MangaGamer 2020 Licensing Survey

Mr Poltroon

7 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for the scandal, like I said it's probably caused not by someone who have a sense of justice to reveal their inner working for the sake of the fans, but rather to get revenge because the leaker was probably have some grudge or didn't like on how the system in Mangagamer is going (Remember that no one can access staffs discussion easily unless they're one of the member that allowed to access it, so basically it's private matter only to the staffs). So it's more than possible that the leaker is one of the former staffs, and it's not limited to Arunaru even though his motive is the most obvious as of now. And yes I know that OAG did show some discussion from general channel in that it's accessible for public, although my point still remain though in that the discussion is more or less private matter.

Say what you will regarding the leaker's motives, for good or ill. Thanks to his actions, we get to see the inner working of Mangagamer Staffs on what they really think about the Visual Novels/Eroges they translate and their fans in general.

So what if it is a private matter? The fact still stands that Mangagamer Staffs despises their own fanbase. Period...

I'll think twice of supporting a company with this kind of mindset.

Are you alright with that or are you somewhat condoning their actions? Perhaps you only care about the Visual Novels/Eroges they published?

8 hours ago, littleshogun said:

JAST, well if by good it mean that the company should release one VN per month just like Mangagamer did then yeah JAST is a bad company in regard of VN publishing lol. That said, they piled up more well known licenses such as Sumaga and Muramasa so I can see on where the infamy come from. They recently improved though with their releases in this year (Kimikoi and Flowers Autumn), although it's still not quite enough to rival even Sekai or Nekonyan in number of releases (At least JAST release number can rival Sol Press if anything else). In the end, whether JAST is bad or good is up to each of their own, although if you thought that JAST is good because it license your favorite VN such as Eiyuu Senki or Saya no Uta then it's okay.

Mangagamer could only operate as it is by exploiting passionate and underpaid translators. The method of enabling them to published VNs every month is somehow questionable, however I suppose they're above it as long as they achieve their quota. Most of their titles in the past consist of mostly nukige shit, their taste in titles selection somehow improved when they started to publish story driven VNs such as Kara No Shoujo. I admit I have a rather soft spot for JAST USA since their games are the ones that help me discover the VN world in the first place. The only fault I find in them is as you mentioned which is their slow rate of publishing VNs.

What do mean by Kimikoi?

I was shock to see that otome lol? You should have just said Totono to avoid confusion XD

9 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Lastly I won't say that OAG here is a reliable source seeing that they like to use controversy to get some view and they already infamous along with their news are very subjective (Some of those), but I guess there's no much media that want to discuss the detail behind Mangagamer discord leak very much other than OAG.

Let's just agree to disagree since the advent of the Internet Age. Truth itself is now a rare commddity these days and Fake News is the norm. I chose that website out of convenience as its rather tedious to find reputable sites as reference and most them has the same content. In the end I didn't realize how dark the VN translation industry is...

If there's one thing that Mangagamer does right, is by bringing their games to GOG.COM!

I'm willing to forgive or even overlook their exploitation practices if they bring all of their Steam Catalogue to GOG.COM!

As what can we do anyway? We're just speck of dust in the grand scheme of things....

On 9/17/2020 at 6:45 PM, Templarseeker said:

Say what you will regarding the leaker's motives, for good or ill. Thanks to his actions, we get to see the inner working of Mangagamer Staffs on what they really think about the Visual Novels/Eroges they translate and their fans in general.

So what if it is a private matter? The fact still stands that Mangagamer Staffs despises their own fanbase. Period...

I'll think twice of supporting a company with this kind of mindset.

Are you alright with that or are you somewhat condoning their actions? Perhaps you only care about the Visual Novels/Eroges they published?

Well I admit that thanks to the leaker I can treat the survey as formality, and from there I can learn to not put too much expectation for a certain VNs to be localized by Mangagamer (It didn't help that the survey results so far is pretty predictable with Fate or WA2 is always top 10). As for why it's private matter, well the general public is supposed to not know about the staffs opinion behind the scenes (Unless they chose to reveal it by themselves, although I doubt they agree with this kind of leak). About on whether I'm alright or condoning their action, it's their private business so only them that can judge the actions that they did. For one more suggestion, I would say not only Mangagamer staffs that was so-called despises their own fanbase, some companies also probably have some of their staffs who think like that, or if I want to put it nicely every company (Or in this case translation companies) have skeleton in their own closet.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:45 PM, Templarseeker said:

Mangagamer could only operate as it is by exploiting passionate and underpaid translators. The method of enabling them to published VNs every month is somehow questionable, however I suppose they're above it as long as they achieve their quota. Most of their titles in the past consist of mostly nukige shit, their taste in titles selection somehow improved when they started to publish story driven VNs such as Kara No Shoujo. I admit I have a rather soft spot for JAST USA since their games are the ones that help me discover the VN world in the first place. The only fault I find in them is as you mentioned which is their slow rate of publishing VNs.

What do mean by Kimikoi?

I was shock to see that otome lol? You should have just said Totono to avoid confusion XD

As for this topic, well Arunaru did say that Mangagamer did exploit the translator so perhaps it might be the truth. Which bring me that some other companies didn't have their own translator resign and complained about on how much they got underpaid when they need to do a very hard translation work (Although there's Sol Press), and of course there's no reason for the former employee to bring down the company (Hopefully never happen). That said, even though it sounds like the truth there's still some doubt behind the post that tell the reason behind Mangagamer's method, so perhaps the best way to approach the post from Arunaru would be take it with a grain of salt. Another reason that I can think of here would be that it's possible some of Japanese's culture of work is still lingering within Mangagamer, so obviously they put the work first in order to get the VN release as much as possible. Also even before Kara no Shoujo, they already have some story driven VN such as Kira Kira, Shuffle, and Higurashi even though the translation is bad.

Yeah I now that I should call it Totono, although I'll keep calling it as Kimikoi anyway seeing that it's the first and last word in the full title, and that there's no way JAST will license that otome VN (It's just a doujin VN based on Yowamushi Pedal).

PS - As for OAG, now that I read it more I guess it's more like they sort of force their own interpretation into what they think about the screenshot, or it's more than likely that they might not understand the context beneath the screenshot from general section.

Edited by littleshogun

guys, that whole 'MG hates the fans" is like from last year? Maybe before? They've moved on, the community has moved on, so do it too. Every company talks about their custumers, they only had the bad luck of having it leaked. MG does a lot of good for the localization scene, providing a good quality job and a good selection of games.

13 hours ago, Silvz said:

guys, that whole 'MG hates the fans" is like from last year? Maybe before? They've moved on, the community has moved on, so do it too. Every company talks about their custumers, they only had the bad luck of having it leaked. MG does a lot of good for the localization scene, providing a good quality job and a good selection of games.

Yeah, the shit behind peoples backs is normal. It's mostly a coping mechanism as people don't really realize how much of a piece of shit they are, and then it's the quantity of pieces of shits a customer service employee has to deal with. Need to unload and vent, and this happens for every every profession where you deal with customers. Getting angry and talking shit to customers directly is inexcusable though. Make proper rules and when kids keep pestering on NSFW channels, warn and ban if the little shit doesn't get it though his skull. Then vent in private with coworkers :D 

Edited by Stormwolf

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Yeah, the shit behind peoples backs is normal. It's mostly a coping mechanism as people don't really realize how much of a piece of shit they are, and then it's the quantity of pieces of shits a customer service employee has to deal with. Need to unload and vent, and this happens for every every profession where you deal with customers. Getting angry and talking shit to customers directly is inexcusable though. Make proper rules and when kids keep pestering on NSFW channels, warn and ban if the little shit doesn't get it though his skull. Then vent in private with coworkers :D 

So very true. People just shitting around is rather common, getting annoyed at times is understandable.

Though what does concern me is the exploitation of passion that's happening. It will just suck drive out of people and getting inspired works will keep getting rarer. But then again, as said it is not something unique to MG but rather happening in the industry (gaming too). It's just quite sad to be honest.