Why male protagonists in most 18+ games have no voices?

[Hun]Lepto

13 minutes ago, LegalLoliLover said:

To be fair, it's not just the eroge that do it (see Dragon Quest).

Dragon quest has done this differently i think. Think i read that VIII had a very nice protagonist with different expressions. 11 however... Even a zombie has bigger emotional range than him. What possessed them to design him this way is beyond me. Who can relate to that shit?

On 2020. 04. 09. at 7:26 AM, supercar said:

I am the same, though even with self-insert protagonists I don't see myself as them. There are reasons for that, one is that I cannot imagine myself as another person, at least in terms of personality. I don't have the exact thoughts as the main character either.

In any kind of media, I can relate to the protagonists but I am always the observer. I second the tag recommendations.

You will probably want to stay away from "Hetare" and "Boke" as well. "Hetare" are the classic spineless MCs that people complain about.

I'm another newbie - I've known VNs for ages but read very little so far.

One thing I've seen is a protagonist with a face in CGs but no voice, and in H scenes he is faceless or does not appear.

Thanks, added them to my excluded tags on VNDB and I will try to remember this.

I dont think its all self-insert reasons though, like Grisaia's protag dont have anything and no way in hell anyone can self-insert into him with how multi-talented he is.

23 hours ago, Okarin said:

Self-insert reasons; but high-budget, serious VNs like Steins;Gate have fully-fleshed, voiced protagonists (Chaos;Head and Chaos;Child too).

hate those MCs, big reason I stopped reading Chaos Child halfway (even after buying it on my Vita!) 

On 4/13/2020 at 2:47 AM, LegalLoliLover said:

To be fair, it's not just the eroge that do it (see Dragon Quest).

lots of games does it like Dragon Age and Persona series to name a few.

Everyone voiced is nice but guessing budget doesnt allow for it 

Edited by Freestyle80

5 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

I dont think its all self-insert reasons though, like Grisaia's protag dont have anything and no way in hell anyone can self-insert into him with how multi-talented he is.

hate those MCs, big reason I stopped reading Chaos Child halfway (even after buying it on my Vita!) 

lots of games does it like Dragon Age and Persona series to name a few.

Everyone voiced is nice but guessing budget doesnt allow for it 

I think western devs craft better silent protagonists. The way the stories are told they easily get away by being silent. In japanese games however they more often than not come off as goofs too stupid to have anything meaninful to say. Grunts, moans, nods.. It often just don't work..

Edited by Stormwolf