Worst VN of The Decade?

mitchhamilton

On ‎2020‎年‎2‎月‎29‎日 at 9:29 PM, Clephas said:

As a matter of personal taste and sheer rage?  Aiyoku no Eustia

I'm close; for me, it isn't the worst VN, but Most Disappointing.  August really dropped the ball with that one, screwing up on almost every take.  At least they've (seemingly) learned from it?

No, while I usually avoid the truly bad games, the worst one I can remember playing was probably Juukishi Cutie ☆ Bullet, a game so bad the company apologized for it.  That one really suckered me.  Even for the discounted price I paid it, I was horribly ripped off.

God, even remembering it makes angry.  Soooo pissed about that pile of shit.

5 hours ago, Toranth said:

I'm close; for me, it isn't the worst VN, but Most Disappointing.  August really dropped the ball with that one, screwing up on almost every take.  At least they've (seemingly) learned from it?

No, while I usually avoid the truly bad games, the worst one I can remember playing was probably Juukishi Cutie ☆ Bullet, a game so bad the company apologized for it.  That one really suckered me.  Even for the discounted price I paid it, I was horribly ripped off.

God, even remembering it makes angry.  Soooo pissed about that pile of shit.

Eustia was the game that turned my faint dislike of ladder-style structure VNs into absolute loathing.  I don't think I've ever encountered a VN that was more inconsistent with how it handled internal consistency between the routes... and considering the fact that Tia is the weakest of all the heroines by miles (both personality wise and in terms of characterization/character development) that was a mistake.  

I liked ALL of the other heroines, and I was immensely annoyed at the fact that Eustia's path essentially blithely says all the other paths are impossible based on the realities of what is going on there.  It is one thing to make the other heroine paths essentially less important to the story or have the story cut off early... but Eustia essentially created a bunch of paths that didn't even meet the standards of 'what if'.  

The setting was good, the protagonist was good (until Eustia's path, where he suddenly became a total turd), and there was a pretty good lineup of characters (other than Eustia/Tia who sucks).  Unfortunately, the true ending essentially ruins everything from the bottom up.

4 hours ago, Clephas said:

Eustia was the game that turned my faint dislike of ladder-style structure VNs into absolute loathing.  I don't think I've ever encountered a VN that was more inconsistent with how it handled internal consistency between the routes... and considering the fact that Tia is the weakest of all the heroines by miles (both personality wise and in terms of characterization/character development) that was a mistake.  

I liked ALL of the other heroines, and I was immensely annoyed at the fact that Eustia's path essentially blithely says all the other paths are impossible based on the realities of what is going on there.  It is one thing to make the other heroine paths essentially less important to the story or have the story cut off early... but Eustia essentially created a bunch of paths that didn't even meet the standards of 'what if'.  

The setting was good, the protagonist was good (until Eustia's path, where he suddenly became a total turd), and there was a pretty good lineup of characters (other than Eustia/Tia who sucks).  Unfortunately, the true ending essentially ruins everything from the bottom up.

Wow, thats more or less exactly what i thought. Didnt know the vn totally shat on the side routes though, but i knew it had a less than stellar end. I usually want to know if a vn has a shitty end before i start because i dont want to waste my time. Dont really want to know endings though, just if it's good, bitter or horrible.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:37 AM, Silvz said:

hmmmm Himawari

Holy **** what a coincidence, I just real quick remembered this game, as a result decided to come visit fuwa because of it, saw this thread title and thought "Himawari", I go in and the first reply was "Himawari"!

And yeah I agree, overall between the boring slice-of-life main routes (common, Aries, Aqua and Asuka) and the terrible let-down cliffhanger no-resolution ending, that game is overall a case of missed opportunities and self-tripping flagellation. The only redeeming feature of the game was it's two side-stories (only unlocked when you finish all main routes) which were far more interesting than anything else the game had to offer.

This seem to be common of this writer, his other game "ISLAND" also had a terrible ending which felt like it resulted in the game amounting to nothing, but AT LEAST the common route was funny, which is more than I can say of Himawari.

2 minutes ago, Nier said:

This seem to be common of this writer, his other game "ISLAND" also had a terrible ending which felt like it resulted in the game amounting to nothing, but AT LEAST the common route was funny, which is more than I can say of Himawari.

Good that I haven't bought "Island" yet then (scared off by the high price on Steam) :P Himawari sits on my account, but my backlog is huge ;)

Edited by adamstan

6 hours ago, Nier said:

Holy **** what a coincidence, I just real quick remembered this game, as a result decided to come visit fuwa because of it, saw this thread title and thought "Himawari", I go in and the first reply was "Himawari"!

And yeah I agree, overall between the boring slice-of-life main routes (common, Aries, Aqua and Asuka) and the terrible let-down cliffhanger no-resolution ending, that game is overall a case of missed opportunities and self-tripping flagellation. The only redeeming feature of the game was it's two side-stories (only unlocked when you finish all main routes) which were far more interesting than anything else the game had to offer.

Yeah, I've been wanting to play Island, but then I found out it was written by the same author. Now it dropped to the very end of my to-read list

Edited by Silvz

6 hours ago, Nier said:

Well, maybe it's actually good that I dropped it after Aqua's route. :makina:  Which, as far as I remember, was pretty terrible. The plot twist at the end was so stupid that it somehow managed to destroy everything that about this story that was actually done well.

And, to be honest, it could be a lot better if it stopped pretending to be serious science fiction and made Aqua the protagonist for the whole game and not just the 2048 chapter.

Though I'll probably still try to finish it eventually. When I stopped playing it, I was convinced that one day I'll return to this VN with fresh mind and try giving it another try. Himawari was the game that I really, really wanted to like. The overall idea of the story is pretty interesting and unique for a VN. The game itself was kind of meh and was the cause of my biggest VN burnout so far.

13 hours ago, Clephas said:

Well... Now I'm not even sure that I'm waiting for this VN translation anymore. Because this sounds almost exactly why I didn't like G-Senjou.

• 2 weeks later...