`

By getting sent more review keys that I can ever go through.

It seems that just by being something as rare as a dedicated VN reviewer you get quite a lot of people willing to give you stuff, even when you're beyond the point where you can promise coverage with any kind of certainty... ^_^

Oh, also VNDB tags, game jams, recommendations from fellow Fuwans... The backlog never stops growing. :notlikemiya:

I don't really need to look for new VNs at all anymore, since with my reading speed I will probably never be able to finish my huge backlog anyway. :vinty: But, overall, I just find VNs on vndb or through a word of mouth, and read a few reviews or look through vndb tags to decide if I want to read them. Or I just buy them randomly and then start reading them in a few years. :makina:

VNDB, Getchu, checking my favorite companies' sites, occasionally word of mouth.

When I first started playing, I essentially got everything that Accany had reviewed positively, though I regretted many of those purchases later.

9 hours ago, Fresh AF (not really) said:

Browse vndb out of boredom, also I wouldn't buy from MangaGamer rn due to the discord leaks

Not buying from MG due to discord leak seems kind of stupid if you ask me, I would guess pretty much anyone in retail sometimes behind closed doors talk about annoying customers. And considering the 90% piracy rates and low pay I think it is pretty understandable that they rant among themselves when people are acting in an annoying way. 

Basically they said some people on discord were annoying like Rance fans or something and it blew up, some youtubers made some videos and pretty much tried to get people to boycot them because anyone who ever in any way for any reason in any place should never ever say anything mean about potential customers or they are litteral scum of the earth and any company they are associated with should go bankrupt.

I totally get that. Why people expect companies to be living robots is beyond me. If people are rude and annoying they'd probably need to vent, same as anyone.

And who's surprised fans of a rape somulator is annoying? I sure arent.

Edited by Stormwolf

On 3/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, bakauchuujin said:

Not buying from MG due to discord leak seems kind of stupid if you ask me, I would guess pretty much anyone in retail sometimes behind closed doors talk about annoying customers. And considering the 90% piracy rates and low pay I think it is pretty understandable that they rant among themselves when people are acting in an annoying way. 

I can understand retail workers, they're doing their 9-5 for to make a living. However it's different than, say, translation/localization for VN's since not a lot of people get into retail for the joy of it to start. Although I can't speak from experience, I'd assume VN translation isn't one of those "I gotta make money somehow" jobs? If anything, if you are deciding to work with a company dedicated to translating VN's, not exactly a mainstream game genre, then it's safe to assume you do it because you enjoy visual novels, which is something the people in the leaks didn't even seem to show a sliver of that passion. It'd be like if you wanted to get into teaching anatomy but you hate life sciences.

2 hours ago, Fresh AF (not really) said:

if you are deciding to work with a company dedicated to translating VN's, not exactly a mainstream game genre, then it's safe to assume you do it because you enjoy visual novels, which is something the people in the leaks didn't even seem to show a sliver of that passion.

Well considering the leaks likely just picked out some of the worst examples they could find of them being annoyed at people I think it makes sense that these specific likely cherry picked parts don't contain enthusiasm for VNs. I think it would be odd for everything someone says with coworkers even if they are enthusiastic about their work would be filled with passion for their work, especially if there are annoying parts of their work. For instance mangaka sometimes complain about insane work hours and usually low pay but seem to generally do it for passion, though if you were to isolate specific parts of some conversations my guess is that you could likely easily frame them as having no passion for the medium as all you do is just pick the specific parts that show them in a negative light while removing anything that shows their passion. 

3 hours ago, Fresh AF (not really) said:

It'd be like if you wanted to get into teaching anatomy but you hate life sciences.

No it would be more like wanting to get into teaching, but sometimes complain about certain students not paying attention or bad school books or something like that and then have those instances cherry picked while everything else that shows your passion for teaching not being shown.

About Mangagamer leak, I'm surprised that nobody think more about on whoever leak the info or what their motive is. I say this because the server section was surely would be only available for the staffs, and of course no normal people would easily see it. If the one who leak it was indeed a staff, perhaps there might be some discord happened between the staffs at Mangagamer's Discord (Sorry for the pun here). By the way I think that Mangagamer would likely set the section to be only visible for the staffs, so the chance of normal people seeing that should be none (Besides it's supposed to be the company's secret, and no normal people should know the company's secret). So once again I'm more leaned toward a rogue staff intended to give a protest toward Mangagamer's staffs, and so he/she decided to leak their Discord conversation as a form of protest.

Anyway as for the thread title, nowadays I just browse announcements from the convention such as AX or Otakon, because usually there's where many interesting VNs was announced to be translated. Other than that, I guess I look at the news of VN release and see if the VN is interesting to me or not. By the way my focus here is only play translated VNs.

Edited by littleshogun