Can someone tell me about Suika2 engine in detail?

Spooky Saint

I recently saw that Suika2, which btw is a Japanese visual novel engine, recently released their engine in english. And I was more than happy to try a Japanese VN engine because KiriKiri and others are too complex for me. Suika2's coding format is pretty simple and the documentation is upto mark for an unheard of engine. But I don't know if it can be used for making a full VN because other than the github link for its documentation there's nothing about it to be found on the net. I even tried to search for it on japanese websites but that too yielded nothing. Can anyone tell me more about it? I have tried to email its developer but I got no response. screen-en.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, actually I am the developer of Suika2 you're talking about.  Unfortunately, your e-mail didn't reach me.  If you have any questions, I would love to answer here on this board (or resend me an e-mail.)

But I don't know if it can be used for making a full VN

Suika2 is a fully featured VN engine except movie playback.

other than the github link for its documentation there's nothing about it to be found on the net

Yes, it's not that famous.  But at least, there is a semi-commercial full VN that uses Suika2.  Search for "灰翼のロードピス" if interested.  (ATTENTION!!! X-RATED!!!)

A good side of few users is that I can take a lot of time to support every single VN developers.  Feel free to contact me.  I'll introduce new features for you.

Edited by ktabata
spelling

1 hour ago, ktabata said:

Hi, actually I am the developer of Suika2 you're talking about.  Unfortunately, your e-mail didn't reach me.  If you have any questions, I would love to answer here on this board (or resend me an e-mail.)

Suika2 is a fully featured VN engine except movie playback.

Yes, it's not that famous.  But at least, there is a semi-commercial full VN that uses Suika2.  Search for "灰翼のロードピス" if interested.  (ATTENTION!!! X-RATED!!!)

A good side of few users is that I can take a lot of time to support every single VN developers.  Feel free to contact me.  I'll introduce new features for you.

Sorry I wasn't able to get into contact with you earlier. I have tried to play around with the engine and have found it way better than Ren'Py as a beginner friendly visual novel engine. Only two engines whom I consider way above in terms of "getting people into VN development" is Suika2 and Tyranobuilder. Problem is that, in Tyranobuilder I have actually been able to make a full game (it was only 20 minutes long but still...) and I was able to make scenes with Suika 2 and it's exporting feature is actually pretty fluid and smooth. The things where I am confused are areas that haven't been explained very well. Like for eg: buttons for the menu option. I understand that first two values located the center and next two values allocated the size for them but when I actually tried to implement it in that way, it isn't working very well. The buttons wouldn't work, or they are off the desired space where we have wanted them to be. Most of the problems I am facing is in the GUI department especially with buttons or whenever, lets say I decide to change the size of text box, as I wanted to make it bigger, because I was trying that time for an NVL mode to see if it'd work. This engine is pretty good and underrated. More so because I went to some Japanese sites and found some pretty sexy games that has been developed with this. I just couldn't find a very decent documentation or a video tutorial about it. I am going to check the link that you have posted but It would certainly be very nice if there was a video tutorial for it, because I couldn't even find a Japanese one.   Thanks for replying btw

eg: buttons for the menu option. I understand that first two values located the center and next two values allocated the size for them but when I actually tried to implement it in that way, it isn't working very well.

Sorry, I realized that the command reference is incomplete.
@menu menu.png menu-selected.png START 640 480 240 120

"640 480" locates the top-left position of the button on the screen.  It's not center position, and it's not documented.  I'll add some explanations to the command reference. Thank you for pointing out.

In this way, your feedback is important for this engine.  So please feel free to contact me with any comments or questions.

It would certainly be very nice if there was a video tutorial for it

Okay, I'll put it on my TODO list's top.  Since this is my first time to edit videos, it will take several weeks.

23 hours ago, ktabata said:

Sorry, I realized that the command reference is incomplete.

@menu menu.png menu-selected.png START 640 480 240 120

"640 480" locates the top-left position of the button on the screen.  It's not center position, and it's not documented.  I'll add some explanations to the command reference. Thank you for pointing out.

In this way, your feedback is important for this engine.  So please feel free to contact me with any comments or questions.

Okay, I'll put it on my TODO list's top.  Since this is my first time to edit videos, it will take several weeks.

Oh this helps tbh. That's why I wasn't able to adjust the buttons correctly. Btw I'll wait for the videos. Thanks again for the explanation.