Saimin Yuugi translation project (New attempt started mid-december 2022 with new team)

HMfan

Good news! I've finished my initial edits of all the translated parts of Keika and friends!

The amount that was translated already was pretty staggering. 90% of it, I'd say.

I have a few more things to note before I review my work:

-07kei_020.s line 1914 has untranslated text

-07kei_050.s line 912 has untranslated test

-07kei_080.s is made up of half translated text, half untranslated text. It starts and stops a few times during the script.

-The game crashed when characters spoke and defined something with a specific bracket.

-The game crashed whenever someone spoke with nothing but exclamation marks

The rest of Keika's stuff is untranslated, but it's really not that much compared to what's already done. Huge thanks to Randomer for sharing this stuff!

Edited by WaifusAndSyrup

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been using the japanese comma. I've been using a different unicode comma character that I posted earlier in the thread.

The reason I haven't been using the normal comma character is it deletes any following whitespace. "foo, bar" renders as "foo,bar" for instance.

I finished the next file in Rui route as well, though I haven't done enough editing to feel comfortable with it yet.

Rui is reciting poetry in class and I can't find an official translation of the poem in question. It's been a while since I took classical Japanese and I fully expect to butcher it so I feel kind of bad about translating it. Realistically not something I should be spending undue effort on, I guess.

If any of you manage to find an official TL where I couldn't, the poem is called 志おとろへし日は by Miyoshi Tatsuji. It was published in an anthology called 一点鐘.

Edited by WJHB

I've tried to personally use the command executibles to try out the current patch, but the main one seems to always be detected as a virus when I'm sure that it isn't. Any advice to merge the files to then be placed and replace the ones in the game? :iamslain:

On 3/9/2023 at 9:00 PM, WJHB said:

Rui is reciting poetry in class and I can't find an official translation of the poem in question. It's been a while since I took classical Japanese and I fully expect to butcher it so I feel kind of bad about translating it. Realistically not something I should be spending undue effort on, I guess.

If any of you manage to find an official TL where I couldn't, the poem is called 志おとろへし日は by Miyoshi Tatsuji. It was published in an anthology called 一点鐘.

Is this what you're looking for?

The day I lost heart,

the sun was shining too brightly,

the flowers too red.

No, not that one. I think I'll just attempt an original translation, though I might have to contact my old professor. I plan on taking my time to think about it, so if I finish the chapter before have a translation of the poem I'm satisfied with, I'll put it in romaji.

I found a Japanese blog on which the full original poem was posted along with some analysis: https://hirolead.livedoor.blog/archives/50002056.html. Nothing in there about red flowers.

Edited by WJHB

On 3/12/2023 at 1:19 AM, AlterDim said:

I've tried to personally use the command executibles to try out the current patch, but the main one seems to always be detected as a virus when I'm sure that it isn't. Any advice to merge the files to then be placed and replace the ones in the game? :iamslain:

I uploaded a version of data9.pack earlier that has some of my changes as well as HMFan's, but it's not especially recent. You can just put that in your GameData folder to try out an outdated patch. I don't plan on repacking the patch as frequently as I plan on pushing changes though, because it's a bit of hassle. My computer marks arc_conv.exe as a virus too, but I just turned off Windows Defender temporarily and it worked fine.

Just finished my archiving for the month and saw this got updated. In lieu of moving things along, I can do a second editing pass on Keika's route. Though I'll probably only do it if Notepad++ can be used and I can be given a translation guideline. If that is possible, let me know and I'll work on it towards the end of each month or sooner.

Edit: It seems like Notepad++ works. Also, would it be alright to adjust returns to be at the natural word wrap length? I can take care of that while editing.

Edited by UnderArchivist

Notepad++ is what I've been using, actually. Do you know Japanese? I was planning to do TLC before editing, but there's no harm in doing editing first if you have time. And yeah, setting up proper word wrap would be great. Also make sure no line ends up longer than 3 lines in game, or it won't display correctly in the backlog.

1 hour ago, WJHB said:

Notepad++ is what I've been using, actually. Do you know Japanese? I was planning to do TLC before editing, but there's no harm in doing editing first if you have time. And yeah, setting up proper word wrap would be great. Also make sure no line ends up longer than 3 lines in game, or it won't display correctly in the backlog.

Awesome. And no, my Japanese knowledge is very limited. Only a year or two. So I'd mostly just be editing, not doing TLC. I can wait for TLC if it is coming, but is there anything ready for editing rn? This is the most I've been free in a while.

Maybe you should look over the work I did? I don't think anyone's done that yet. I'm not sure where everyone else is uploading their work, since as far as I can tell HypnoConductor and myself are the only contributors to the repository.

To be honest, I don't exactly know what to prioritize. I guess now is a good time to round up my understanding of our progress so far:

Common route: Translated by HMFan. Randomer made some typo corrections.

Maiya route: HMFan translated up to 02mai_050b.s. Randomer made some typo corrections. justXuX is working on translating the rest. @justXuXWhat's your progress looking like, and is there any chance I could take a look at your work?

Rui route: I'm currently working through 06rui_020.s. I've looked over my own work, but more eyes are always appreciated.

Keika route: Randomer translated up to 07kei_040.s. WaifusAndSyrup gave it a look over and fixed some things, but apparently issues still remain. Randomer said he might continue working on it.

Party+epilogue: Randomer partially translated the first party scene.

So, basically nothing has been actually TLC'd, unless you count me double-checking my own work. I'm not totally sure what to tell you to do.

45 minutes ago, WJHB said:

Maybe you should look over the work I did? I don't think anyone's done that yet. I'm not sure where everyone else is uploading their work, since as far as I can tell HypnoConductor and myself are the only contributors to the repository.

To be honest, I don't exactly know what to prioritize. I guess now is a good time to round up my understanding of our progress so far:

Common route: Translated by HMFan. Randomer made some typo corrections.

Maiya route: HMFan translated up to 02mai_050b.s. Randomer made some typo corrections. justXuX is working on translating the rest. @justXuXWhat's your progress looking like, and is there any chance I could take a look at your work?

Rui route: I'm currently working through 06rui_020.s. I've looked over my own work, but more eyes are always appreciated.

Keika route: Randomer translated up to 07kei_040.s. WaifusAndSyrup gave it a look over and fixed some things, but apparently issues still remain. Randomer said he might continue working on it.

Party+epilogue: Randomer partially translated the first party scene.

So, basically nothing has been actually TLC'd, unless you count me double-checking my own work. I'm not totally sure what to tell you to do.

I'll take a look at your stuff with Rui so far. Will likely be a while until I post here about it though.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:34 AM, WJHB said:

@justXuXWhat's your progress looking like, and is there any chance I could take a look at your work? 

I almost finished translating the route, after that I plan to edit and check the translated text, then copy it into the files one by one.

What exactly you want to take a look at?

Edited by justXuX
Added some info

On 3/16/2023 at 9:34 PM, WJHB said:

Waifu's work is in a fork. I'm not sure where anyone else is uploading their stuff.

11 hours ago, justXuX said:

I almost finished translating the route, after that I plan to edit and check the translated text, then copy it into the files one by one.

What exactly you want to take a look at?

Nothing in particular, I was just wondering how far you were.

Hey I wanted to take a part in the project but I don't know about the technical stuff but I am willing to learn it. I also know a bit of japanese. So if I am able to join how do we coordinate is there any discord server

We've just been using this thread. It might be more efficient to switch to Discord for the sake of asking other team members quick questions, but since we haven't done much TLC or anything yet everyone's been working pretty independently.