How to modify the text color in a game

To specify, I'm working with a kirikiri game that has it's codes stored in tjs files. I found that the text overlay is a bit unfit for reading, so I decided to modify the texture

and change the color of the normal dialogue text accordingly. Only problem is, I can't seem to identify the codes that determine the text color.

In the game all normal dialogue is printed in black, while the dialogue during 'full screen text box' parts are in white; my goal would be to make

the normal dialogue color be printed in white as well.

I'm assuming the font files themselves can't be modified to a specific color (tft files btw), so my current method is to browse through

the script looking for '0x', as 0xffffff or 0x000000 seems like a reasonable bet, but by the looks of it this doesn't seem to be the answer either.

Would greatly appreciate any pointers, the translation work is almost over but this is proving far more challenging than I would have thought.

26 minutes ago, uyjulian said:

Look for "defaultChColor" in "Config.tjs"

If you can't find that, backtrace the 4th argument of Layer.drawText

I can find defaultChColor, defaultShadowColor and defaultEdgeColor set to 0x000000 in Config.tjs. I changed all three to 0xffffff just in case, but the message display doesn't seem to change

once I put the modified scripts into the game. As for Layer.drawText, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

30 minutes ago, Mutank said:

I can find defaultChColor, defaultShadowColor and defaultEdgeColor set to 0x000000 in Config.tjs. I changed all three to 0xffffff just in case, but the message display doesn't seem to change

once I put the modified scripts into the game. As for Layer.drawText, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

You need to restart the game from the beginning, as the current text color is saved in the savefile.

"drawText" is a member of "Layer" class. "Layer" class may be extended by other classes.

Edited by uyjulian

19 minutes ago, uyjulian said:

You need to restart the game from the beginning, as the current text color is saved in the savefile.

"drawText" is a member of "Layer" class. "Layer" class may be extended by other classes.

Tried it again in this order: edited the Config.tjs scripts, recompressed the scripts into a xp3 archive. cleared the savedata folder in the base game,

inserted the new data.xp3 into the game folder and ran the game. As of now the text seems to remain unchanged. 

I'm changing all 0x000000 parameters to 0xffffff just to be safe, and from what I can tell it's applying to the text in system messages but not

the actual dialogue.

30 minutes ago, uyjulian said:

You may want to also change "defaultShadowColor" and "defaultEdgeColor" in "Config.tjs".

Also, check the "color" argument of tag "font" in the KAG script.

the defaultShadowcolor/Edgecolors were changed early on, but again doesn't seem to register when I repack the archives. 

At this point I'm suspecting that the game is running with the previous settings,

I found this written near the defaultChColor scripts: 

// この設定はシステム変数に記録されて、次回起動時に引き継がれるので、
// userFace の設定を変更し、適用したい場合はシステム変数ファイル
// ?????sc.* の "chdefaultFace" => の行を削除してください。

basically it mentions needing to delete a line regarding chdefaultFace to change fonts,

but the location of the said line is unreadable.

1 hour ago, uyjulian said:

You may want to also change "defaultShadowColor" and "defaultEdgeColor" in "Config.tjs".

Also, check the "color" argument of tag "font" in the KAG script.

Okay never mind my last post, I just reinstalled the game from scratch to completely remove any possibility of lingering values.

Without running the game, I modified the Config.tjs parameters from earlier to 0xffffff and recompressed > ran the game.

The text is still in black, which just leaves me confused. I think I may be missing something here, but I can't imagine what.

14 hours ago, Mutank said:

Okay never mind my last post, I just reinstalled the game from scratch to completely remove any possibility of lingering values.

Without running the game, I modified the Config.tjs parameters from earlier to 0xffffff and recompressed > ran the game.

The text is still in black, which just leaves me confused. I think I may be missing something here, but I can't imagine what.

Check the "color" argument of tag "font" in the KAG scenario file.

Edited by uyjulian