Golden Week Steam Sale! Can't make up my mind what to pick...

Volt

Help me out, please... (´ ▽ ` ) With the Golden Week Steam Sale going on, I’m trying to decide which visual novels to pick. I already picked Umineko - Answer Arcs for myself, but I’m also looking for novels to read together with my husband. He wants to buy Little Busters, because he liked the anime a lot, but we're thinking of picking that up on Switch instead.

I do have the wishlist narrowed down a bit:

1. The Fruit of Grisaia
  2. Maitetsu
  3. G-senjou no Maou
  4. Baldr Sky
  5. Muv Luv
  6. Root Double

Which one is the safest choice? I’m trying to pick 2 of them. The visual novels shouldn’t be too long-winded and by this I don’t mean to exclude long stories, but rather those with a lot of back and forth arguing about theories and very slow story progression (slice of life is okay, though).

Mystery, a lot of choices and humorous games are a plus.

(If you have some other visual novel recommendations throw them at me as well, preferably ones that are on sale on Steam!)

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Help me out, please... (´ ▽ ` ) With the Golden Week Steam Sale going on, I’m trying to decide which visual novels to pick. I already picked Umineko - Answer Arcs for myself, but I’m also looking for novels to read together with my husband. He wants to buy Little Busters, because he liked the anime a lot, but we're thinking of picking that up on Switch instead.

1. The Fruit of Grisaia
  2. Maitetsu
  3. G-senjou no Maou
  4. Baldr Sky
  5. Muv Luv
  6. Root Double

Which one is the safest choice? I’m trying to pick 2 of them. The visual novels shouldn’t be too long-winded and by this I don’t mean to exclude long stories, but rather those with a lot of back and forth arguing about theories and very slow story progression (slice of life is okay, though).

(If you have some other visual novel recommendations throw them at me as well, preferably ones that are on sale on Steam!)

i dont want to make you confused for another title, because there so many good VN.
if about little busters there have same plot or story but will some bonus about other routes, so ill try picking new first. So I would recommend from your list, ill pick G-Senjou no Maou first, if there next then Grisaia. the reason is, if you take griasia first, you will be hooked to playing  the same saries ex: rakuen, meikyu and etc
so pick g-senjou no maou first, both are so damn good

428 is only 10€ right now (instead of 50€) and it's one of the best VNs on Steam.

As for your wishlist, each of the VNs (except maybe Maitetsu, which I haven't read) has some aspects you might consider "long-winded". Grisaia has a very long common route (~40 hours) without an actual plot. G-Senjou no Maou has rather mediocre side routes (which you can skip without missing anything though). Baldr Sky is really long and has a section around the halfway point where you have to re-read several hours of content you already know. Muv Luv takes until the third game to actually get good. And Root Double has a habit of overexplaining its plot points and devices.

15 hours ago, Volt said:

1. The Fruit of Grisaia
  2. Maitetsu
  3. G-senjou no Maou
  4. Baldr Sky
  5. Muv Luv
  6. Root Double

Out of all of them I'd recommend Grisaia as your first choice, especially if you want humor as the common route may be long but it is very funny (especially Michiru's antics). Not very many choices in that one though aside from what route you go on (just don't play Yumiko and Makina's route back to back). As for the second one I'd recommend either G Senjou no Maou or Muv Luv; the former if you want some humor to go along with a bit of a thriller and also want the added bonus of the main antagonist being voiced by a before he was famous Jun Fukuyama, ironically doing what feels like a take on the later role that would make him famous :D, and with the latter if you want a slice of life comedy.

Thanks to your suggestions I am now decidedly undecided between Grisaia and G-senjou. I will roll the dice to decide between them shortly before the sale ends. :wafuu:

On 4.5.2020 at 8:17 PM, alpacaman said:

428 is only 10€ right now (instead of 50€) and it's one of the best VNs on Steam.

Oh, great reminder! Ever since I played the demo it's been on my wishlist. The game mechanics were fun and the games style is a welcome change.

I would say that if you have less time then you should chose G-Senjou, because you'll only need one VN to finish everything. While for Grisaia, well it have two more sequel (Or rather fandiscs) that you may want to read if you want everything concluded satisfyingly. So yeah you should try G-Senjou if you just want a shorter mystery VN. Either way I hope you'll have fun with your husband there. Also Shibuya Scramble here is a mystery VN with a lot of still photo that involving the player to piecing the scenes, so you may pick that up later if you've been interested with it.

Snatched both 428: Shibuya Scramble & G-senjou no Maou! Thanks guys.

We will start reading G-senjou once Little Busters is finished. 

428 unfortunately will have to wait quite a bit, since I will only be able to start on it once I'm done reading Umineko. Considering I'm a slowmotion reader, this will take ages. :wafuu: