How do you find the time to read so much?

serjio

People have read tens/hundreds of visual novels in their time. How do you do this if you have a full time job, or are a student? Even if you are not reading in Japanese (which I am doing), it takes >150 hours to get through visual novels like Clannad or Muv Luv series. https://snaptube.cam/  https://9apps.cam/

What do you guys do for a living that allows you to relax and find the time for this leisure activity? Really curious since it took me a week to get through half of clannad (Japanese) with about 4-6 hours a day.

Edited by serjio

I want to know as well. I have a lot of free time due to several reasons, and I still don't read as much as I would like.

These days it takes me months to finish something.

My attention span/focus has been worsening over the years, and I sadly don't wear glasses (I need them ASAP), so it is actually a challenge for me to read for a long period.

I think that people probably read VNs during the weekends, and for hours on end. They must find some time during work/school days too.

30 min-1h at least - you'd need energy and concentration though, which is difficult to have if you work or study full-time.

It will take you ages to finish something like Clannad at this pace (reading for 1-2 hours at most).

That is the biggest reason why I haven't tackled very long VNs to this day.

I remember trying to play Clannad in 2014 but I gave up due to length. I want to give it another chance, but it will take a while as I have a huge backlog.

I can't read for more than 2 hours straight unless it's something really gripping or if it's on Wikipedia or TVTropes.

Another issue is ergonomics. Sitting on a chair for a long time sucks. I've been using computers for more than a decade and I developed scoliosis because of this.

I appreciate games that have mobile ports or that are portable in some way, such as Ace Attorney, because I can lay down in bed.

Edited by supercar

17 hours ago, serjio said:

People have read tens/hundreds of visual novels in their time. How do you do this if you have a full time job, or are a student? Even if you are not reading in Japanese (which I am doing), it takes >150 hours to get through visual novels like Clannad or Muv Luv series.

What do you guys do for a living that allows you to relax and find the time for this leisure activity? Really curious since it took me a week to get through half of clannad (Japanese) with about 4-6 hours a day.

An important thing to note is that not all VNs are of monstrous length (also worth noting that when reading in your native language VNs are substantially shorter, i.e. the Muv Luv trilogy is nowhere near 150 hours.)  That said, reading through many VNs primarily occurs when you're a VN fan for a long time.  For me personally, working a ~40 hour week and sleeping ~70 hours per week and spending ~30 hours per week on non work responsibilities still leaves nearly 30 hours every week for whatever I want to do (and if I were to spend even half of that on VNs then my list would certainly be in the hundreds by now.)

Been reading VN's for over 8 years, but according to VNDB I've only finished 57 VN's (tried a lot more though). Nowadays, I got other hobbies, and I also like to read light novels and web novels, which kinda takes the place of VN's once you get into the story.

I mainly get through long works by prioritizing them (whoops) over other responsibilities. You just go straight to reading when you have free time. That being said, I rarely read super long VN's, and I almost never finish all the routes unless its a plotge and doing so is required.

Edited by Chronopolis

On 4/29/2020 at 3:40 PM, serjio said:

People have read tens/hundreds of visual novels in their time. How do you do this if you have a full time job, or are a student? Even if you are not reading in Japanese (which I am doing), it takes >150 hours to get through visual novels like Clannad or Muv Luv series.

I play VN after join on fuwa or maybe play 1 title then joined, right now already 74 title ive finished
i currently just read what i like, most if i hate someting route/charackters i just skip or chosing the route that triggered. But thas only some.
what time you must to read? ofc when you got free time
im playing while eating if at home, or playing when my work easier to do multi-task or sometimes take night time so take rest after works. I just play when feel it just like that

I wondered about that too. I think it has to do with how many hobbies you have. I guess some people read visual novels as a main hobby, while others have gaming & other things to do.

Also, some people are fast readers than others, or can read for hours to an end, which is more than enough to finish any visual novel.

And as others mentioned, some visual novels are not that long. 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I am extremely busy doing stuff for the scene and a lot of meta visual novel community building. I definitely spend more time maintaining my relationships and contacts instead of playing myself. However, I play a lot of trial versions and play VNs that can be completed in a single session. I kinda feel once the whole work aspect subsides and I discovered every VN gamer under the sun then I can settle down and play VNs. They won't run away and there will be bad weather days where playing a VN is super relaxing :)

• 5 weeks later...

Without any social life left at this point, I can read my books on the train to work (around 3 hours per day) so the few hours left i can spend on gaming or reading VNs whatever of both i feel like doing more.

That said I don't play them nearly as much as i used to anymore due to having less time to spend the last 2-3 years i barely played them at all due to not having enough time for everything. But the nice thing about VNs is that you don't have a time limit to play them and take a break whenever you want and 20-30 minutes a day also adds up over time.

I'm a special case. While I have read a lot of VNs in the past lately I've exclusively been reading for leisure or reviews. When I read for leisure then I usually read books, LNs or Manga - mostly of the raunchy kind ngl - and when I play for a review then it is less reading for fun, but more exploratively and while noting down ideas worth mentioning. It is an entirely different mode of reading than reading for pleasure. Lately, however, since I'm pretty much a community addict and sit in front my PC 24/7 due to making visual novels and their proliferation my job, I barely get down to reading by itself. 

Just this morning for example I finished reading a game demo that we translated ourselves, so that is another work-related thing. If I do read smth for pleasure lately it is Axanael or Bible Black, the latter more to explore its legacy and nix the memory of the anime adaption out of my mind

• 2 months later...

Even if I have read over 100 VN's, that was done over 10+ years.

Really, it's just finding time to read 1-2h per day. Just repeat that everyday for 10 years, and you eventually read 100+ VN's. It's rare to actually find someone who has read 100+ VN's over a few years unless they are a NEET.

It might be a bit harder depending on your social responsibilities, but it's about making time for yourself and building a schedule around it. I can pretty much turn on a VN anytime I want after work. Just read at your own pace, it's not a race.

Edited by Nemesis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I wouldn't say I do :footsip: When it comes to personal readings, I just try to read it a bit every day, like 15 minutes a day - it isn't much, but it's something. Now that I'm reading other VNs for reviewing, I just try to prioritize them as work, that way it doesn't feel like I'm lazying around (I gotta work on that bad habit) :lewdhazuki:

This is what I always think when I see some people here and on Reddit playing thousands of VNs in a month. For instance, it was january or february when I started playing White Album 2 and I still haven't finished it . I'm still stuck on Coda because I don't want to spend more time in this game since my backlog is already huge.

But basically, I don't have too much time to play VNs and I end up playing the same one for months. I wish I had an easier way to do so, but as for right now, the are just a side activity that I do when I'm 100% free.

• 7 months later...

Balancing a full-time job or being a student while enjoying visual novels requires time management. Many enthusiasts dedicate free time, weekends, or breaks to read. Some prioritize short VNs or play during commutes. Setting aside specific hours helps maintain a balance between leisure and responsibilities.