Saimin Yuugi translation project (New attempt started mid-december 2022 with new team)

HMfan

Latest Update (June 24)

Common Route translation: 100%  
Common Route editing: 1/6 scenario files

Maiya Route translation: 5/23 
Maiya Route editing: pending

Keika Route translation: 6/21  
Keika Route editing: pending

Rui Route translation: pending  
Rui Route editing: pending

Current Staff:

Me (Translating, Hacking)
SpookySaint (Editing)
Senpai Ken (Translating)
Spirited Away (Editing)

Currently seeking additional translators, and a more competent hacker for UI translation.

Original Post ↓

Hello. I've decided to translate Saimin Yuugi, my favorite eroge. Well written hypnosis with Sayori's art? Holy shit, yes please. Really, nothing else compares.

Now, I'm a solo, amateur translator, and I acknowledge we're an inherently unreliable lot. With that being said, I wouldn't be making this thread unless I was committed to finishing.

Why make this thread?

1) On the off chance someone else is interested in translating, I'd love to have your help. No long-term commitment necessary.

2) If anyone is interested in editing my translated scripts (checking my grammar and watching for awkward descriptions or stilted dialogue), I'd love to have you. Also no long-term commitment necessary.

3) On the off off chance someone else was partway through translating this eight year old eroge, I may as well find out about it now before sinking too much more time into this.

In short, I love this game and am asking for help to make the translation the best it can be.

What have I already done? 

- Unpacking and repacking the game files is confirmed working with a partial patch tested both on my machine and others.

- Maiya's route is 17% translated, which includes an introduction common to all routes.

Not a lot, but it's only a week's worth of effort. I'm confident that this pace will let me finish without burning out. On that note however, my main goal for this project is the translation of Maiya's route. I think the completionist in me will make sure I see the project through to the end, but I expect significantly slower progress on the other routes. Especially Keika's.

If you have questions feel free to ask. 

As for Sayori, admittedly her arts are quite good. In fact I used her Touhou art mod when I did play Labyrinth of Touhou, and I didn't realized that it's her arts until recently. It's just too bad that most of her works are in nukige or simple moege (ie Nekopara) though, but then again that kind of VNs would surely need some good arts so I guess it's not wrong if Sayori work on those title. Lastly, good luck to your project there.

Edited by littleshogun

4 hours ago, BigBigDog said:

Probably jumping the gun here, but do you plan on doing the sequel as well?

I'd never say never, but I think it's unlikely. I like the sequel a fair bit less than this game, so I might not be too inclined to dedicate a huge chunk of time to it. If I found a couple people to work on it as a team it gets a lot more likely.

15 hours ago, HMfan said:

I'd never say never, but I think it's unlikely. I like the sequel a fair bit less than this game, so I might not be too inclined to dedicate a huge chunk of time to it. If I found a couple people to work on it as a team it gets a lot more likely.

Ah, that's unfortunate, but if you don't like it then you don't like it. Best of luck on seeing the project through to the end!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I was wondering if you were still looking for people? I'm also interested in translating myself, actually. Or if you prefer I take on a different role that's fine too. Like proofreader or editor. In the offchance you're still looking, I'd be happy to fill in one of those roles. :) 

I am a newbie though, so bear with me!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been too long since my last update, but quite a lot has happened!

1. SpookySaint joined the project as an editor.

2. Senpai Ken and Spirited Away joined the project as translator and editor respectively.

Senpai Ken has decided to translate Keika's route, so we'll be working in parallel on different routes. I'd like to also thank Fiddle for providing the first ~25% of Keika's route that was done several years ago for a now dead translation project :)

Project Status:

(Counting lines to find a percentage was a bit more trouble than it was worth. The below should still be an adequate estimate)

Common Route translation: 100%  
Common Route editing: 1/6 scenario files

Maiya Route translation: 5/23   
Maiya Route editing: pending

Keika Route translation: 6/21  
Keika Route editing: pending

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, amateur translator here.

Funnily enough, I actually started some work on translating this VN as well. I only bothered to check now if someone else was doing it. I have some work done on Rui's route, along with some engine editing/hacking stuff. I'd be interested in joining the team if you're still looking for some people.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:40 AM, fallingdown said:

Hey there, amateur translator here.

Funnily enough, I actually started some work on translating this VN as well. I only bothered to check now if someone else was doing it. I have some work done on Rui's route, along with some engine editing/hacking stuff. I'd be interested in joining the team if you're still looking for some people.

Sent you a PM :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, this is my favorite eroge as well! I actually tried translating it myself to practice my Japanese, but it's the first VN I've tried reading in Japanese and I'm still struggling with a lot of it. I also have a decent amount of programming experience, though I haven't worked on modding a VN before. I'm happy to help in any way I can!

• 2 months later...

Bumping, has anyone heard from the TL team? I've been continuing my personal "translation" (it's mostly just writing down approximations of what I can understand with my limited grammar knowledge) but I'd still love to help if I can get in touch with the other team members.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all. I had a lot going on, and before I knew it, a year had gone by. I knew there would be stretches where I couldn't get much translating done, but I never meant to leave the project without updates for so long.

I'm setting a short-term goal of reaching the halfway point of Maiya's route by the end of September. 

Some people asked about a partial patch download. Here are three files you can copy to your already existing Saimin Yuugi install if you want to test it:

https://mega.nz/file/pIpSjL7K#ygSQKnwnNVdE_FQ0s_Rr4sR7e9Wjcl-VT_DjLpQI7gA (催眠遊戯.exe - UI translation)

https://mega.nz/file/UdgGiRCA#DM6mm3h42KfbVZMUN_pRt8c1ys8r99AbnnbMj1JpmGQ (data8.pack - UI translation)

https://mega.nz/file/9A5AyC6a#vaBuR4FcGcReYkf2jmPyIHVuTcHaKghp442kVktf_YQ (data6.pack - Scenario translation -- common route + maiya only for now)

The first file replaces the game executable. The second two go in the 'GameData' subdirectory, replacing the existing data6.pack file. I recommend backing up the files before overwriting. Full credit to fallingdown for the UI translation. A patch installer isn't on the todo list until at least one route has been translated.

Edited by HMfan

• 2 months later...

hi you all i just so happend to find this thread today and, if it's not too much to ask, would like to inquire about your current progress 

i saw that you set yourself a short term goal for the end of september and just wanted to ask how you're all doing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...