Anime/Manga that (you thought) are different from popular opinion?

AfjalKhan

So are there any anime/manga that you have watched/read that you thought are very different than what the popular opinion on them suggests?

For me one would be Shingeki no Kyoujin, especially the 1st season of the anime. My friends talked about how good it was, but when I actually watched it, I just saw Eren as a very weak male lead and Mikasa as a yandere lead.  https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/ Not many interesting characters (except Levi) and not much character development. Im still not giving up hope on this series though, but for me the 1st season got a lot of praise it didnt really deserve. (I might get a lot of heat on this one)

Also, I'd dare people to read Kodomo no Jikan. I know people see this manga as lolicon fanservice fodder (it is, in some ways). But reading it unravels a story about different forms of love, relationships, and the challenges of being an educator. The issues that it tackled just cannot be tackled in any other setting.

Edited by AfjalKhan

I want to eat your pancreas. Before I watched it, I thought it was going to be a very sad tearjerker. I've read a bunch of reviews of this movie on MAL and most of them suggested that it's a badly executed story with shallow characters and it completely fails as a tearjerker. So after watching it, I absolutely didn't get the impression that this movie even wanted to be a tearjerker. 90% of it had a rather happy atmosphere. I think that this movie was very much misunderstood by the audience.

Shinchou Yuusha. After reading the summary, I expected this to be just another random comedy isekai with some fanservice and that it would get boring quickly. An overpowered protagonist who only has 1 personality trait and nothing else to his character. Well, I was proven wrong really quickly. This anime was actually genius and the comedy never got boring. The way it works is rather simple. This overpowered hero is not actually the protagonist (this is made obvious by never hearing any of his internal thoughts). Instead, the protagonist was this goddess who summoned him and her interactions with the hero and her overreactions are totally golden. Her voice actor did a seriously good job. I feel a little bad for this show, because most of the audience probably couldn't realize that and therefore couldn't enjoy the show because of some biased opinions towards random isekai comedies.

Edited by Zidan209

2 hours ago, AfjalKhan said:

So are there any anime/manga that you have watched/read that you thought are very different than what the popular opinion on them suggests?

For me one would be Shingeki no Kyoujin, especially the 1st season of the anime. My friends talked about how good it was, but when I actually watched it, I just saw Eren as a very weak male lead and Mikasa as a yandere lead. Not many interesting characters (except Levi) and not much character development. Im still not giving up hope on this series though, but for me the 1st season got a lot of praise it didnt really deserve. (I might get a lot of heat on this one)

Also, I'd dare people to read Kodomo no Jikan. I know people see this manga as lolicon fanservice fodder (it is, in some ways). But reading it unravels a story about different forms of love, relationships, and the challenges of being an educator. The issues that it tackled just cannot be tackled in any other setting.

...how are you gonna do that? how are you gonna get me fired up about being wrong about attack on titan and then praise kodomo no jikan, one of my first and beloved manga series? just aint right.

im not sure how much praise this one gets but my vote would have to be for akame ga kill. i dont know how far i made it into the show but from the setting being in what looks like just past automobiles taking off times but talking as if it was modern times and dressing like so, to inconsistent tone, and the straw that broke this camels back, a girl had guns installed in both her arms that got cut off in the middle of battle so she could now use them and to top it all off, she had a gun down her throat... that she could somehow fire still. im sorry but i have never ever been so floored but something so dumb in an anime and i watched a guy become addicted to a girls spit.

1 hour ago, Zidan209 said:

I want to eat your pancreas. Before I watched it, I thought it was going to be a very sad tearjerker. I've read a bunch of reviews of this movie on MAL and most of them suggested that it's a badly executed story with shallow characters and it completely fails as a tearjerker. So after watching it, I absolutely didn't get the impression that this movie even wanted to be a tearjerker. 90% of it had a rather happy atmosphere. I think that this movie was very much misunderstood by the audience.

oh yeah, IWTEYP. ill put that on my list as well because, while i wasnt really expecting to cry a ton i just felt like i couldnt get invested. the main girl never felt to me like a real character going through this scary time but more so as just inspiration to this introvert boy. plus some plot lines felt unnecessary and didnt add anything really like the guy who likes her. dont think that had any pay off that couldnt be achieved by the friend of hers. and what was with that friend hating that guy? i get hes the "loser" of the school but seemed pretty extreme. i thought he would be a suspect in a murder or something the way she acted but just didnt really add anything. and as beautiful as that note reading scene was i just felt it went on for way too long and the symbolism was a bit shoved down your throat too much.

YOUR LIE IN APRIL! thats another one. i bailed half way through when a character said something no one would ever say. "that boy lost his mother and it changed his life. im afraid for him to move forward hes gonna have to lose someone again." like could you be anymore obvious, show? and again, inconsistent tone in this one. 

The main one would probably be not liking Re:Zero very much. I respect what it was going for and the general quality of the writing, but I hate Subaru with a burning passion and don't want to see him ever again. I'm borderline surprised I made it to the end of the first season, but that "I love Emilia" line at the end genuinely broke me. I don't even think he's that good of a character storytelling-wise, being either a complete idiot or really ingenious depending on what the plot demands of him. Probably will never watch the second season.

The smaller ones... First would be not really liking the Kizumonogatari movies, particularly the first two ones. They combine everything I dislike about the series as a whole: obnoxious fanservice, grotesque violence and characters acting like complete morons. There are some cool visual elements and memorable scenes there, and the third movie got genuinely good, but they absolutely do not live up to the hype. Another one would be liking School Days anime. I won't say it's good, but I like most of the things it does: it's just a story of a bunch of awful people, harem tropes gone wrong and everyone getting punished for how horrible they were. What's not to like in this? :P

I'd say for me it's Erased. The first 3 episodes weer very atmospheric and pretty good overall, but after that it just turned bland. People say that it's a great show with an awful and predictable ending, but for me the meh part started way before the ending.

Fushigi no Kuni no Shounen Alice is a manga that nobody ever talks about, and it has some awfully low rating on Mangaupdates, but I personally found it strangely fun. There isn't really any coherent story in it, neither there is any obvious hidden meaning, and it feels like some kind of a high trip. According to the last chapter, it looks like it's supposed to represent mental illness in some way. Still, somehow, it was really fun to read. I guess, my tastes are just that awful. :pyaa:

1 hour ago, Zidan209 said:

I feel a little bad for this show, because most of the audience probably couldn't realize that and therefore couldn't enjoy the show because of some biased opinions towards random isekai comedies.

Well, here's my personal unpopular opinion: there are quite a lot of really good isekais out there, especially comedies, but they rarely get noticed because, due to the abundance of awfully written escapist fantasies, they rarely ever get noticed by the general public.

Black Clover

I really appreciate the staff who have worked on this project, as well as the original author for the series. At the beginning of the episode the main character....you know who is annoying in the anime. Yepp he is asta, some people talking about him so cheerful yet airhead type. Who still watching till the lastest episode enjoying of daily comedy from asta in the anime. I dont get it at all, its annoying so much for me, So i only watching the battle when comming. Actually when asta scouting about something that not important at all. I rejoice in what happened to asta who did not have magic, but his personality so sucks.

6 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Another one would be liking School Days anime. I won't say it's good, but I like most of the things it does: it's just a story of a bunch of awful people, harem tropes gone wrong and everyone getting punished for how horrible they were. What's not to like in this? :P

its true, when i watching School Days anime in my heart feel in pain about all of characters. in the anime setting like the world no good ppl there.

It happens to me a lot.  However, a lot of that is because my tastes in anime are odd/niche.  I like what I call 'junk isekai' (low-level isekai based on crappy light novel series with op protagonists or that are heavy on SOL), old-style rom-coms (think Ai Yori Aoshi, Toradora, Nyan Koi, etc), fantasy, sci-fi, and action anime that aren't battle royale between normal people or mahou shoujo.  With my favorite genres, I tend to be more forgiving unless they hit on one of my pet peeves...  As an example, Arifureta Shokugyou.  I still liked it, despite its horrible (and obvious) flaws, such as the odd CG monsters that looked like something from fifteen years ago (including the crappy combat animations) and the fact that the first six episodes were the prologue.  

Two anime that are beloved that I hated where Shingeki no Kyojin and FLCL... for two different reasons.  I hated Shingeki no Kyojin because it reminded me of any number of 'monsters destroying humanity for no known reason' anime that came out in the nineties and first decade of the century.  FLCL is a representative of the psychedelic (is mostly enjoyed by people that are high) genre, which has a tendency toward meaninglessness without the saving grace of decent comedy.

11 hours ago, Silvz said:

SAO is terrible, I don't understand how it is still a thing.

I don't think shitting on SAO is controversial at this point. :P I'm not sure it's that bad as mindless entertainment though. Stupid AF, obviously, but still has more personality than 90% of the isekai crap that came after it. Plus it has actual romance instead of never-ending harem shit, that still makes it stand out...

That is, at least outside of the Fairy Dance arc. That story is some of the worst shit ever animated. 

oh! i got one. now, overall demon slayer isnt bad but i really didnt like it for its cliche story telling and its convenient plot points. tanjiro pulling new techniques out of nowhere, no set up to hardly any of his techniques, the happy go lucky good main character who will always be nice, always has a smile on his face. i hate when shows try to give sad backstories to villains but their actions dont reflect that. every villains laughed at every human they were torturing, they gained pleasure from it. for them to try to get the audience to sympathize with them, i never bought it. and oh my fucking god, blonde haired character can die! i have never seen such an annoying character in my entire life. and again, convenient writing on his part. and god do i hate this writing. "im having a hard time! i cant breathe, my lungs are on fire! my legs are broken and my spine was damaged so i cant even move! i have to type with a keyboard now! its taking everything i got to keep my eyes open! But, i have to fight! no matter how much pain im in, i need to keep fighting! everyone is depending on it!" this is almost every single encounter with a demon. we get it! youre struggling! its the most youve ever struggled in your life! stop beating the audience over the head with it.

...so those are my thoughts on demon slayer.