fun to get to know games you love on an intimate level (like looking at how they are actually coded), and editing them. You can personalize them that way. Unfortunately I only have time to work on hacks when I literally have nothing else going on in my life. During the first part of the shutdown I was working on a pokemon red hack where I replaced pokemon with memes.  

KfZBTut.png

Here is also a short video I did of the rival fight

I study history and politics, read books, admire weapons of various types (I no longer purchase after by 'blades and booms' phase, which resulted in me selling off a bunch of weapons I'd hoarded just because I wanted them), and swim (when I can find a place that is open 24 hours, lol).  

I'm also a semi-casual gamer, though I do have a tendency to drift toward single-player rpgs.

Edit: Oh, and I write stories and settings...

I used to collect music CDs (I own around 300 albums) but kind of stopped after buying new headphones and getting a Tidal subscription including lossless audio files. Other than that I always have some food-related obsessions going on for a while. A few years back, I really was into craft-beer, olive oil, Italian and (authentic) Chinese cooking, at the moment it's cheese and whisk(e)y. I'm also a big football fan, although my favourite club (Schalke 04) is trying its hardest to make my interest fade.

4 hours ago, alpacaman said:

Other than that I always have some food-related obsessions going on for a while. A few years back, I really was into craft-beer, olive oil, Italian and (authentic) Chinese cooking, at the moment it's cheese and whisk(e)y.

I was interested in seeing who had an interest in cooking. Cheese and whiskey you mean as a pairing I’ve always preferred whiskey but not once in my life have I eaten cheese along with it. Makes sense though if you think of wine and cheese pairings

Before I started getting into anime and VNs, I used to really like classical adventure games. Also, there was a time in my life when I was actually (:leecher:) reading (:isla:) non-weeb (:gasp:) books (:reeee:)! I used to like science, but then I chose it as a profession, and now... Let's say, I have more conflicting feelings towards it now. Well, I guess I'm still interested in history. Also, I never had an opportunity to do it much, but I really like traveling! I don't know, for some reason I just love seeing new places, and they don't even have to be very touristy to be interesting to me. Actually, I was really resolved to start traveling a lot more this year, to fight my recent melancholy and disappointment in life, and I actually started to realize that dream, but then covid happened, so, I guess I'll have to wait for another opportunity.

Hmm... There was a time where I could write journal of my personal life on a daily basis, like 5 to 7 journal entries a week. It was kinda great since it help me improve my vocabulary and English writing capabilities. I really had fun describing my thoughts into words via English Language since its not my primary language as I mostly speak broken Spanish Dialect such as Chavacano.  But now I couldn't find the time do it due to busy schedule and all the real life drama... I also used to go hunting and exploring with friends on secluded tropical forest, savannas and rivers armed with only a Air Gun Rifle and a sturdy pocket knife. It was kinda scary but very exciting as well on the same time :wafuu:

I used to have a herbal garden in my hometown and really like gardening! But I abandon them as I moved to the big city...

I like reading/studying world history in general and World Wars or anything that's interesting. I also kinda like to read PaladinPress books which is hard to find and somehow forbidden since their books are mostly about self-defense, assassinations tactics, man-trapping and opposing totalitarian governments.

In addition, I'm a solitary occultist but couldn't find the to practice since it needs absolute privacy and time consuming... 

I also like weapons in generals such as firearms and bladed weapons, however guns are kinda hard to come by here in our place and expensive to consider. So I stick with knives since I  don't need a license in having one and you could order high quality knives online nowadays if you know what you're doing.:mare:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm into math and coding. I guess that doesn't really count as a hobby since is also my job.

I like occasionally learning some new magic trick. Right now I'm trying to learn the coin roll. I swear if I'm ever reborn I'm definitely gonna be a magician.

I guess this also relates to the coding one, but I also like typing and I enjoy playing typing games online, or just typing random stuff for the sake of typing. This whole post is an example of it.

I used to be into martial arts, but it got scary after getting hit on the face seriously for the first time, and I decided it was not worth the risk of getting permanent brain damage.

Biking used to be one of my favorite hobbies as a kid and teenager, but ever since my grandma decided to gift my bike to one of my cousins without my permission, I haven't been able to do it again. I once visited a city where the had bikes all over the place and you could travel like that, the street were designed for it having a special bike lane and everything. I guess it was fun while it lasted.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:45 PM, Dreamysyu said:

Let's say, I have more conflicting feelings towards it now.

I wonder, what made you change your mind about it?

39 minutes ago, Crocs&Trousers said:

I wonder, what made you change your mind about it?

Mostly I just realized that, compared to the popular science, the real science is actually pretty boring. When I'm spending weeks to look for a single small mistake in my own work, or attending another boring and useless seminar, it makes me fell that I hate this whole thing and want to have nothing to do with it anymore. Then, the next day, I learn some interesting fact, and then I'm in love with science again.