Let's Talk: Kami no Rhapsody

andrewngn13

Vndb: https://vndb.org/v16341

Translation patch by flamepaladin and co:
kami-no-rhapsody-translation-partial patch

First of all, I'd like to point out that the translation patch is fairly good(all things considered when you're used to machine translation), although you may encounter the random grammar mistake, failed linebreak, and etc. Of course, as stated by the translator themselves, this is not the final patch. This patch does cover basically everything besides some minor append content and the defeat texts.

**Round of applause**

Now to launch into talking about the game itself. Oh man where do i start. I think I've dumped around 80 hours into the game just trying to be a completionist and gather everything. If you're coming from Kamidori(I expect many of us are), I can't say that it quite measures up to what I was expecting. As many people have pointed out, the mana system is a disaster. You use mana to deploy units, it has a very low gain/regen rate, and its generally not that much more amazing compared to bruteforcing your way with physical attacks. Sidequest objectives can tend to be very tedious also, like cutting down all the wood fences in a wooden fort.

The medal equipment system is also ... sorely lacking. Considering many of them are mana usage, you just kind of ignore them, and only a small number of the passive medals are useful. Upgrading characters is also something that you probably want to passively do as you go through your new game pluses. As far as I have seen, the runes needed for upgrades are in semi-limited amounts, and quite frankly I never really felt like I needed the upgrades at all.

Does this mean that I had a bad experience?

Not really? Which is kind of a vague answer, but I did enjoy playing the game. The story wasn't particularly amazing nor is the music very memorable, but there was a definite satisfaction with winning battles through careful planning and positioning. I did feel that the theme of the game revolving around music was odd and jarring at times though.

Would I recommend it if you liked Kamidori? Yeah, I would. But expect to face some difficulties getting accustomed to the battle system.

Some help getting all of the CG Collection

Spoiler
  • Page 2: Missing 1 frame from Demon God Vapura confrontation. I have no clue what this is supposed to be
  • In general: A ton of the CGs I missed were the attack animation ones, so if you're missing some that are solo character and look like they're posing, it's probably that. I used the 30 mana final skill, but it might work with the less expensive ones? Not sure.

----

Waiting with bated breath for Amayui full translation. From the chapters I played, I think I'd go with Kamidori > Amayui > Kami no Rhapsody.

Kami no Rhapsody is severely lacking in part because Eushully designed it with an eventual possible port to mobiles and tablets in mind (you can tell by the unnecessary touchscreen compatibility and a few other aspects), and the way the progression is handled.  In a single playthrough it is hard to progress characters sufficiently to make them effective at all in the last few battles, much less a trump card.   On the second playthrough, it is possible to make the whole cast usable... but the fact that it pretty much takes the entire second playthrough says everything you need to know.

The medal system is also a point of unnecessary complication in an already unnecessarily complicated setup.  To be blunt, at the very least, they should have had special abilities, attacks, and skills unique to the character available without equipping the medals in question.  Customization is all very well and good, but it shines the most when every character shares the same or similar abilities, not in a setting where every character has different abilities/skills/tendencies.  

Story-wise, Kami no Rhapsody is fairly decent as Eushully games go, being better than the company's kusoge entries (Sankai Ou no Yubiwa and Himegari) but not matching its better entries (Ikusa Megami series, Genrin, Madou Koukaku).  It has the advantage of having only two heroines and their accompanying paths, but the lack of the more varied ending stories you see in the better Eushully games, plus the way the non-human heroines all get sidelined once you hit the actual path to the endings, makes the game weaker than it should have been, given that it is a one-off.  The best contrast in terms of story that was also good by this company is Soukoku no Arterial, which had three main paths, plus variances on the final ending depending on which heroine you pursued (the demon ending, which only has one outcome, being set aside) or Ikusa Megami Verita, which was split into the True History, Darkness, and Light paths which had immensely varying outcomes.  

Like Kamidori and Amayui, it is a game that had a lot of potential but was tripped up by various parts that made me wince.  When I tried to replay it last year, it felt similarly to when I played it when it was first released... a game that is ruined in part by its protagonist, in part by the battle system, and in part by the fact that half the game seems to be centered around finding excuses for h-scenes with every female available.  Amayui is probably the most tolerable of the three by several degrees, at least in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

im playing it now and it is such a chore , gameplay wise. unless im mistaken, which i think i am, you have to go back to the shrine of the end to change your medal saves which is really, really annoying and tedious and i couldve sworn based on how poorly some of the design and the massive size of the ui that this came before kamidori and was shocked to find out it was released 4 years after kamidori. you would think they wouldve gotten better but they really went down.

like i said, especially in fights the ui information is massive while youre playing on a very small screen for movements, attacks, and enemy placement information. ill still play it and get all the cgs but this is being uninstalled as soon as im done with it.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. At least that's what I think in regard of Eushully UI. As for medals, you can change it before you're going to enter a dungeon so you didn't need to go back to the shrine, although I understand if you manage to miss that feature because it's not quite visible or you already think on going to the dungeon (Speaking from my experience).

2 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

the ui is just horrible. everything is just too big with info that couldve been condensed. and ill look into switching medals without goign to the shrine of the end

Like I say beforehand you can change the medal before entering any dungeon. Just chose any dungeon (Other than Shrine of the End obviously) and look out the button with the text 'Equip God Medal', and you'll be able to change the medal like in the Shrine of the End. Although if you want to change the medal in battle as well, unfortunately it won't happen so you better prepared or just save and load often. Hope it'll be help.

Edited by littleshogun

On 8/1/2020 at 5:24 PM, wyldstrykr said:

i dont like those going back to the shrine of end every now and then looking for a new scene. i probably miss some scenes

iirc, you can just go to some random areas then immediately quit to get those scenes. 

This is a decent game with interesting characters. I dropped halfway because of the protagonist :mellow:

Edited by droganpc

To answer the question whether this is already translated or not, then I'll say yes it's fully translated and it's including all of the images as well (The narration was already fully translated from back at January). Technically speaking there still an untranslated choice, but I only find it in the extra menu at scene viewer and it's just in regard of asking whether you want to back to the title or not. So if you want to play it, then go ahead and have fun.