Hello, Anime Fan since the 1990's...

Tasuke

hi!! been an Anime fan since the early 1990's. like most western Anime fans of my generation, it all began with MACROSS/ROBOTECH.

been a hardcore Mecha fan most of those years, began paying increasing attention to the characters around the turn of the 2000's.

this singleminded Mecha fan was suddenly thrust into the world of Character doll collecting in 2001
when the U.S. based collectible toy firm TOYNAMI released their long forgotten, rather crudely designed line
of 1/6 character dolls from the 1992 OVA series "Tenchi Muyo!"

these were my first non-Mecha related Anime items. they inspired me to begin a slow, clumsy self-education in Sewing skills
so i might make outfits for them i'd like to see them wear.

i learned the bulk of my skills under these crudely-proportioned Anime dolls, and by 2007 or so,
when i finally, -FINALLY- joined the 21st century with regular home internet access and the ability to shop online,
and was ready to finally put those awful Tenchi Muyo dolls behind me, i was able to catch up to a degree
and begin locating more modern character dolls of Anime characters that struck my fancy.

i stuck with 1/6 since that was what i could afford, and whar was readily available to me.
my first was MegaHouse corp's 1/6 "Action Figure Collection" Mikuru Asahina from the once wildly popular Anime series "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"

Mikuru was to become my favorite Anime Character, and she remains so to this day.
her doll was a major evolutionary turning point for me as an Anime-centric character doll enthusiast.

her doll, like all of MegaHouse's character dolls, is based around the fantastic 27cm./1/6 OBITSU brand poseable doll body.
this doll body, a quantum leap above those awful TOYNAMI Tenchi Muyo designs, opened a new world of character doll collecting for me.

so many 1990's era 1/6 Japanese market dolls of great, often long forgotten Anime and Video Game characters were produced,
-and today are often quite affordably found- with heads sporting decent facial sculpts, but attached to abysmal Barbie-like doll bodies.
the OBITSU BODY is the answer to that problem, and has afforded me several great customized character dolls
of various Female Japanese pop culture characters i spent my teen years growing up around.

i was born in early 1982, so that would be putting me between 4~5 years old when ROBOTECH aired.

nevertheless, ROBOTECH did get me into Anime by proxy in 1988/1989, when a nephew gave me his built up, badly painted REVELL ROBOTECH DEFENDERS VEXAR,
which was nothing more than a western market repackaging of the original early-80's IMAI MACROSS 1/72 VF-1S ROY FOCKER transformable model kit;

ROBOTECHVEXAR6-13-10-1.jpg

DSC_2165.jpg

that model, while short lived in my destructive pre-teen hands, stuck in my head until around 1994 or so,
when i got to go to a large hobby shop, and found an IMAI 1/100 GERWALK mode VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo/Rick Hunter kit.

that model led me to seek out hobby and comic/collectible shops, and finding the FHE double episode ROBOTECH VHS volumes
at my local SUNCOAST VIDEO's Anime section turned me onto looking at other Anime.

Anime on home video was expensive then, and U.S. offerings were heavily weighted with so-so quality OVA one-off productions
and movie-length features. T.V. series were a limited and risky proposition, there being a majority of material out there
that wasn't, at the time, considered a viable sell to the U.S. market. what little was available was often good quality,
but very pricey at a nominal $25/$40.00 USD per one or two episode Dubbed or Subbed tape.

for my part, i was of very limited financial means back then, and most of what i could spend was on Mecha model kits,
so i only occasionally had opportunity to pick up an actual Anime video.

naturally, being a MACROSS and general Mecha fan, i started out with MACROSS II and MACROSS PLUS MOVIE edits
that MANGA VIDEO had released at the time, and only began branching out into somewhat less Mecha-oriented affairs
in the late-1990's, starting out woth Tenchi Muyo! and Galaxy Fraulien Yuna.

very late 90's/early-2000's were the beginning of a new age of plenty for me and my Anime fandom.
a local BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO sprung up, with it's attendant Anime section, and i was able to rent a ton of stuff
i would have never taken the risk on otherwise.

then, into the 2000's, i got much more affluent, and the Great U.S. Anime DVD Boom hit,
and me and my family were trying out all sorts of great series, series we ended up buying every volume of,
such as Ai Yori Aoshi, Chobits, Hand Maid May and Steel Angel Kurumi.

conversely, this was a dark age for me and Mecha model kits and Anime merchandise in general, as there were no longer any sources available to me.
i had my local SUNCOAST VIDEO and BEST BUY keeping me in the loop for Anime on home video, but that was it.

then, i finally joined the 21st century when i got home internet access around 2007. my local SUNCOAST VIDEO was no more,
- BEST BUY drove them under with undercutting pricing strategies - and that aforementioned BEST BUY
was scaling their once fantastic Anime selection WAY back.

without the internet, i might have been forced out of Anime fandom altogether, or at least been forced into
a VERY limited knowledge and availability of selection. i wouldn't have the Anime doll harem i have now,
and i probably would never have known about the Vocaloid phenomonon.

being a nobody, out here in a farming town region, without the interwebs i'd have been pretty well doomed
to a life of ignorant mediocrity, missing out utterly on all the fine things in life Anime can bring to your table...

34 minutes ago, Tasuke said:

hi!! been an Anime fan since the early 1990's. like most western Anime fans of my generation, it all began with MACROSS/ROBOTECH.

hello and welcome to fuwanovel
as i see youre a hardrock about stuff figures like mecha. i dont know about so many mecha anime, but gundam and Code geass are my favorite one.
im not collecting figures like you, but i do collecting about anime/vn and some fav figures only :)

anyway, hope you enjoy your time here

Edited by MDruidd

My first anime was Record of Lodoss War (OVA series, not the TV series).  Well, technically it was Voltron, but I didn't even realize it was anime until years later.  I got into jrpgs about the same time, starting with the SNES version of Breath of Fire and Chrono Trigger.  I never got into figure collecting because I never had enough money to blow on that and still get a jrpg and a few anime VHS tapes every few months.  

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and sorry for the belated greeting.

As for my first anime, I guess Doraemon 1979 version would be a suffice answer seeing that it's one of the long run anime in Indonesia, and I only remember that anime well. Other than that, I also watch Corrector Yui, first and second Precure (FwPC and MH), Cooking Master Boy, and Cardcaptor Sakura (At least the anime that I manage to watch fully and manage to know through Indonesian dub here). There's also several anime that I watch at Animax as well, such as Fate Stay Night DEEN version, Midori Days, Gun x Sword, and God Save Our King (Yes I know that it's a BL anime and yes I manage to like it despite the unusual shipping that happened there).

For the game, I only manage to play Digimon World trilogy for PS1 machine. After that I manage to get PS2 and get known several RPGs such as Shadow Hearts 2 and 3, FFX duology, and Tales of the Abyss. Some years later, I manage to get emulator and played Chrono Trigger, FFVII, Wild Arms 2, and Chrono Cross.

Well looks like it become I'm tell some of my past here, so let me wrapped up here that I hope that you'll have fun here.

Welcome friend.

I hope you enjoy your stay here and hope you like what you read or see.

I got into anime before it became popular with people. I remember Gundam and Ghost in a Shell a lot growing up and I never looked back since. I was always into Video games when i got the Ps1 for Christmas in 95 and I have been playing since them. I was always into these two things ever since i was a kid and I got into Japanese culture very young.

Enjoy yourself and i hope you have a great day.

6 minutes ago, Tasuke said:

i've been a gamer since my folks got me my first console, a SEGA GENESIS, back as it first hit street in the U.S. around X-Mas 1989, IIRC...

I remember having a Genesis when it was dying out and the PS1s were hitting the market. I remember very little about it and I remember the announcement for it and the Saturn like the back of my hand. Makes both of us old don't it.