Where japanese discuss visual novel?

Narko

Otaku forums are mostly dying across the world... and those that aren't dead are at an all-time low point.  I prefer forums, because they are more homey, less impersonal and momentary-feeling than a reddit or a chat application (twitter and Facebook being too evil for words).  It is hard to create a true microcosm of a community inside of any other type of online social media.  I used to be a member of about fourteen Japanese otaku forums, but they are all dead, the last one having died about six months ago after almost a year of activity lower than here.

17 minutes ago, adamstan said:

I've heard/read in many places, that forums have been dying in general for a quite long time already - in favor of more recent social media platforms.

Still, the OP question stays. The English-speaking VN fandom migrated mostly to Reddit and Discord communities, what would be the equivalent for Japan, if there is one? 

18 hours ago, Clephas said:

Otaku forums are mostly dying across the world... and those that aren't dead are at an all-time low point.  I prefer forums, because they are more homey, less impersonal and momentary-feeling than a reddit or a chat application (twitter and Facebook being too evil for words).  It is hard to create a true microcosm of a community inside of any other type of online social media.  I used to be a member of about fourteen Japanese otaku forums, but they are all dead, the last one having died about six months ago after almost a year of activity lower than here.

16 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Still, the OP question stays. The English-speaking VN fandom migrated mostly to Reddit and Discord communities, what would be the equivalent for Japan, if there is one? 

I think the death of forums can largely be attributed to Reddit with Discord behind it. I never understood the appeal of Reddit. I hate the format, I hate the karma system, and it doesn't foster any sense of community. Sometimes I feel like I'm alone in disliking Reddit so much, especially considering how popular it is. The karma system in particular I think is toxic, as it incentivizes hive-mind thinking and discourages unconventional/unpopular opinions. 

3 minutes ago, Zalor said:

I think the death of forums can largely be attributed to Reddit with Discord behind it. I never understood the appeal of Reddit. I hate the format, I hate the karma system, and it doesn't foster any sense of community. Sometimes I feel like I'm alone in disliking Reddit so much, especially considering how popular it is. The karma system in particular I think is toxic, as it incentivizes hive-mind thinking and discourages unconventional/unpopular opinions. 

Reddit is just another Facebook.  I tried it once and once was enough for me to delete my account.  Discord... doesn't encourage community at all.  It just encourages non-informative random conversation (just like all chat apps).

I think I have the answer. They probably congregate in 2ch.

Doubtful that the Japanese use Reddit - the language barrier is large. I've seen very few Japanese there.

EDIT: 2ch is now 5ch and it looks like a blog. WTF?

Edited by supercar

52 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Discord... doesn't encourage community at all.  It just encourages non-informative random conversation (just like all chat apps).

I agree, thats the reason why I hardly use Discord and never found chat-apps appealing. Most of the conversations I had on those felt like I was wasting my time. 

5 minutes ago, Zalor said:

I agree, thats the reason why I hardly use Discord and never found chat-apps appealing. Most of the conversations I had on those felt like I was wasting my time. 

I concur. I did partake in interesting discussion in one game-related channel but most of the time people spam random memes.

I want to have an actual conversation, not just play around.

Edited by supercar

14 hours ago, supercar said:

I think I have the answer. They probably congregate in 2ch.

Doubtful that the Japanese use Reddit - the language barrier is large. I've seen very few Japanese there.

EDIT: 2ch is now 5ch and it looks like a blog. WTF?

I remember 5ch prevents foreigner to go in, how did you access it?

5 hours ago, Narko said:

I remember 5ch prevents foreigner to go in, how did you access it?

I just clicked on the link for the official website and it opened. It's been more than 5 years since I went to 2ch/5ch so I wasn't aware it had changed names and layout.

Since my Japanese is atrocious, I don't even know if I'm on the right page, but I can see posts.

Edited by supercar

2 minutes ago, supercar said:

I just clicked on the link for the official website and it opened. It's been more than 5 years since I went to 2ch/5ch so I wasn't aware it had changed names and layout.

Since my Japanese is atrocious, I don't even know if I'm on the right page, but I can see posts.

can you give me the link? Pretty please

57 minutes ago, Narko said:

can you give me the link? Pretty please

As it turns out I was on the landing page where they post the website's news. http://5ch.net/

Here is the list of boards: http://www2.5ch.net/5ch.html

And here is the eroge board: http://phoebe.bbspink.com/hgame/

I am from Brazil and it works for me without a VPN.

Edited by supercar

16 minutes ago, Narko said:

What the hell? The eroge board refuses to open for me, I knew it, but why?

I guess I'll need a vpn but I don't know where and how to use those...

Then it must be IP blocked in Europe and North America. I wouldn't be able to help you with a VPN because I don't normally use them.

I just read that they don't work well with 5ch anyway.

I have tried free services before but they are astoundingly slow, and not all of them let you have a fake Japanese IP.

Apparently, to even make posts in 5ch you have to pay. Sucks.

Edited by supercar

10 minutes ago, Narko said:

what the hell? Japanese prefer to group and pay for discussing VN than using a forum? Is this for real?

Yeah, I mean, it is the predecessor to 4chan. 4chan is free with ads, but to make new threads and respond to them in 5ch you need premium.

At least that's the information I was able to gather. I never knew how to get around in that website anyway. There exists a clone of 2ch http://2ch.sc/2ch.html.

No eroge board though.

I was able to find Japanese subreddits, but they are overrun with spam. I just checked.

If there's a Japanese Discord where they discuss H-games, I am not aware of it.

Edited by supercar

You need to pay in order to post on 5ch from overseas IP. If you have domestic IP and provider is not blacklisted (that means no VPNs) you can post for free.

You can find more information about the premium service here: https://premium.5ch.net/

Make sure to call your bank to ensure that overseas transaction won't be rejected.

Forums, blogs, etc have been dying, in preference to modern social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook... and chat applications like LINE, Discord...

Edited by uyjulian