Is there any way to use VNR to translate VNs for the PS1?

SunZhuge

I know you can actually translate VNs for the PSP with PPSSPP, but I've been trying with emulators of the PS1 and I had no success. I already tried to google before asking but I haven't found any answer if there's really a way to use VNR or another tool to play and translate VNs for the PS1.

I also tried to hook text from PS1 VNs running in emulators, but no success. The only thing that could possibly work, would be the software that does OCR from screenshots (like the ABBYY Screenshot Reader, it's commercial, but there are also some freeware ones), but it's very inconvenient to use, since you have to press the keyboard shortcut for the capture for each new line. But none of the text-hooking tools that I use (like Textractor, or CheatEngine with HookAnyText plugin) were able to capture the text from PS1 or PS2 VNs. I guess they use some very non-standard text encoding. I was succesful only with some of the PSP and PS3 titles.

Cheat Engine + HAT ("Hook Any Text" script published at github) worked great for me. As for emulator, it does not really matter, I tested it on all the popular PS1 emulators of different versions with the same success. I prefer using emulator xebra because it's the most precise one managing to launch everything while popular emulators failed to launch some 20% of visual novels. There are cases when there is no renewable thread, just a wall of text. At rare cases no threads are found at all. I experienced some 2/3 of success cases.