Saimin Yuugi translation project (New attempt started mid-december 2022 with new team)

HMfan

On 12/23/2022 at 11:41 PM, WJHB said:

I figured whether or not the text is dialogue would be obvious by the name of the speaker, but if other people think quotation marks are better, that's fine too. I think we should go with some variation of English quotation marks instead of Japanese ones if we do that option, though. Also, does anyone know if QLiE has comment functionality? I'd like somewhere to keep notes on my translation decisions. I guess I could just switch over to using the format Sisulizer suggested.

1 hour ago, guy6359 said:

I'm going to be updating the readme in the repo with this as well as how to use the tools

Lurker coming out of left field here, was there ever a decision made on the quotation marks? If so, maybe it should also be added as a rule to the readme in the repo?

Also, for newcomers and other lurkers, the repo in question (At least I think this is the one, just found it by googling it so not 100% sure): https://gitgud.io/LainIwakura/saimin-yuugi-translation 

7 hours ago, scentedtiger said:

Lurker coming out of left field here, was there ever a decision made on the quotation marks? If so, maybe it should also be added as a rule to the readme in the repo?

Also, for newcomers and other lurkers, the repo in question (At least I think this is the one, just found it by googling it so not 100% sure): https://gitgud.io/LainIwakura/saimin-yuugi-translation 

Yeah that’s the Repo

I've been using (and vote for) no quotation marks, since a lot of VNs do that, and also because there are several inline quoted phrases that I'd have to use single quotes for otherwise. No strong preference, though.

I'll try to figure out how to rework my fork around the new structure.

Edit: One other thing with regard to the engine is that I can't get the ö in Schrödinger to display properly. It just gets changed to a normal o when I pack it. Haven't managed to get Sisulizer's scripts working so I haven't tried those. It's not the end of the world but it'll bug me if I don't fix it.

Also I might suggest that the folder in the repo be named data8.pack since that's what I've been packing it as. Seems better to just use a higher number instead of renaming the old data6.pack to make room for the new one.

Edited by WJHB

9 hours ago, WJHB said:

I've been using (and vote for) no quotation marks, since a lot of VNs do that, and also because there are several inline quoted phrases that I'd have to use single quotes for otherwise. No strong preference, though.

Edit: One other thing with regard to the engine is that I can't get the ö in Schrödinger to display properly. It just gets changed to a normal o when I pack it. Haven't managed to get Sisulizer's scripts working so I haven't tried those. It's not the end of the world but it'll bug me if I don't fix it.

Also I might suggest that the folder in the repo be named data8.pack since that's what I've been packing it as. Seems better to just use a higher number instead of renaming the old data6.pack to make room for the new one.

So I actually have a data8.pack from HMFan with a UI translation. That’s why I was just replacing 6. I can see about uploading it

Update: I've finished the first two scripts in Rui route (about 700 lines and covers her first hypnosis scene.) If anyone notices mistakes or wants to give feedback let me know. I probably won't be able to maintain this pace once I go back to college but I'll try to be consistent and work on it for at least half an hour or so a day.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a3irdhvHpJbu75BD3EnkwRYXq03jetV1/view?usp=sharing

Edited by WJHB

On 12/31/2022 at 4:03 PM, WJHB said:

Update: I've finished the first two scripts in Rui route (about 700 lines and covers her first hypnosis scene.) If anyone notices mistakes or wants to give feedback let me know. I probably won't be able to maintain this pace once I go back to college but I'll try to be consistent and work on it for at least half an hour or so a day.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a3irdhvHpJbu75BD3EnkwRYXq03jetV1/view?usp=sharing

I've merged your pull request into the master branch. Thanks for helping out on this project. Even just this little bit done is huge

On 12/30/2022 at 12:25 AM, WJHB said:

So that data8.pack file needs to be loaded last for the common route to not break. I renamed it to data10.pack in the event that we still want to just rely on the priority of files loading instead of replacing the original file with a patched one. Lets keep this in mind for the future

In my winter break ennui-fueled translation spree I've finished the second hypnosis scene. Again, criticism welcome, and again, don't expect me to maintain this pace once the semester starts.

https://gitgud.io/WJHB/saimin-yuugi-translation/-/tree/rui

I haven't bothered to merge the upstream changes back into my branch or significantly modify my workflow (I don't mind doing word wrap manually and the commas fuck up the spacing anyway.)

20 hours ago, WJHB said:

In my winter break ennui-fueled translation spree I've finished the second hypnosis scene. Again, criticism welcome, and again, don't expect me to maintain this pace once the semester starts.

I haven't bothered to merge the upstream changes back into my branch or significantly modify my workflow (I don't mind doing word wrap manually and the commas fuck up the spacing anyway.)

Thanks for the work you’re putting into this man. I’ll give it a play through and merge if there isn’t anything broken

On 1/6/2023 at 2:51 AM, WJHB said:

I am halfway through the second hypnosis scene right now. There is a typo on line 1756 in 03rui_020.s that I caught. Looks like you repeated a line there. I'm almost done proofreading but other than that small error, so far so good.

Edited by HypnoConductor
a word

Unfortunately I've hit my first roadblock: Keika and her friends' conversation in the 4th chapter is really confusing to me. I think I've generally been able to make sense of it, but I didn't know what the deal was with these lines. https://pastebin.com/7sTDkZN6

I understand what the words mean typically, but I figure they're using some colloquialisms because it doesn't make too much sense to me in context. I might leave it until I can get another opinion.

On 1/8/2023 at 4:56 AM, HypnoConductor said:

I am halfway through the second hypnosis scene right now. There is a typo on line 1756 in 03rui_020.s that I caught. Looks like you repeated a line there. I'm almost done proofreading but other than that small error, so far so good.

I fixed this but gitgud seems to be down for maintenance so I haven't pushed my changes yet. Edit: Pushed them.

Edited by WJHB

03rui_040.s

Don't know about the line because I've edited the file too much. I put in a temporary translation that I don't think makes much sense, you could interpret this a different way because the subject and object aren't clearly specified in these lines. Here's my attempt:

Couldn't you hook your brother up with Hidaka?
Woah, woah, if he did it with her, I wouldn't be able to take it!
Just make him do it.
He'd be arrested.
And if she wanted to take revenge in the same way, the sports club members would gather.

Also, I took some liberty when translating a later line and essentially had Yanagi's internal monologue function as a translator's note. I figure that's not too much of an overstep.

I translated:

蛍火「じゃあ第二弾、鵡川のデート編! 今日はデートをします、文学的に! キリッ!」

As:

Keika: Now for act 2, Mukawa-sensei's date! I'll now go on a literary date. Kiri!

She punctuates her impression with a manga-esque sound effect, complementing her deadpan expression.

Hi there lurker to this project here, i just had a couple of questions. Firstly, some background about me i have been following this project since HMFan was working on it. I wish I could assist with this project i unfortunately do not know any japanese. I'm a python programmer who is actually working on my own hypnosis based VN made in Ren'py. Secondly, my questions how will people like me who are following the project transition from HMFan version over to this team version. Will it simply be add the pack to the directory like data9.PACK for example. And second i'm assuming currently there is no release to add to HMFan version? Thank you for taking up this project, VN translation that never get finished is never a good thing afterall. 

On 1/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, Mega The Game Dev said:

Hi there lurker to this project here, i just had a couple of questions. Firstly, some background about me i have been following this project since HMFan was working on it. I wish I could assist with this project i unfortunately do not know any japanese. I'm a python programmer who is actually working on my own hypnosis based VN made in Ren'py. Secondly, my questions how will people like me who are following the project transition from HMFan version over to this team version. Will it simply be add the pack to the directory like data9.PACK for example. And second i'm assuming currently there is no release to add to HMFan version? Thank you for taking up this project, VN translation that never get finished is never a good thing afterall. 

The tools and instructions to create the pack file is in the github repo. At the moment, Everything HMFan has translated is already added to the main code repo so if you were to clone it and build the patch, it would include whatever HMFan has done as well as everything WJHB has done since her first Merge Request. I don't mind uploading pre-patched files though if needed.

@WJHB Would you be cool with creating a new merge request with the stuff you've worked on?

Edited by HypnoConductor
Pronouns